DNP0i$onou$ Clubh0us3 - TCSS Thread XVII

Need a bit of IT advice if anyone can help:

I have:
1) a desktop PC running Windows XP, with a laser printer connected to it by USB
2) a laptop running Windows 7

Both are connected to the same router, and set to the same 'workgroup' under Network settings.

Previously, item #2 was another laptop running Win Vista. I was able to configure them such that print jobs could be sent from the laptop to be printed out via the desktop's USB connection to the laser printer.
The laptop has simply been replaced with a newer one, now running Win 7. But for some reason I cannot achieve the same 'connectivity' with this laptop.

any advice? :embrass:

Not sure if you have set your "desktop PC" to accept only certain machines to print.. (I have.. as I dont want tom.dick.harry to print on my printer...).. if have have set it such that only certain IP numbers are allowed to print.. then you will need to also include your "new" laptop into the list.. Not sure if that was your "problem"?

Not sure if you have set your "desktop PC" to accept only certain machines to print.. (I have.. as I dont want tom.dick.harry to print on my printer...).. if have have set it such that only certain IP numbers are allowed to print.. then you will need to also include your "new" laptop into the list.. Not sure if that was your "problem"?

ok will have to check on that. Something new to look into :) I didn't have to do that previously, but perhaps could have just gotten lucky.
I wouldn't really have to protect the printer, since my home network is pretty small, and I don't have 'unwanted guests' on it :) (or at least I don't know that any unwanted guests are on it!)

ok will have to check on that. Something new to look into :) I didn't have to do that previously, but perhaps could have just gotten lucky.
I wouldn't really have to protect the printer, since my home network is pretty small, and I don't have 'unwanted guests' on it :) (or at least I don't know that any unwanted guests are on it!)
Under Printer's Properties - Security is where I allow people (i know) to access the printer... since your is a home network.. may not want to bother with this... but whether Win7 required this to be activated, I'm not sure...

Guess under Printer's Properties - Sharing .. you have shared out your printer.. Wonder if you new laptop is able to find the printer?...

.. I'm no expert.. so only limited knowledge..

I have:

Both are connected to the same router, and set to the same 'workgroup' under Network settings.

Previously, item #2 was another laptop running Win Vista. I was able to configure them such that print jobs could be sent from the laptop to be printed out via the desktop's USB connection to the laser printer.
The laptop has simply been replaced with a newer one, now running Win 7. But for some reason I cannot achieve the same 'connectivity' with this laptop.

Bro, is your printer a network printer? If yes, just key in the IP address. If not, I'll PM you a way tt you can try.

anyone wants to play badminton @ Safra Mt Faber next saturday (12 Mar), 3-5pm?

I booked it online but seems a lot of the kakis are unavailable at that timing.
Don't wanna let the booking go to waste.

I have:

this is the setup I have... just so that everything is clearer :) The pics I just pulled off the net. Brands/models are different.
PCconnection.jpg

No IT expert here, but seems like it’s either a communication problem between your laptop and PC, or printer settings on your laptop. You can try these troubleshooting steps first:

1. make sure that your laptop can “see” your desktop by ping-ing it.
2. on your laptop, check your list of printers. The printer name should be something like “xxx printer on xxx PC”.

No IT expert here, but seems like it’s either a communication problem between your laptop and PC, or printer settings on your laptop. You can try these troubleshooting steps first:

1. make sure that your laptop can “see” your desktop by ping-ing it.
2. on your laptop, check your list of printers. The printer name should be something like “xxx printer on xxx PC”.

Smiles suggested that it may be firewall settings on the laptop (win 7).
Something for me to investigate further :)

But yeah, the laptop cannot find the printer through the network.

Smiles suggested that it may be firewall settings on the laptop (win 7).
Something for me to investigate further :)

But yeah, the laptop cannot find the printer through the network.

Win7 have to allow in 2 places before can see each other.

One is the home network thingy - need to allow to share comp files and printers... the other is firewall settings.