Do cheap CPL filter matter?

zhigang

Jun 18, 2010
Live in the West
Sorry, i found a real cheap CPL filter @ $10, then i went to see mass sales there are ppl selling at @40, but of cause that cheap CPL filter has no brand. Both feature HD.

Does it matter? or as long as it's CPL filter, it's the same? They both serves same purpose.

Sorry to ask, i am confused.. it's x4 the prices i find it werid.

Thanks! :)

yes it does.
it's like asking, does cheap glass on lens matters.

u pay top dollar for high quality glass on lens, but slap a cheapo low quality glass at the front to degrade everything that you paid for to get good IQ?

What you pay and what you get.
CPL filter serve you the same purpose but what you can compare if the build of the filter.
You'll pay extra for the brand, thickness of the filter, filter material, reflection of the filter, filter coating...

Yes it does matters. I had used a cheap cpl before and though it works well under bright light, it does give a magenta colour cast on my pictures. If you really need one, then get a good one. No point getting and expensive lens but then you slap on a filter thats good enough only to be used as a carrom striker.

When it comes to CPL filters, go for the proper brands like Hoya or B&W.

you can buy a cheap car and a expensive car.. same theory...

think about it, do you even feel at ease with using something that is a fraction of the price of a original(good quality one)...

I used a Tokina CPL before switching to a Kenko Pro 1D.... there was a huge difference.

can afford get a good one.

cannot afford get a lousy one. But do not complain when IQ comes out terrible.

You get what you pay for.

of course, but i think it's more of "going past a minimum point" rather than "getting the best"

same applies for almost anything where you pay exponential prices for quality.

in this case, minimum would be hoya, i guess.

with cheap filters you experience visible image degradation, higher chance of flaring, higher chance of failure (e.g. cpl comes apart) etc.

this is not to say that less cheap filters will not experience these, but at least the occurence of such will be at a tolerable point.

of course, but i think it's more of "going past a minimum point" rather than "getting the best"

same applies for almost anything where you pay exponential prices for quality.

in this case, minimum would be hoya, i guess.

with cheap filters you experience visible image degradation, higher chance of flaring, higher chance of failure (e.g. cpl comes apart) etc.

this is not to say that less cheap filters will not experience these, but at least the occurence of such will be at a tolerable point.

Hi all,
Was reading this thread with great interest.
Wondering what's the best brand to the bottom worst brand, in term of CPL/ND/GND?
Thanks in advance for the info. ;)

Hi all,
Wondering what's the best brand to the bottom worst brand, in term of CPL/ND/GND?

you can easily find out yourself,

and to be frank, for things like LEE versus SINGH RAY for gnd, it is all very debateable.

Hi all,

Best is a very subjective word..