DIY Strobe Reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
1x pandan cake box (better if you can find those that are bowl shape.)
1x plastic takeaway container
3x A4 plain paper (change this to alu foil if you want strong lighting.)
1x A4 alu foil (better if use fish eye mirror)
spray glue
translucent sticking tape

steps
1) cut rectangular slot at the base of the pandan cake box for the flash head.
2) stick the A4 plain papers inside wall and base of the pandan cake box. make the same rectangular slot on the base paper.
3) cut a circular piece of alu foil and stick it onto the base, inside the plastic takaway container.
4) tape the plastic takeaway container (inverted) to the inside base of the pandan cake box. get is as center as possible.

the reflector is done

diy_strobe_reflector_2.jpg

diy_strobe_reflector_1.jpg

look like a washing basin... maybe can try that to replace a ring flash

problem is, i no ring flash, so must use the flash gun for light source.

you can still DIY a ring flash using normal hot shoe mounted flash, just that it takes more work. but you will retain the ttl, ettl, ittl or other light system of the camera you are using.

Can you post some sample images taken with setup (compared to direct and bounced)?

effect not good, but will be much better if can use the alternative mat'l i had stated for construction. now looking for the bowl shape container.

prototype 2
using aluminum wok cove as reflector. instead of removing the alu completely for the hole for the flash, i cut right in the middle, than bend the mat'l into 2 flaps to secure the wok to the flash head.

also, since i dont have fisheye mirror, i folded a cone with the alu foil with the shinny surface outside. stick it into the plastic takeaway container.

setup
1) mounted camera on tripod
2) flash on another tripod,
3) flash placed on the left of camera when looking through the view finder. about 1ft higher than camera also.

result
1) wider coverage than stofen, see the bed room door on the left.
2) more even lighting than the 1st prototype and also stofen.
3) prototype 2 is brighter than stofen. note flash fix to manual at 1/64 power and direction remain unchange.

taken with Woklight prototype 2
taken-with-wok-cover.jpg

taken with Stofen Omni-bounce
taken-with-stofen.jpg

prototype 2 fired
wok-reflector-fired.jpg

prototype 2 not fired
wok-reflector-not-fired.jpg

Hmm, I'm not very sure which one I like better. The Stofen seems to have more even lighting (though darker) but the shadows of the wok reflector is softer (though still quite distracting).

Bro, you can buy a white umbrella in Daiso and use as softbox. $2 only :)
+ you can buy a Car shade there too ($2) and use as reflector.

I have done that and quite good for home studio ;)

Hmm, I'm not very sure which one I like better. The Stofen seems to have more even lighting (though darker) but the shadows of the wok reflector is softer (though still quite distracting).

i thought the prototype 2 is more even judging the lighting from the wall extending to the door frame.

or is it because it is brighter. cant decide.

Bro, you can buy a white umbrella in Daiso and use as softbox. $2 only :)
+ you can buy a Car shade there too ($2) and use as reflector.

I have done that and quite good for home studio ;)

ha ha ha, mine are stuff people throw away, so no cost.:)

i thought the prototype 2 is more even judging the lighting from the wall extending to the door frame.

or is it because it is brighter. cant decide.

What caught my eye was the bright area around your diaphragm (is that the correct name for that area? between chest and stomach).

What caught my eye was the bright area around your diaphragm (is that the correct name for that area? between chest and stomach).

arh, i c, ok, will put a hollow tube in the centre, like ring flash, will post later.

dennis = iron man... centre put torch light.

oops, you found out my secrete id, now i will have to silence all csers. wahhaha.

but actually, i am known as "WOKMAN".

anyway, spray paint inside of the wok white, will test next week.

oops, you found out my secrete id, now i will have to silence all csers. wahhaha.

but actually, i am known as "WOKMAN".

anyway, spray paint inside of the wok white, will test next week.

u the zichar man rite... btw, isn't a wok defeating its purpose if its too heavy... probably good as a beauty dish.

u the zichar man rite... btw, isn't a wok defeating its purpose if its too heavy... probably good as a beauty dish.

the wok is very light, it doent force the flash head to bend down, so you are still free to twist and turn the head at any angle / direction.

"Woklight" Prototype 2
wok-alu-6.jpg

"Woklight" Prototype 3
wok-24mm-white-6.jpg

still room for improvement, stay tune for "Woklight" Prototype 4.

Wah Dennis...can really see 'donuts' in the TV screen reflection!

Can;lt wait to see V8 by this weekend! :bigeyes:

p.s. Tried to return call to you earlier no ans.

CHEERS!

Hot shoe mounted, 550ex at 50mm, direct flash, 60mm focal length on d60

With Stofen Omni-bounce
stf-50mm-8.jpg

With Woklight P3
wok-p3-50mm-8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.