DIY Filter Wrench for Stuck Filters

CS TAN

Sep 3, 2007
Hong Kong
Have help a couple of bros here to unstuck their filters with my filter wrenches. So, for people who don't have the filter wrench, you can try this DIY method next time you have a stuck filter.

[1] pipe clamp
20091208_297a6b11ae31f1f741a0koyK0ZM54g2L.jpg
pipeclamp.jpg

[2] wide rubber band
8c3fa69fab811a14

Put the rubber band around the filter and clamp the pipe clamp onto the stuck filter. It will give the clamp some friction and also acts as protection to your filter.

If you have two stuck filters, you might want to use two pipe clamps and try to turn them in opposite direction.
If your filter is stuck onto the lens, you will only need one pipe clamp and try to turn it anti-clockwise.

The best way to easily unstuck the filter is to apply pressure evenly to all sides of the filter and this DIY will work like a filter wrench.

Last edited:
FANTABULOUS IDEA!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good suggestions, but pipe clamp is a bit dangerous... Those things are rather sharp and one can get cut easily.

I've also tried the rubber band thingy... works sometimes.

I've now bought proper filter wrenches for myself. 100% success all the time.

Usually the rubber band part works liao, i never needed the pipe clamp stage, thank goodness!

thanks for sharing

ryan

Hi CS Tan~!!

Much appreciated! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for helping me out the other time!
Will nv harbour the thoughts of stacking filter again..:sweat:

Hi CS Tan~!!

Much appreciated! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for helping me out the other time!
Will nv harbour the thoughts of stacking filter again..:sweat:
Ha ha, I enjoyed our encounter in ION Orchard. Nice to meet you :thumbsup:

can also use an oil filter wrench that you can buy from most motor accessories shops.... comes with a handle

can also use an oil filter wrench that you can buy from most motor accessories shops.... comes with a handle
that will work. Remember to put on the rubber band to help prevent the abrasion from mental wrenches

I would like to share my method.. just need a pc of anti- slip rubber mat.. place the stuck filter lens facing down on the mat. Exert force downwards and turn the body of the lens anti-clockwise. This works for me most of the times;)

err..does this method apply to filter stuck to stepup ring too?

and can i also know where to get filter wrench? :(

I had a polariser stuck once and that was a bugger to get off, even with the rubber band trick.

I now use an old trick my father taught me for stopping screws/nuts and bolts binding.

Simply run a pencil tip over the thread to give it a light coating. Be careful not to press too hard and create any dust (if you do be sure to blow it off before using).

The pencil lead acts like a lubricant and stops them from binding together. You could use something like WD-40, but I don't like the thought of trying to get it off my lens, whereas pencil lead is pretty inert and just blows away.

SeldomHere

err..does this method apply to filter stuck to stepup ring too?

and can i also know where to get filter wrench? :(

i often get this problem with my stepup ring too haha and i self devise a method to unloosen it...

method 1:
1. unscrew one of the filters out first then screw the remaining step up ring + filter back to lens, then this time round try unscrew the steup ring out

method 2:
1. screw back the step up ring + filter back to the lens... use your nails to press on to the filter sides, try unscrew the step up ring out.

success rate of the above is about 70-80% only though...

I haven try with running the step up ring + filter under tap water + soap (so will have lubrication), maybe someone adventurous enough can try. :p

Simply run a pencil tip over the thread to give it a light coating. Be careful not to press too hard and create any dust (if you do be sure to blow it off before using).

SeldomHere

Cool idea to use the graphite from pencils as lubricant...will try it next time!!

sianz...still unable to free my CPL from the stepup ring...grrrrr...

I use this adjustable jar cap opener; make sure you protect the jaw with a tiny piece of rubber.

DSC00960Small.jpg