Do any of you guys buy a dry cabinet for compact/proconsumer cams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is. Fixed lenses still kena fungus.

however a dry box with silica gel may be more economical.

Dry Box can keep more then just camera/lenses/prosumer cam etc...

SG humid is high through out the year.

Advisable to get a dry box. You wouldn't want your len(s) to kenna fungus.

To be honest when i bought my first ( and only ) digital PnS > 5 yrs back
the idea of having a low humidity storage never did strike me. But it is still working fine :)
With the new found knowledge of dry cabinets, actually i am not entirely convinced u really need a dry cabinet for your PnS. For DSLR setups and lenses most of us will preach getting one for storage. How many people with PnS buys a dry cabinet anyway. Most of the time before it starts to grow fungus it is probably time to get another newer PnS.

But. For proper keeping sake, u might want to keep it with some silica i guess :think:

I sound abit contradictory. I think I am old

Ryan

To be honest when i bought my first ( and only ) digital PnS > 5 yrs back
the idea of having a low humidity storage never did strike me. But it is still working fine :)
With the new found knowledge of dry cabinets, actually i am not entirely convinced u really need a dry cabinet for your PnS. For DSLR setups and lenses most of us will preach getting one for storage. How many people with PnS buys a dry cabinet anyway. Most of the time before it starts to grow fungus it is probably time to get another newer PnS.

But. For proper keeping sake, u might want to keep it with some silica i guess :think:

I sound abit contradictory. I think I am old

Ryan

have to agree. few years ago i've gotten my p&s, i didn't even know what's a dry cabinet. :sweat::bsmilie:

i think it's fine unless... say your room has got a humidifier.

Yes it is. Fixed lenses still kena fungus.

however a dry box with silica gel may be more economical.

Oh, I was checking out some dry cabinets yesterday. How much is a dry box + silica gel combo? How often do I need to change the gel?

Thanks!

20+ can get new one liao....depends....mine every two weeks got to heat up the gel liao....that's why get a dry cabinet liao

Well the dry box gel combo has a lower startup cost, but always have to keep heating/changing the gel, which to me is very troublesome.

In the old days, there's no such thing as a dry cabinet, so we had to use these boxes. The moment a dry cabinet came out, I went to buy it, saves a lot of trouble.

However, if you only have a small camera, and seldom use, then dry box is okay. it can last quite long if you dont open the box, and its a good box.

Oh, I was checking out some dry cabinets yesterday. How much is a dry box + silica gel combo? How often do I need to change the gel?

Thanks!

Well the dry box gel combo has a lower startup cost, but always have to keep heating/changing the gel, which to me is very troublesome.

In the old days, there's no such thing as a dry cabinet, so we had to use these boxes. The moment a dry cabinet came out, I went to buy it, saves a lot of trouble.

However, if you only have a small camera, and seldom use, then dry box is okay. it can last quite long if you dont open the box, and its a good box.

Hmmm......what are the things I need to look out for to buy a dry cabinet (other than the size) :)

Hi! How often do you need to heat/change the gel (in S'pore's context)?

Hmmm......what are the things I need to look out for to buy a dry cabinet (other than the size) :)

Mainly the size. Some are analog while some are digitally controlled.

When the silica indicator turns color ?
It took a little more than 2 weeks for my silica to turn slightly pinkish blue.
but i would think it depends on the room environment

Ryan

i had my prosumer for half a year before i got a dry cab. by then i had my filters and lenses. whether got use or not is one thing, but i'll prefer to store my gears in a more suitable environment.

Hmm, I guess the only other thing is brand and digital/analog. Digital has more functions (can pre-set humidity to be maintained etc).

I haven't been using gel for many years, but I would put a ball park at a few months each time? Depends also how often you open the box and where you open it in (air con = dryer, non-aircon = wetter).

In general, so long as you take the camera outside into the sun frequently (at least every 2 weeks?) and shoot pics, fungus won't be so much of a problem becasue the sun's UV radiation can kill the spores.

I do own a prosumer and pns and I have a dry cabinet for them. I think in SG, the weather is very humid. Better be safe than sorry.

around how much is a dry cabinet?? and the size??

I'm afraid that later no space to put the cabinet..

Hi, CS members

After reading your feedbacks, I ask one question. Is it useful to leave dslr and lenses in everybody's working office like big buildings or shopping malls with air con 24hours / 7days?

The reason is we only use our home air-con for few hours every night we need. But cannot leave them in 12hours everyday so to save our spending money, we can leave them in office for 24 hours/7days. If ok, no need to buy dry cabinet.

If disagree, feel free to tell me your opinion?

Hi, CS members

After reading your feedbacks, I ask one question. Is it useful to leave dslr and lenses in everybody's working office like big buildings or shopping malls with air con 24hours / 7days?

The reason is we only use our home air-con for few hours every night we need. But cannot leave them in 12hours everyday so to save our spending money, we can leave them in office for 24 hours/7days. If ok, no need to buy dry cabinet.

If disagree, feel free to tell me your opinion?

As long as the humidity is about right like a dry cabinet I guess there is no stopping.
The other concern might be security ?

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.