DLUX4 or DP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupla

Mar 27, 2009
What do you all think?
DLUX4 or DP2?

But DP2's fixed focal range needs more than some getting used to.

No brainer, DP2.

The D-Lux 4 will have to beat the DP1 first before it takes on the DP2 ;)

See the difference....

Taken with the D-Lux 4
107407017.jpg

See the full-sized image here:
http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/107407095

Taken with the DP1
107407000.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/107407096

And... despite all the hype and raved reviews, the optical quality lens of the D-Lux 4 is actually not that great. It produces purple fringing under the right circumstances but the purple fringing is processed away effectively by the camera's jpeg engine. This is all well and good if the user does not intend to use the camera in RAW mode. But if he does, then the purple fringing would be there in the processed image and would require further post-processing on the part of the user to get rid of it. For example, compare the cropped examples of the RAW-processed image and the accompanying jpeg image here:

original.jpg

What this means is that the D-Lux 4 (and LX 3) is a RAW capable camera that does not produce the best image quality when used in RAW mode under certain circumstances. :(

These are 2 different cameras with different feature sets... and if image quality is not your absolute criteria and you do not intend to print big-big or shoot in RAW, then D-Lux 4 may be considered.

Last edited:
The D-Lux 4 will have to beat the DP1 first before it takes on the DP2 ;)

See the difference....

Taken with the D-Lux 4
107407017.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/107407095

Taken with the DP1
107407000.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/107407096

And... despite all the hype and raved reviews, the optical quality lens of the D-Lux 4 is actually not that great. It produces purple fringing under the right circumstances but the purple fringing is processed away effectively by the camera's jpeg engine. This is all well and good if the user does not intend to use the camera in RAW mode. But if he does, then the purple fringing would be there in the processed image and would require further post-processing on the part of the user to get rid of it. For example, compare the cropped examples of the RAW-processed image and the accompanying jpeg image here:

original.jpg

What this means is that the D-Lux 4 (and LX 3) is a RAW capable camera that does not produce the best image quality when used in RAW mode under certain circumstances. :(
Thanks so much for the informative reply.

The only issue I have with the DP2 is no zoom option. I'm very comfortable with using the optical zoom on my point-and-shoots and the DP2 will really take some getting used to. Except that the camera is so very robust and value for money I should just overlook that. Where did you get yours? I should go test it out sometime

Thanks so much for the informative reply.

The only issue I have with the DP2 is no zoom option. I'm very comfortable with using the optical zoom on my point-and-shoots and the DP2 will really take some getting used to. Except that the camera is so very robust and value for money I should just overlook that. Where did you get yours? I should go test it out sometime

Are you referring to the DP2? It is not available for sale yet. I was using the DP1 in those comparison shots.

Are you referring to the DP2? It is not available for sale yet. I was using the DP1 in those comparison shots.
Oh sorry I read it as DP2. It got released in Japan already, I read alot of japanese photoblogs and I see people using it so I didn't know it's not out here yet. Thanks for telling :)

Oh sorry I read it as DP2. It got released in Japan already, I read alot of japanese photoblogs and I see people using it so I didn't know it's not out here yet. Thanks for telling :)
umm.. I'm going to Japan next week... wonder if I should get it while I'm there.... :think:

umm.. I'm going to Japan next week... wonder if I should get it while I'm there.... :think:
definitely!
and it'd be so much cheaper there

Before buying DP1 or DP2, you have to know its few shortcoming too and see if it is a concern for your activity needs.

DP2 like the DP1 is very slow in focus, 1 second normal.
Flash photo + focus will take 2sec.
DP2 has no focus assist light, so cannot focus in low illuminated object.
DP1 has shallow macro.
Foveon (at this moment) has more color loss at iso800 above. So does well as daytime camera.
DP2 has no IS, so you really need to account for the shutter lag during lower speed to prevent minor shakes.
You must buy a spare battery.

However foveon is very good at color. In raw, SPP can reveal shadow area with much more color detail than other camera but experience not to overuse the SPP feature as it cause the whole pic to look flat.

AP Funan quoted me SGD1200.00 for the DP2

AP Funan quoted me SGD1200.00 for the DP2
You mean it's available locally already?
I'll go down to my favorite dealer to see if I can get a better deal. Who knows, maybe it will be accompanying me on my Japan trip next week. ;)

Seems that DP2 is not available locally yet. According to Parisilk, only 2 sets came to Singapore during the official launch in Japan and were allocated to them and were snapped up immediately. The next batch is due to arrive only on 16 May 09.

So... maybe I would get it in Japan next week if I come across it and if it's significantly cheaper. :dunno:

In terms of IQ, it would be unfair to the DLUX4 due to its much smaller sensor size.... :think:

Another question is why would one buy DLux 4 instead of LX3? They are the same inside and IQ exactly the same. :dunno:

Unless it is DLux4 titanium, then there is a difference.

