Do client's think that photographers are Art Directors or a Technician?

Do client's think that photographers are Art Directors or a

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
Does your client think that a Photographer is a Art Director (The Art Director who crafts, creates and build a beautiful image) or a Technician (What so difficult to take picture? Just press button lor)?

*Remember* I am not asking what you, as photographers think, but what your clients think a photographer's role is.

Last edited:
anyway, the bottom line of definition of a client is they "pay"

don't think too hard, just concentrate how to make them "pay"

if the client don't pay you or pay you peanuts, so what's good if they tell you that you are the greatest artist/photographer in the world?

that also "KNS"

Now i know why the local wedding scene is in a shamble. Squeeze them while u can eh?

Client do not care what the XXXXXX you are as long as you deliver. The one who cares on what labels are hung on are normally not working photographers..... we are more concerned about more important issues. This is the same **** as the artist or finger that clicks discussion that normally comes around on a regular basis.

it really depends on the client and their background.

if your client is from an ad agency, then you are a technician/artist
you better not try to upstage the AD or CD

why ask such question?
can you think of what are they thinking about you in their brain?

good point...

yep... why ask this question? if you are paid to do the job and they basically let you do it with minimal interference then i think just focus on getting the job done...

even if they appraoch you like a technician, it will only bother you if you let it bother you...

it's all in our heads too... ;)

I actually think this is a very important question.
I personally feel that the photographer plays a very important role as an art director of sorts.
an art director may have a rough idea of what idea he wants to convey but we as photographers have to translate the idea through composition, lighting, expressions, props, etc
Thus we need to have a mutual understanding of concept and then execute it.
If you are a technician and don't understand the concept well enough chances are your image will be lacking a certain magic.

If you approach most jobs as a technician then you will get the level of respect a technician gets...

On the clients' side, I get hired for certain jobs due to my vision (and art direction), and those are satisfying.
Certain jobs I get hired because I'm a photographer (a technician), and I just execute what the person needs.
I find that most clients in singapore see photographers as technicians, in other countries there's more respect for photographers with artistic vision.

I think we can go a long way in promoting photographers as craftsmen with artistic vision to raise our value!

heh... i think cheapo clients will treat photographers like maids... bao ka liao..

when talk price, technician,
when collecting photos, artist.

Different sectors hold different opinion on what the photographer should be. Some will expect you to craft the whole shebang, some will tell you to pop in and click the shutter.

Be nimble, lor.

Now i know why the local wedding scene is in a shamble. Squeeze them while u can eh?

no, do things that you like

and call it art, and when no more clients want to entertain you, can eat wind :sweatsm:

anyway, the bottom line of definition of a client is they "pay"

Now I know of at least one photographer to avoid and not to recommend to friends and clients. To suggest reading your clients' brains is infantile and smacks of arrogance.

TS's question is a good one, not so much for the answers but it indicates his dedication to his craft and reflects his approach to his work. As a client, I would like the photographer I hire to be a thinking person who can work in partnership with me to create my vision. This is especially true in advertising and product branding. If I were to choose between a photographer who thinks hard about his craft and his clients' need versus one who thinks hard about making me pay, the choice is really a no-brainer. :think:

In general, 'most' clients will expect a hired photographer to know or be able to capture them in their best possible angle/s, be able to spot important moments, and anticipate what comes next.

The onus is on the professional photographer - pro means being paid for pushing that shutter button.

But I think the bigger problem these days, are eager beavers who screws up the market rates for true toiling professional photographers. There are too many transitional photographers going around offering rediculous rates, and producing so-so snappy shotty end products, further undermining market faith in pro-photogs.

In general, 'most' clients will expect a hired photographer to know or be able to capture them in their best possible angle/s, be able to spot important moments, and anticipate what comes next.

The onus is on the professional photographer - pro means being paid for pushing that shutter button.

But I think the bigger problem these days, are eager beavers who screws up the market rates for true toiling professional photographers. There are too many transitional photographers going around offering rediculous rates, and producing so-so snappy shotty end products, further undermining market faith in pro-photogs.

Yes, a photographer, or any other profession for that matter, must be able to meet client's expectations. The photography business is not a regulated one, so you will see varying degrees of standard and professionalism which is not unlike real estate agents. But I suggest regardless of whether the photographer is a professional or "transitional" as you put it, attitude plays a key part. The responses of some of the pros to TS's question are very revealing and some are quite disappointing. As a consumer of photography services, I will certainly avoid some of them and I will also recommend my business associates and partners to avoid them.

Actually, I think while they might be a problem, they may be the very ones who will eventually drive clients (those who seek quality, at least) to those who can deliver. The clients who are driven purely by price point (at the expense of quality), you're probably better off leaving the 'eager beavers' to pick them up anyway, and spend your time on more worthwhile projects. You'll be hard pressed to convince a customer at Giordano shopping for a $10 t-shirt that he should walk over to Club21 and get one at $120.

The best thing to do is probably to think about how to position oneself near the goalpost, ready to take the rebound shot when the 'eager beavers' miss ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.