Do any people here use GorillaPod's in Singapore or for Travelling?

JohnTaylor

Jun 24, 2009
Hi all!

A while back I got the urge to buy a gorillapod with ballhead for my dslr because I was excited after viewing some gorillapod sites. I also thought it would be an easy to carry option instead of a normal tripod.

Since then I've never ever used it, except to take it out of the box at home. I found the legs to be quite stiff (understandably so, in order to keep it's shape when twisted around objects) which meant it was time consuming to straighten them out again for storage, handling, etc. Also meant the camera wasn't level, although that's what the ball head is for too.

So I'm wondering if there are any people here who regularly use a gorillapod for normal use, or when they travel.

Am I being too fussy? Or do I simply need to be more patient and learn a few tricks on how to use and handle it?

only good point about it is you don't have to find a relatively flat surface to let a conventional tripod stand. but at the same time, if you are photo taking on a barren land, it will be too low.

I've the same experience as you. Bought it, used it once outside and has been in storage ever since. It really is too short for most situations. It'll be great hiking, trekking especially for places with uneven ground. But im not into that kind of thing. Incidentally i just ordered a travel tripod from ebay yesterday. Benro mefoto for 155+, free shipping from hong kong. Folded its only 32cm in legth, it can reach up 1m plus and its 1.2kg. It takes a load up to 4kg! BENRO | Products | MeFoto Travel Tripods | MeFoto Compact Travel Tripods

My gorillapod is now relegated to compact flash stand duties when I need to shoot a quick tabletop shot and wanna play with a few angles :)

And yes I never actually took it outside to use. Ever.

I brought along the medium size for my trip to London. Useful on handrails, and small platform.
Not as friendly or safe as a tri pod but fit inside my bag together with x pro 1.

hmm do you have any idea to get GorillaPod Micro 800 in singapore? around how much?

i find it quite useful for night shots and taking pictures of myself when i am travelling alone...
other than that, not much use...
but then again, i can't think of other alternative at the moment...

I have the Gorilla Zoom which supposedly can take 3kgs. It hasn't been able to work as advertised with my 5D though. Works perfectly with my Oly OM-D and X100 but the 5D is my main travel camera so it's seeing very little use. Pity.

I bought a cheap ($15) China imitation from Mustafa some years back. I carry it frequently while traveling. I have always found something to wrap it against when shooting. I find it useful.

I have the Gorilla Zoom which supposedly can take 3kgs. It hasn't been able to work as advertised with my 5D though. Works perfectly with my Oly OM-D and X100 but the 5D is my main travel camera so it's seeing very little use. Pity.

hah. i thought i was the only one.

Currently i dont. But soon i might. because i dont go on a just photography trip.. and i cant see myself carrying n walking around with a regular tripod from morning to night. :bsmilie:

Currently i dont. But soon i might. because i dont go on a just photography trip.. and i cant see myself carrying n walking around with a regular tripod from morning to night. :bsmilie:

i did that for 7 days while on holiday

I use the SLR-Zoom model and find it very useful for night scenes, taking light trails on overhead bridges, etc. Sometimes, as it's not that cumbersome, it attracts less attention compared to tripod, which are not allowed in some tourist attractions.

I was stopped from setting up my tripod in a skybar. Then I saw someone else coil his gorilla pod around the railing for night shots. It can be useful that way.

May I ask, any bros here use gorillapod hybrid with a NEX setup? I'm currently contemplating if I shld get it or not. Would appreciate some user reviews. My nex6 plus a 50/1.4 plus adapter would probably weigh about 700g, and the pod hybrid is rated to withstand 800g, so I dunno if I'd be pushing the limit or not. Would the ballhead withstand an inbalance of weight due to relatively heavier lens?

Alternatively, do anyone of you know of any shop that has the gorillapod hybrid on display so I can actually check it out?
Not considering SLR zoom coz too expensive and Abit 'overkill'.
Thanks

theoretically, its very useful. practically, its not.