DIY dry box for ~S$20

Status
Not open for further replies.
a few mistakes u committed.

1. no meter to measure the humidity level, so how u know the current level is good for your equipments?

2. related to 1. W/o the meter, since you do not have the readings of the humidity level, chances are it might be too dry or not enough dry. So it defeats the purpose. And air tight means moisture is locked tightly, without proper humidifying, your equipment is more prone to fungus!

3. again related to 1. W/o the meter, even though you might have enough silica gel for the existing equipments (by chance) , did u take into consideration, next time when u add more equipments you had to adjust the amount of silica gels to the correct humidity level. And another thing to factor, what if your equipment comes into contact with water and you did not wipe dry enough to place back into the dry box, is the amount of silica gel sufficient to suck away the moisture?

4. You might be hardworking enough to ensure you change the silica gel often but you sure you are able to continue doing these for the next 5 years (using the warranty status of a dry cabinet as a gauge of timeline) and not sick of it? I doubt so, human are lazy by nature and after sometime you will slack and heck care for sure.

It may be cheap but not a feasible solution in the long run. So i wun risk it on my equipments. I rather pay $80-90 more to give me peace and mind for the next 5 years as well as not worrying if the humidity level is constant unless you are very unlucky, your dry cabinet breaks down w/o u knowing! :)

Last edited:
I tried a Lock & Lock box before.
It will not be a dry-box.

My silica gel change colour extremely fast.
Have to change in a day! :sweat:

No good for a dry-box. :nono:

as i mention in another thread.

dun scrimp on a dry cabinet. What for! You can afford a DSLR + lens (be it kit or better lens), why scrimp on a $100 odd dry cabinet?

Money is not the issue since u can afford the camera with lens. Just hold on buying those filters and unnecessary stuff for the time being you wun die without them.

Get your camera + lens (watever) + dry cabinet as your first setup!

Ultimately, you cannot escape the fate of buying a dry cabinet someday, so make it today!

Bros, I have been searching a solution for a DIY dry cabinet/box with a DIY dehumidifier circuit. Any bro has the idea.

The problem is to make the temperature as low as possible but at the same time the lamp bulb does function to dehumidify the moisture. Another safety consideration is not to burn the whole setting/ avoid fire if short circuit. Any bro have any idea.

(The temperature needs to be controlled as low as possible, so the sealing in the camera e.g.:rubber or plastic will not degrade )

Bros, I have been searching a solution for a DIY dry cabinet/box with a DIY dehumidifier circuit. Any bro has the idea.

The problem is to make the temperature as low as possible but at the same time the lamp bulb does function to dehumidify the moisture. Another safety consideration is not to burn the whole setting/ avoid fire if short circuit. Any bro have any idea.

(The temperature needs to be controlled as low as possible, so the sealing in the camera e.g.:rubber or plastic will not degrade )

Have you thought of this?
prod_dehumid_remini07.jpg

Last edited:
Spend the money and you'd be safe and DUN have to worry at all....

why waste time worrying about the humidity level in the box all the time? Plus, the change can be VERY fast, I've learnt lessons from other frens who lost gear to fungus for using such boxes.

You've spent thousands, what's another 100 or 200?

Well. It's a cheap and simple solution if your travelling abroad for like a week or so. But probably it shouldn't be a permanent solution for keeping equipment at home.

oh, so fast turn pink?? Mine 1 mth liao color no change.. Does tat mean it din manage to suck any moisture yet?? My storage n setup exactly same as TS lei.. :dunno::what:

oh, so fast turn pink?? Mine 1 mth liao color no change.. Does tat mean it din manage to suck any moisture yet?? My storage n setup exactly same as TS lei.. :dunno::what:

Wah.. I'm not so sure for your case
I kept mine in my bedroom. I on the air-con in the night and off it when I go to school. There is a lot of moisture like that.
Maybe this is the cause.

No matter what, a dry box is much safer.
I used a dry box after that and now, I'm currently using a dry cabinet. ;)

Spend the money and you'd be safe and DUN have to worry at all....

why waste time worrying about the humidity level in the box all the time? Plus, the change can be VERY fast, I've learnt lessons from other frens who lost gear to fungus for using such boxes

You've spent thousands, what's another 100 or 200?

DIY dry box for ~S$20... Lookin good! ;)

http://nonotech.blogspot.com/2008/07/diy-dry-box.html[/QUOOTE]

haha i got a exact same box to store my DSLR..

haha me too. Same box same flooring!!!

get the dry cabinet now, it is troublesome to upkeep this dry box nonsense.

nothing wrong with using a dry box, just make sure that the humidity levels are monitored. same for dry cabinet actually.

there are also issues like storage area and electricity supply limitations, i do not see anything wrong with using a dry box.

btw, you can easily, easily get a dry box with silica gel for ~$20. hence there is no point to DIY, unless you like to DIY.

nothing wrong with using a dry box, just make sure that the humidity levels are monitored. same for dry cabinet actually.

there are also issues like storage area and electricity supply limitations, i do not see anything wrong with using a dry box.

btw, you can easily, easily get a dry box with silica gel for ~$20. hence there is no point to DIY, unless you like to DIY.

like, where?

comes with a hygrometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.