Do check-in your camera?

Shutter Crow

Nov 21, 2011
Hi Bros,

Thinking of bring my 5D during my business travels, and seems too clumsy to sling it on board.

Is it a good idea to pack it and check-in with your luggage? if yes, how should i protect it?

Thanks.

Never. Check. In. Your. Camera.

Unless you want to see this happen to your camera.

ok. then i will check in my laptop. carry camera.:bsmilie:

Laptop and camera, always carry-on. ALWAYS!

agree, u can always carry both camera and laptop

NVR EVER check-in laptop or camera...

u think the baggage staffs will handle ur bag like u do?

you mention this will be your business travel..yet u dare/want to check your laptop? Got to give you a thumbs up..:bsmilie:

Like other mentioned and i agree. Nv check in your camera and laptop..especially laptop..if anything happen..what are u going to work with when you're there?

Why not just get a mirrorless body with standard zoom/prime lens instead of 5D, which you've to include a selection of lenses :sweat: :sweat:

wow. lol brave traveler.

your check in luggage is pelican case?

Hi Bros,

Thinking of bring my 5D during my business travels, and seems too clumsy to sling it on board.

Is it a good idea to pack it and check-in with your luggage? if yes, how should i protect it?

Thanks.

Please check in your Canon 5D.

So that you can inform us later of your experience.

• Nothing happened to it. Everything was fine. Others are just paranoid. From now on you will always check in your DSLR.
• It got smashed when the luggage handlers threw the luggage around.
• It was stolen from the luggage by unknown persons.

Last edited:
Ok. Will try check in camera but declare fragile. Watch this space!

Ok. Will try check in camera but declare fragile. Watch this space!

So many people advise you not to, and you take the only advice that was sarcastic.
Good luck to you.

Just kidding. Thanks everyone for the inputs. Maybe a mirror less would be the alternative.

Hi Bros,

Thanks.

Just re-think this question again bro....... :embrass:

Just kidding. Thanks everyone for the inputs. Maybe a mirror less would be the alternative.

I'd never have the guts to check in my laptop n camera :) They stick to me in my backpack
Thank u for not doing so too bro.

A related question - do you put your wallet n credit cards in your check in luggage ? Have you considered seperating the lens from the body, placing each in some kinda lightly padded bag and carrying this with lap top in a bigger laptop bag ? Actual given the tight time frames in business travel today I'd be surprise u have time to shoot. Most companies do not allow for extra days even at your cost for hotel N expenses if you are an employee.

u just have to accept the cons of bringing dslr in your trip that u have to carry it with u. anyway it is not so hard to hand carry it as u r sitting all the time in ur flight and while leaving your belongings into the compartment. also in the airport lobby, u can sit most of the time to not feel the pain of carrying dslr. or if u r really clumsy, then go ahead on getting mirrorless camera as they are lighter. :D

Don't bring your 5D... get a cheap and small compact. Then you can wrap your cam with your clothes and check in your cam... most probably no problem :)

Anyway... I never check in my DSLR and laptop, I prefer to carry it with me, I got myself a good bag that can put both items in so no problem... but don't ever check in your laptop (with or without your harddisk - although frankly I don't know how you dismantle the harddisk from the computer) bcos harddisk is not the only fragile thing in your laptop - not forgetting your very very large LCD.