DIY RS-80N3 (beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
Can't sleep and can't afford a decent cable release...... So can't help but fool around and eventually made something that works :D

Equipment: some old wires (I took mine from an old connector)
Cost: $0 (for now)
Time needed: 15 minutes
Looks: Crappy
difficulty: none

The wire:
img-3759_large.jpg

The beta connector:
img-3760_large.jpg

If you have not already noticed, the male connector port on the camera body has three pins. (Sorry but I only have one camera, so its quite impossible to take apict of the connector and the beta switch connected) A simple multimeter test reveals that the top pin is the common with the bottom left pin and right pin being positive pins supplying around 3.36Volts. (not important)

The cable release works on a simple principle: like a switch it closes the required circuit. So when you short the correct pins, things will work.

After connecting to a 10D, I concluded that the bottom left pin controls the single shot feature while the bottom right pin controls the 'press and hold' bulb feature. Yes, It worked perfectly.

I've not handled the original RS-80N3 before so can anyone shed some light on whether there are any other functions to the remote? :dunno:

It's just a super simple beta version, nothing fantastic, just to satisfy my believes that it will work. The problem now is with trying to get the connector in place and keeping it in place. (what do you expect from 15mins? :D ) Will try to find a compatible connector and add the 3 pin switch when I have the time to source for the parts.

There's no worries since no voltage or current is applied to your camera so there's really not much risk. But with everything, one must always include a disclaimer :D TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

:bsmilie:

Will update when I get the time to do the final version. hehehe......

:lovegrin: Great effort!

wah...like that can make an IR remote for 10D already

btw, RS-80N3 is just like your shutter release, you can either "half-press" to AF or press all the way to take a picture, the bulb features is when you pull down the catch to lock the button down...

Wai said:
wah...like that can make an IR remote for 10D already

btw, RS-80N3 is just like your shutter release, you can either "half-press" to AF or press all the way to take a picture, the bulb features is when you pull down the catch to lock the button down...
GO GO GO!!!!

Then remember to make 1 for mi hor!

Status
Not open for further replies.