DIY variable ND filter

bbbddd

Apr 9, 2010
I wanted to get a Fader ND filter from LCW and went to search about it. And I came across a DIY variable ND filter. I believe it is made from 2 CPL or 1 CPL + 1 Linear polarizer. But will the quality be affected if i use a High Quality CPL together with a Lousy quality linear polarizer? or is it better to just get a fader ND fitler ?

Dun bother wasting expensive glass.. Just get a low end ND fader to try it out. Then decide if u need LCW

you mean dont waste the B+W cpl ?

I mean dun waste those expensive glasses and try to make a ND fader out of them. Just get a cheap ND fader to give it a try. You have to worry scratching those expensive glass and vignetting issues when u pancake them to make 1 ND fader.
Might as well buy a cheap one use first. The cheap ones are under $70, price varies with size.

I mean dun waste those expensive glasses and try to make a ND fader out of them. Just get a cheap ND fader to give it a try. You have to worry scratching those expensive glass and vignetting issues when u pancake them to make 1 ND fader.
Might as well buy a cheap one use first. The cheap ones are under $70, price varies with size.

oh i get what you mean. THANKS!

Cowseye said:

What's there to waste? Just screw on a filter over the other.

Hmmm??

If he have to buy 2 filters just to try it's kinda wasteful. Just my point of view. Of course he can reuse them seperately later. If he already has those glasses by all means can try, but buying 2 pieces of good glass to try an effect that can be achieve at a much lower cost? I really dun feel it's worth it.

I think one of the reasons why the DIY two filter setup was conceived was the initial intro of the rather expensive Singh Ray Vari ND ( at that time no alternative ). And a high quality linear polariser with a high quality cir polariser ( while both expensive, n the former probably not too commonly sourced ), duplicates the function of the Vari-ND ( and still cost less )

Then came the cheaper variable nd alternatives. I suppose they work decently, and if not nit picky whatsoever, definitely easier than DIY

Ryan