DIY flash diffuser above lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Thinking of using flash on the body and sticking a diffuser right on top of the lens for macro shots. Anyone with experience with such setups? :dunno: How effective is it?

Thinking of using flash on the body and sticking a diffuser right on top of the lens for macro shots. Anyone with experience with such setups? :dunno: How effective is it?

I find a simple white business card is sufficient for this. Since you will often have your camera on a tripod for really close macro shots you can sometimes even get away with just holding the card there. Otherwise just stick it on with a piece of Blu-tack. Works perfectly and doesn't damage your cam or lens. :)

Thanks! Is light meant to pass thru the card?? I thought it'd be something along the line of tracing paper or tissue that allows some light to pass thru, or some translucent plastic piece such as the cover of some files.

Are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.adidap.com/index.php/2007/12/20/diy-poors-man-ring-flash/

Sorry, no personal experience. Do you know if gallon milk jugs are easily available in Singapore? If not I should bring some back the next time I visit Singapore - my kids drink enough milk to make me consider getting a cow :bsmilie:

Yes thats exactly what I'm looking for! haha.. tho looks abit crudely done. But think it'll serve it's purpose. :)

Those jugs can be obtained from supermarkets, all fresh milk are in those jugs I think. Will post if I manage to make my own. lol

Thanks! Is light meant to pass thru the card?? I thought it'd be something along the line of tracing paper or tissue that allows some light to pass thru, or some translucent plastic piece such as the cover of some files.
It depends. The card is more of a "bouce" than a disperser. It can work, but if you have nothing to jump it off there won't be too much light through the card itself. :)

It depends. The card is more of a "bouce" than a disperser. It can work, but if you have nothing to jump it off there won't be too much light through the card itself. :)

Oops, I think you were referring to sticking a white business card onto an external flash that's pointing up to bounce it off right?

I was referring to using the flash on the camera body, and diffusing it near the end of the lens so that it won't be too harsh.

Anywayz, this was what I meant (from ADIDAP blog, link above). Trying it out this or next weekend. :D

45595112flatdiffuser3hi8.jpg

hi loboclerk, u can actually get a 3rd party pop up flash diffuser from OP in SLS. It cost abt 10 bucks. My friend got 1 for me but unfortunately it was unable to fit onto my hotshoe as i am using an Alpha. Or u can use the white film from those plastic cd pockets, work fine for me but have to think of a way to hold it to the flash. :sticktong

The 3rd party pop up flash looks identical to GaryFong's Puffer.

http://store.garyfonginc.com/puf-01.html ;)

Alternately, u can use a white film container.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natuurplaat/10362363/

Or use a piece of white tissue paper and wrap it on ur pop up flash.

http://dailydiy.com/2008/02/15/slr-flash-diffuser/

Just my two cents worth. :)

Thanks k3nji82! The film container one was quite cute :p

I wanted the diffuser all the way at the end of the lens or hood as I'm using it for macros. That way, I won't be getting the shadows from the lens hood even when I use popup flash. :)

Bro I am using a similar diffuser as urs mi look lik this.... PS: ur diffuser need to shorten to ur pop up flash height will do..

I am using a PNS Panasonic Fz30 with 2 pices of Hoya +5 closeup filter. Tat all oh also with a DIY flash diffuser like this... Sorie the cam in the photo is a Alpha cam. He is helphing mi to take tat diffuser..

DSC09649_resize.jpg

DSC09650_resize.jpg

DSC09651_resize.jpg

DSC09652_resize.jpg

DSC09654_resize.jpg

These will the results of tat set up..

2275423076_1b9f225c67_o.jpg

2266131033_32f2eef095_o.jpg

2232029797_f8b111d1e8_o.jpg

2291682698_8814b38c08_o.jpg

2284011188_3c0097e13e_o.jpg

Nice :) I like your JS series in the macro forum too!

Noticed that the shape of your diffuser shows up in the spidey's eyes.. heh

Wa, all the shots only use the macro lens?
so much magnification!!

Status
Not open for further replies.