DIY photo cropping tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
i think most of you should have known this by now, but maybe i'm the first to draw it down?

03-07-08-desktop.jpg

Big Version:
http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/download/IMG_2247.JPG

Another useful tool
http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/download/canon-recommendations.jpg

anyone else with similar or even better ideas?

err maybe me slow..but how to cut the print?

oops, i should explain clearer.

the individual rectangles, are drawn with 4R, 5R, 6R, 8R and S8R papers' sizes, to scale. that explains the 4"x6", and other similar markings on the surface. this way, you can see the direct physical sizes of your prints, depending on how big you're printing them.

next, on the left, there's a table listed there. it indicates the HxW pixel dimensions to get the respective Megapixel count (MP).

1.0 MP - 1280 x 960 (min for 4R)
2.0 MP - 1600 x 1200 (min for 6R)
3.3 MP - 2048 x 1536
4.0 MP - 2272 x 1704
5.0 MP - 2592 x 1944
6.0 MP - 3072 x 2048

so in other words, if you ended up cropping a picture with a 2705x1932 dimension, and if you compare it with the 6R dimension (which is, 1600x1200), you can see that both H and W dimensions for the picture far exceed that required of a decent 6R print, so you can print it out at 6R or even more without getting poor quality.

or in another way to look at it, if you want to print 6R shots, you must have at least 1600x1200 pixels in your photos if you want good quality.

alternatively, if you count MP's before you print, 2705x1932 is immediately known to be more than 5 MP, so you can print much larger without problems, assuming you know how large you usually print your 5 MP shots.

once you compare that to the canon jpg that i attached as a URL, you can see that you can supposedly print somewhere in between 11"x14 to 13"x19" without problems. :)

anyone else who can explain my intention, please go ahead. :)

k..think i got you...

initially i thot it is to crop prints developed from slides or color film. so i was looking for the cutter . :D

How did you get the various pixel diemnsions for hte various sizes?

seems like ur prints are 240dpi? or is there a way to count it?

Cheers!

Another OT...

the silicon graphics keyboard, nice or not? The click-click type or the silent type?

BTW, your room/table very messy. 'bout the same as mine i think. :p

Originally posted by vince123123
How did you get the various pixel diemnsions for hte various sizes?

seems like ur prints are 240dpi? or is there a way to count it?

Cheers!

various pixel dimensions? those are of the common pixel sizes of most digital cameras, most i think in the 4:3 aspect ratio. to find the resolution, divide the respective dimension (either H/W) by the size you're intending to print at, say 4"x6". so if you have 2000 x 3000 pixels (just an example), you'll have 2000/4 = 500 dpi, or 25,000 dpii (dots per square inch).

Originally posted by West_ray
OT abit ... the black black thing on the right ... is tat ur thigh ??? kinda interested to know ... :D

wah biang, of course it's a chair, what did you expect?... :dunno:

Originally posted by ST1100
Another OT...

the silicon graphics keyboard, nice or not? The click-click type or the silent type?

BTW, your room/table very messy. 'bout the same as mine i think. :p

not bad la. it's not the silent type, it's the click-clack type... at night you can hear "machinegun fire" from my room :D

actually my qn was how did u derive that:

1.0 MP - 1280 x 960 (min for 4R)
2.0 MP - 1600 x 1200 (min for 6R)

as in how does one derive the minimum resolution for the various sizes?

Originally posted by sehsuan
various pixel dimensions? those are of the common pixel sizes of most digital cameras, most i think in the 4:3 aspect ratio. to find the resolution, divide the respective dimension (either H/W) by the size you're intending to print at, say 4"x6". so if you have 2000 x 3000 pixels (just an example), you'll have 2000/4 = 500 dpi, or 25,000 dpii (dots per square inch).

Status
Not open for further replies.