DIY home studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

eguner

Dec 4, 2007
Hi, I just bought my 400D kit & 50f1.8 2 week back, just start learning mainly from books and internet. I'm trying to set up home studio and now not sure which light I should use and where to buy it for my key light. shoices are
1 halogen flood lamp
2 ~500W halogen worklight
3 florescence lighting
can anyone advice? btw I stay in cck
thanks a lot.

Hi, I just bought my 400D kit & 50f1.8 2 week back, just start learning mainly from books and internet. I'm trying to set up home studio and now not sure which light I should use and where to buy it for my key light. shoices are
1 halogen flood lamp
3 florescence lighting
thanks a lot.

questions to consider (actually if u search, there are plenty of threads asking the same question...)

a) are u going to use your studio often?
b) how big a space are u setting aside at home?
c) budget?
d) any experience in using a studio or wat goes ard in a studio? it's more than just a impressive looking strobe pointing at the wall...

I think you better think twice doing DIY studio in the house
You also need to apply licence to do it and it'll cost you a bome. It not worth to do it home.
I suggest you rent it from outside rather than do it at home.By the way,are you staying at home alone?

Hi, nightwolf75 and Joe, thanks.
I did feel shy for not doing enough reserch and also for having so poor knowladge about doing home studio. I really do not know that need to apply licence.
I intend to do this mainly is for take photo for my coming new baby (in March), without using flash. I am staying in 4r flat in cck with my wife and 3yr daughter.

I did feel shy for not doing enough reserch and also for having so poor knowladge about doing home studio. I really do not know that need to apply licence.
I intend to do this mainly is for take photo for my coming new baby (in March), without using flash. I am staying in 4r flat in cck with my wife and 3yr daughter.

perhaps this link would be useful to you..

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/10/another-strobist-topless-babe-shoot.html

opps.. overlooked the without flash part.. perhaps when he/she is older?

1 halogen flood lamp
3 florescence lighting
thanks a lot.

u forget to add light meter. :)

thanks, guys

I also thought about flash and umbrella, they are in my future set up list (budget constrain). besides, I prefer not to use flash for my new born baby.

....I prefer not to use flash for my new born baby.

IMHO, for photographing new born child, usually one uses wide aperture lens like F1.8 or F1.4 or wider.

It should be safe to use studio lighting shoot thru diffuser like umbrella.

Click here to see some of my baby studio shots :)

If you want to shoot ambient lighting, use external lighting + flash lens.

thanks, guys

I also thought about flash and umbrella, they are in my future set up list (budget constrain). besides, I prefer not to use flash for my new born baby.

heh... it is still cheaper to get a flash, umbrella and tripod, than to get a basic studio kit. try Buy/Sell. u might be able to pick up all these items for less than $1k - most pricey being ur EX flash.

megaweb has done a number of pics with this setup. check it out.

after think through with the help of all the advice here, I decide to use 50f1.8 first and will go for flash and umbrella later stage when my baby getting bigger.

if one intend to use the premise as a business operation address, yes. Application is easy. Get yourself registered online with the Registrar of Business, obtain a business registeration nos. go to the HDB area office ( not town counsil ) and apply for permit, but you also have to open a business account with one of the local bank for annual audition and tax filing purpose, because bank statement of your registered company is required for filing of income tax returns. You also have to appoint an accounting service company to certified your annual returns. See, it's just that simple and you become a BOSS.
But if you only want to take baby photo of your own child, just delete all the above and set up whatever studio equipment you want in your spare room, most important thing to look into, no overloading of any electricity power point, cause a fire, you'll in trouble. Good luck !

never heard of it too... do we need a license for a home studio? :dunno:

eguner - u dun need a whole nine yards of studio equipment to shoot ur girl. a simple canon EX flash on a tripod with an umbrella will do.

Ah guys you don't need a licence for a home studio. Had mine for years no problem.

Heed nightwolf75 advice just use simple setup for your photoshoot on your baby girl,no
point splashing on expensive studio equipment unless you intend to shoot often at
home and also space constraints are to taken into consideration.

something is not right with this forum, any subject/topic which is brought up for discussion or seeking advice should have a time frame of two weeks, after which the thread should automatically closed.

something is not right with this forum, any subject/topic which is brought up for discussion or seeking advice should have a time frame of two weeks, after which the thread should automatically closed.
in the first place, why you dig a one year old thread from the grave?
the thread starter has the right to lock the thread, but he does not excise his right, no one can stop or force him, unless the discussion went wrong in thread till Mod take action and lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.