I wonder how is D-Lux 4 Titanium different from D-Lux 4 apart from the colour of the casing? It would seem that the D-Lux 4 Titanium and the D-Lux 4 should be 'the same inside and IQ exactly the same'.

There are some differences between LX3 and D-Lux 4 though....
(a) Image quality is slightly different between the D-Lux 4 and LX3
There had been some comparison pics posted in ClubSnap before. And also here... http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/panasonic-lx3-vs-leica-d-lux-4.html
(b) D-Lux 4 has 2 yr warranty (3 yr when I got mine) compared to LX3's 1 yr warranty
(c) The free luxury leather case of the D-Lux 4 which is different from the one that comes with the LX3
(d) D-Lux 4 comes with a full version of Phase One's Capture One 4 which can be used with other brands of digicams while LX3 comes with a crippled version of SilkyPix LE which only supports Panasonic digicams
(e) Resale value of the D-Lux 4 should be higher than that of the LX3

Last edited:
hey, the DP1 and DP2 sounds like they have speed issues....is it better to get a D-LUX4 for quick shooting then? on the go and on holidays etc...

i read the threads with interest and was going to buy the DLUX4 liao until i saw the DP1 marina barrage photo...so sharp!

a few things crossed my mind though:
1. will i need like a huge GB card to store photos of such high quality?
2. is the camera difficult to navigate? i've only used fujifilm finepix so far for digicam...so is that like an "auto mode" type of thing?
3. is the camera physically very big? like DSLR size?

fast replies will be much appreciated!!

Do you like raw? If you like then will need a 8GB SD.

Do you like post processing? Those nice DP1/DP2 requires raw.

Do you want lots of feature, like track focus, face detect and IS? DPx don't have them.

Do you like anticipating your subject's next position? DPx love this kind of user.

Do you like everything auto? DPx is a camera with perspective, it dispise user asking full auto. :bsmilie:

If you are not prepared to give time for the above, then go do DLUX.

DPx is slightly bigger than Dlux.

DPx can only offer you one thing. With patience it delivers beautiful pictures.

hey, the DP1 and DP2 sounds like they have speed issues....is it better to get a D-LUX4 for quick shooting then? on the go and on holidays etc...

i read the threads with interest and was going to buy the DLUX4 liao until i saw the DP1 marina barrage photo...so sharp!

a few things crossed my mind though:
1. will i need like a huge GB card to store photos of such high quality?
2. is the camera difficult to navigate? i've only used fujifilm finepix so far for digicam...so is that like an "auto mode" type of thing?
3. is the camera physically very big? like DSLR size?

fast replies will be much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Also...

Do you like noise at low ISO speeds? Then D-Lux 4/LX3 is for you

Do you like to view your images only at low resolutions on your monitor? D-Lux 4/LX3 is good for that. Combined with noise at low ISO speeds, it could cause you to pull out all your hairs in frustration if you like to view your images at full size.... my examples posted refer.

Do you like purple fringing in RAW mode? Do you just love to practise your post-processing skills getting rid of the purple fringings & chromatic aberrations in converted RAW files? D-Lux 4/LX3 it is.

Do you like a camera that's capable of RAW but outputs the best quality when used in jpeg mode? D-Lux 4/LX3 then.

By now I guess you might have figured out that I'm not very impressed with my D-Lux 4....and you'll be right.;)

Last edited:
hey! everyone has such great tips! thanks so much!

Some of the stuff like quite cheem to me so i will try my best to list my "requirements".

I learned photography in school but ever since the pocket sized digicam came into being, i prefer the "grab out of my bag, point and shoot" situation. However, low-end digicams (+-$500) have high noise levels in darker shots and are not very sharp, even in macro etc. i already thought my finepix f30 is pretty damn good for the price, it works great in night shots without flash (i hate flash) and is clear in macro shots etc. But the noise and sharpness levels get to me sometimes hence thought should get a better cam but not SLR cos i didn want the bulk.

so the leica d-lux4 seemed quite impressive...good quality etc, even got stylish carrying case...but it doesn seem as sharp as the DP1/DP2 hor...

so what i think are my priorities:
1. sharp clear photos with nice tone of colour
2. small handy size to carry around everyday, preferably dun weigh a ton
3. good macro lens
4. less noise for dark shots, works well in low light
5. take good auto shots, good jpeg processor

I don't need or like:
1. fancy features like face and smile detection
2. raw format, jpeg is fine
3. post-processing on photoshop. little bit is fine but too much very time consuming ah
4. purple fringing
5. dun need 1metre wide photos cos i don't print my shots, but i would like to be able to.

im so confused im thinking of not buying altogether! i asked a friend and he asked me to consider the Panasonic G1 and Canon G10 also!! so many choices! And i will be going tokyo next week so I could potentially buy the Sigma DP2 though i heard the warranty wont be available here.

sorry for the long post, appreciate any advice! thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.