Do birders own the spot once they see a bird?

gundamseed84

Dec 12, 2009
Just had a nasty encounter with a guy having big gear... i did not know there was this common kingfisher around until he wave to me. I thought he wanted to show me the bird but ended up I got scolded for walking and hanging around and he asked me to get lost. I wanted to take a look at the bird like 15m away and he kept asking me to leave.

Just curious in a public park do what extent does a bird photographer own the spot and how would you guys react. I told him this is a public place and standing far away behind i am not distubing him.

I have a photo of his face but i shall not post it (yet) though i am quite angry at such attitude of a bird photographer... makes me feel ashamed as a fellow hobbyist.

Don't like that lah. He maybe waiting the whole morning then you come disturb the bird. Let him take the shots then you go see shiok siok lah. Win-win. Hor

What would you do if some one block your shot and you miss the only opportunity to take the photo ?

It happen to me before.

Just when I want to shoot, some one head block the lens and what I got is his messy hair :(

When I want to take another shot, the subject have left. No more chances to take the photo.

cannot blame the person also mah, unless the person did it intentionally. TS didnt purposely dee siao his shot.
It has also happened to me before, but i didnt scold the guy. Blame it more on bad luck. Anyway, opportunities will always be there.

Yutaka Go said:
What would you do if some one block your shot and you miss the only opportunity to take the photo ?

It happen to me before.

Just when I want to shoot, some one head block the lens and what I got is his messy hair :(

When I want to take another shot, the subject have left. No more chances to take the photo.

That's life.

I was walking along concrete pavement...taking a stroll...and does that this path is closed for that photographer to take photos of bird and other members of public have to avoid it? I mean it's not as if he is hiding at some secluded area and I purposely go and disturb.

Even if other bird watchers want to look he cannot chase them away, at most ask them to stay further back and maintain silence.

I want to bring out this point because recently more and more people carrying big guns to parks for bird shooting which is good for promoting the hobby but it may come to a point whereby they are 'conquering' their own spots and other members of public have to give way to them, avoiding the spots they wanted to go? What about parents bring kids to parks and take a stroll and they can make some noise, ask the kids to shut up and go away? If people pass by and bird fly away, too bad that's life and try again. People move away is out of courtesy and consideration, not because they must.

Luckily there are some other nice birders whom I met when I go birding, who will invite people to join them and share some tips.

If he wants the bird to your own then go buy 1 and shoot at home, wild birds do not belong to anyone....we (guys) only own the bird we are born with.

Last edited:
Just had a nasty encounter with a guy having big gear... i did not know there was this common kingfisher around until he wave to me. I thought he wanted to show me the bird but ended up I got scolded for walking and hanging around and he asked me to get lost. I wanted to take a look at the bird like 15m away and he kept asking me to leave.

Just curious in a public park do what extent does a bird photographer own the spot and how would you guys react. I told him this is a public place and standing far away behind i am not distubing him.

I have a photo of his face but i shall not post it (yet) though i am quite angry at such attitude of a bird photographer... makes me feel ashamed as a fellow hobbyist.
post his photo in stomp. he doesn't own the place.

Last edited:
besides.. TS, you might have been interfering in his shoot without knowing.

Bottom line, it's a public park so anyone can walk around and enjoy the park and the birds. If I were to be in a park and decided to use my 15mm wide angle to shot landscape then can I stop or chase away anyone in my frame?

Alternatively, if the guy does not want to be disturbed by TS.... he could build his own "PRIVATE" park!

thats life..

all kind of people everywhere.
more people = more problem.. cant avoid 1..

the funny thing is if he hasn't wave to me i would have not notice anything and continued my stroll and walked away. He said by walking slowly along the pavement i would scare the bird away yet he thinks by talking loudly to me 15m away he would not scare it away.

U should have told him to buy the whole park and fence it up so no-one can disturb .

It's only a bird.

But if you replace it with a beautiful girl I can understand the logic of the guy having big gear is so protective about.

Because once you see a girl you own the spot. :)

the funny thing is if he hasn't wave to me i would have not notice anything and continued my stroll and walked away. He said by walking slowly along the pavement i would scare the bird away yet he thinks by talking loudly to me 15m away he would not scare it away.

I think what he means is a bird can't understand English. :)

tell the shooter the same thing. Get lost because he's near to a bird that u r shooting.

its a public place...don't expect everyone to check their surrounding all the time. if taking the shot is so important...the bird shooter should do something in advance e.g. put up sign, fence it up, get friends to police the area.. etc.