DNC Registry useless?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Second time today got a cold call selling some stuff. Both were ladies speaking Mandarin with "Unknown" numbers.

Pissed... DNC Registry don't seem to be working.

I already foreseen the weak enforcement when it started. A dog with no teeth, the bark is worst than its bite.

I seem to recall someone rebutting me on the other DNC thread
when I mention this :bsmilie:

Nevermind :) can you identify whether they represent a specific company etc ?
The problem with DNC is that the number they are using can be rerouted from overseas.
Even if its not, company can always claim that its not their official representative who made the call.
Will the agency pursue this ? probably not.. too costly..
Anyway I might have mentioned this before, but for the companies to check whether you are on DNC list,
they need to pay to the gov agency. Smart right ?

Nevermind :) can you identify whether they represent a specific company etc ?
The problem with DNC is that the number they are using can be rerouted from overseas.
Even if its not, company can always claim that its not their official representative who made the call.
Will the agency pursue this ? probably not.. too costly..
Anyway I might have mentioned this before, but for the companies to check whether you are on DNC list,
they need to pay to the gov agency. Smart right ?

Pretty sure from China.

I hung up in disgust immediately. But the next call I get, I will find out more details.

Pretty sure from China.

I hung up in disgust immediately. But the next call I get, I will find out more details.

I have use my smart phone feature to reject all calls begins with +86 country code = China

I have never get any calls from them since October 2013 :bsmilie:

I have use my smart phone feature to reject all calls begins with +86 country code = China

I have never get any calls from them since October 2013 :bsmilie:

Uncle said unknown numbers leh

DNC service will cease after 3 months. If you apply another multi sim within that 3 mths, you will need to wait for another 3 mths before cease. I mostly ignore those sms one, its their $ to mass boardcast, confirm more than the free sms. Heh heh!

It's worked very well for me, zero calls.

Can't imagine how they'll track companies who continue to use 'unknown' numbers.

dont think dnc works for china, hong kong......only local lar... i also long time no receive marketing call liao

dont think dnc works for china, hong kong......only local lar... i also long time no receive marketing call liao

Sounds like it's supposed to apply as long as the recipient is in SG.

19. Will the DNC Registry rules cover overseas telemarketers?

The PDPA shall apply to a marketing message addressed to your Singapore telephone number where:

- the sender is present in Singapore when the message is sent; or
- you are present in Singapore when the message is accessed.

If a Singapore organisation outsources the telemarketing function overseas, the Singapore organisation that authorised the sending of the message will need to comply with the DNC Registry rules and will be responsible for the sending of the message.

If both the telemarketing organisation and the organisation which outsourced its telemarketing function are overseas organisations and they send the message while you are overseas, the DNC Registry rules will not apply. For example, an overseas telecom service operator sending messages promoting their cheaper IDD service to you via the overseas telecom network will not need to check the DNC Registry.

- See more at: http://www.pdpc.gov.sg/faqs/faqs-for-individuals#IDNC19

But unless there's at least one sender in SG, there's little they can do.

9. Will the PDPC investigate telemarketing messages sent from overseas?

The PDPA applies in relation to a specified message sent to a Singapore telephone number where the sender is in Singapore when the message is sent or the recipient is in Singapore when the message is accessed.

Where a telemarketing message is sent from overseas and at least one of the senders is in Singapore, PDPC will investigate the complaint and take the appropriate action against the sender(s) in Singapore.

In relation to overseas senders, the PDPC will, where appropriate, work with our overseas counterparts to investigate into such cases.

- See more at: http://www.pdpc.gov.sg/faqs/faqs-for-individuals#IDNC19

If I get a call from some strange number, I just ignore. I received one nuisance SMS since DNC kicked in and I reported it to PDPC. Gotten a case number and they are on it. Insurance/property agents all gone! Yes!

Got another call today, again "Unknown number".

The lady claims to be from a "Xing Yue Company". I asked her "Singaporean company?" She said "yes". So I said "then I would like to have your company registration number first before we begin."

She hung up faster than a speeding bullet.

Aiya.. no need to be so straightforward :bsmilie:

Got another call today, again "Unknown number". The lady claims to be from a "Xing Yue Company". I asked her "Singaporean company?" She said "yes". So I said "then I would like to have your company registration number first before we begin." She hung up faster than a speeding bullet.

That's a nice trick I should learn :)

That one's a classic, remember listening to it non-stop :thumbsup: