DIY Twin Flash

SHLEW

Oct 22, 2009
Teck Whye
Hi folks,
Sharing a DIY twin flash for macro shoots. For those who would like to DIY, its not too difficult to fabricate
- some drilling and soldering work. The main flash unit and the flash bulbs and reflectors are available at e-bay.
The rest of the items are from Daiso and Sim Lim Tower.
Happy tinkering, cheers.

267612_2203376001054_1146963015_2730963_746716_n.jpg

Wa look so chim!!! Any sample pic?

Interesting gadget you have there, LEW... :thumbsup:

Melvyn,
Two of the pics taken with Nicky at Nangka Trial previous week using the DIY twin flash.
Skill quality still not good, paiseh..........

264549_2148297824134_1146963015_2690839_2300723_n.jpg

265035_2148291783983_1146963015_2690822_7474578_n.jpg

Thanks Vincent. Got to practice using it after so long using flash that cannot adjust direction.

very nice!!
are you going to do a tutorial on how to make this?

Lew, thank you for sharing your pro looking setup :thumbsup:

Please do not patent it until I've finish copying it :bsmilie:

Nice lighting!!!! Very creative Lew!!!

very nice!!
are you going to do a tutorial on how to make this?

Not yet, maybe later on after I have put it through tougher field trials. I've only used it on two night outings,
so still in prelim stage.

Lew, thank you for sharing your pro looking setup :thumbsup:

Please do not patent it until I've finish copying it :bsmilie:

Cannot patent lah Victor, too amateurish, hehehe.

Nice lighting!!!! Very creative Lew!!!

Thanks Melvyn.

:thumbsup:great ^^:thumbsup:

Thanks Edmund.

ehhh im not a electronic guy... how to do this? and does de main flash fires? or just de 2 flash?

This is a far cry from a Victor diffuser. Looked intimidating to make. It's not single, it's not married, it's complicated.

This is a far cry from a Victor diffuser. Looked intimidating to make. It's not single, it's not married, it's complicated.

When there is a LEW's will, there is way to fabricate it. Good Job Lew.

Lew,
Where did you buy the cokin adaptor, got 58mm size?

ehhh im not a electronic guy... how to do this? and does de main flash fires? or just de 2 flash?

By default, the twin macro flash will fire. A toggle switch as shown on top of the main flash housing can be switched on and off
to activate the main flash if required.

Lew,

i'm not sure about cokin, but there are 3rd party china makes that sells for 10 bucks or less.
Tianya is one of them.

Victor's diffuser works very well and is easy and cheap to make. As a retiree with all the time in the world and a pair of itchy hands, I thought I can
make something for the fun of it, not very difficult lah if you are a handyman. And also seeing all my friends lugging around MT-24 with a very intimidating
price tag, I'm driven to producing a cheapo imitation......hehehe.....

Lew,

David, I saw some at Artwork Photo - china made cokin P adaptor - $10.00 a piece, should be able to get 58mm.
I got mine from e-bay $5.00 a piece.

i'm not sure about cokin, but there are 3rd party china makes that sells for 10 bucks or less.
Tianya is one of them.

Ya, china made cokin P adaptors quite easily available here and in e-bay.

Great effort in building this very effective twin lights. My hat of you, Lew. Thanks for sharing. You can custom build for people already......and earn some money.

hi Lew, any estimate how heavy is the twin-flash set-up? thnks.:)

hi Lew, any estimate how heavy is the twin-flash set-up? thnks.:)

Hi Nick, The whole thing including the main flash unit with 4-pc AA batteries and the cables and twin flashes weigh 350gm.
Actually quite light. Diffusers are already built into the twin flash covers.