DIY sensor cleaning SUCCESS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkertR

Way out, 2 1/2 hours drive away from Nikon Service Center in thailand - in the country side... my D100 had a big dust problem :(

Decided to make my own swabs and clean! *shivers*

So, I was sitting at my computer reading up on materials people were using etc... and designed my own swabs.

I took laminated cardboard and cut it to size then stuck a folded lint-free lens cloth over it - put some methanol and tested it on a cheap filter i had.

After 3 tries, I got pretty confident - no streaks! So i did it on my camera... 20 seconds later, it was CLEAN!! WOOHOO :D so happy! No need to head down to NIKS Thailand and spend 1000 baht on a cleaning :p yay~ Pictures are super clean now.. .ahhhh just had to share my joy with u guys! :)

Congratulations bro.....next time come back to Singapore please clean mine. I will pay you 500 Baht.... :bsmilie:

hahaha... can show u how to make ur own 'sensor swabs' :p it's damn effective man! *happy happy*

wanted to BUY them, but then their 'eclipse cleaning fluid' cannot ship overseas cos it's flammable... duh... and you 'have to use eclipse cleaning fluid with sensor swabs' - so if you buy the swabs, can't use the swabs cos 'need to use their fluid'.

my little experiment on my filter paid off :D

all camera servicing shops and service centre of all makers will hate you cause to took a very profitable service from them. ha ha ha.

but i appreaciate you will share the process with us, thanks man.

ParkertR said:
wanted to BUY them, but then their 'eclipse cleaning fluid' cannot ship overseas cos it's flammable... duh... and you 'have to use eclipse cleaning fluid with sensor swabs' - so if you buy the swabs, can't use the swabs cos 'need to use their fluid'.

I think you could use sensor swabs with any solvent. I would use the pure methanol from the chemist.

Unfortunately Eclipse cleaning fluid and Sensor swabs are sold through agents and not through camera shops. My wife has to buy mine from Hong Kong.

I have some success with sensor swab wrapped around a thin strip cut out from an old credit card. A tip posted by a CSer.

Do a search on the net. There are more newer sensor cleaning devices now in the market.

There are plenty of coconut trees in Southern Thailand. Your next project is to clean it with a piece of husk dipped in coconut wine?

Congratz! If possible, can do a step-by-step tutorial? :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.