DIY upgrading RAM for Apple iBook G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
hey guys, anyone here knows how to upgrade the RAM for iBook G4? can teach me? the apple centre is charging an absurd price for upgrading RAM... $200++ to upgrade 256mb of ram!

Hi

Go to Sim Lim Square. Look for SGL marketing..(shop near entrance of overhead bridge from OG Bugis area). Cheap and good...most ppl using Apple products upgrade their ram there.

Offhand, I do not have their contact..maybe do a search?

Good luck,
tltan

Hi,

I did it b4.

I think your keypad(keyboard) can be removed if you study it carefully.

the ram slot is just embedded below. IIRC 12" and 14" are the same.

PowerBook has a ram slot cover at the bottom of the casing.

As for iBook is just embedded below the keypad. I suggest you bring it to the shop (SLS).

So that you won't buy wrong Ram (by studying the pins counts), speed wise it should be using DDR SDRam 266mhz I'm not wrong. Pls double check your Manual.:)

Yes, do check your system profiler or manual ... Different batches of iBooks/PBs might use RAMs of different speed ...

I suggest u look for the nice ladies at SGL Marketing. :)

RTFM... it's so easy, and they even show u in the manual!

no problem wiz32, i have seen those documents b4 and i know where to find them.

BTW if the ram can also be used on a PC you MIGHT try going to a PC shop and
see if you can buy them cheaper.

ortega said:
no problem wiz32, i have seen those documents b4 and i know where to find them.

BTW if the ram can also be used on a PC you MIGHT try going to a PC shop and
see if you can buy them cheaper.
That's what I was thinking ... But I need to pull out my RAM to confirm before going down to a PC shop ... I'm using a PB, but shld be the same DDR RAM, I guess ...

wiz23 said:
That's what I was thinking ... But I need to pull out my RAM to confirm before going down to a PC shop ... I'm using a PB, but shld be the same DDR RAM, I guess ...

remember to trade in your old ram :)

The older Macs are VERY particular about RAMs.. you better make sure the shop will allow you to change the RAM if it doesn't work. :)

If you are not familiar, can go to memoryworld at SLS. Just need to tell them your notebook model and year purchase (if there are different batches), they will be able to check/recommend the type of RAM that can be use for your notebook. They are distributor for Transcend RAM and come with life-time warranty. The price might be a bit higher there :( . They usually quote without GST.

If the RAM does not work, you can always go back to them. So far I do not have an issue dealing with them. Friendly people there :D .

wiz23 said:

Confirm. is the same.

espn said:
The older Macs are VERY particular about RAMs.. you better make sure the shop will allow you to change the RAM if it doesn't work. :)
I think I'll bring my PB down and change on the spot, hope the shop allows ;p

Ola said:
If you are not familiar, can go to memoryworld at SLS. Just need to tell them your notebook model and year purchase (if there are different batches), they will be able to check/recommend the type of RAM that can be use for your notebook. They are distributor for Transcend RAM and come with life-time warranty. The price might be a bit higher there :( . They usually quote without GST.

If the RAM does not work, you can always go back to them. So far I do not have an issue dealing with them. Friendly people there :D .
Thanks for the recommendation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.