DIY Diffuser (raptorshpere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptor84

Dec 6, 2005
Singapore
www.furry-photos.com
Just my attempt at making a diffuser/bouncer for my 430ex. I took an old food container and cut ahole in the base to fit the falsh and kept the lid. I then pasted 2 layers of tracing paper on the top and inserted on ring into the bowl part making sure it dosent cover over the flash. The circle of foil can be inserted into the top part of the bowl and covered with the top part to reflect the light back down in the event the celing is too high.

3parts.jpg

This is not meant to be used as a direct diffuser but rather as an 'omnibounce' of sorts.

Below are the results.

Normal Bounce
Bounced.jpg

Without foil inserted
RaptorSphere.jpg

With foil inserted
FoilMod.jpg

As you can see the diffuser does lose quite a bit of light. All the pics were taken with FEL on manual and a timer release. Next, subject tests...

Hi raptor.... sorry to interrupt your post.
Did u set ur flash to manual mode?
If you didn't, maybe the bright spot caused by the diffuser is fooling your flash into underexposing.

Cheers
QX

Right first in landscape mode. All shot on manual. Bounced pics had FEC +1/2 or +1...

Direct
LandscapeDirect.jpg

Bounced with no diffuser
LandscapeBounced.jpg

Raptorsphere without foil
LandscapeNoFoilMod.jpg

Raptorsphere with foil
LandscapeFoilMod.jpg

While the bounced pic produces the most 3d looking pics the difuser does help fill in the shadows a little more while not being as harsh as direct. The foil makes the light harsher but not as bad as direct. Can be useful if the celing is too high :D

Next up.. portrait mode...

Now turning the camera sideways..

Direct
PortraitDirect.jpg

Bounced
PortraitBounced.jpg

Raptorsphere without foil
PortraitNoFoilMod.jpg

Raptorsphere with foil
PortraitFoilMod.jpg

THats it fomr my tests. I can conclude that while it is no LSPJ2, it only costs less than $1. If you arent a professional you can try making one and save a few bucks :bsmilie: You will need to make a custom WB though as even with ETTL II it wont get it 100% correct as the tracing paper can be a little warm and the foil a little too cool.

Good effort :thumbsup: and thanks for sharing.

Bet you some other people are already trying your design.

Heh no that camera was rented... and yes i have done a few shots with that diffuser.

151239249_df8c6ad7e3.jpg

and
151239672_a0da73d20e.jpg

One indoor with bouce and one outdoor.

Wow the DIY diffuser seems to give great results. Maybe I'll give it a try.

any good idea where i can get the tupperware? jurong point doesnt seem to have any...

Hey raptor84 I also made one. The results were pretty good thank for sharing.

Hope to see it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.