DIY bounce flash attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinShiong

Dec 31, 2002
Russia
Visit site
I'm using an A40, and as many may know, the use of flash with the lens adapter on will result in a darker corner at the lower right hand side of the photo.

59790.JPG

Inspired by this thread, I decided to make something similar. I went around shopping and found this:

59783.JPG

This costs $3 at Popular bookstore. Out of the box:

59788.JPG

I decided to use aluminum foil and some plastic to make a "reflector". Plastic came from this disposable lunch box:

59784.JPG

With the plastic, I made a "reflector", secured to the camera using velcro strips.

59791.JPG

And the "bounce card", with is also plastic wrapped in aluminum foil:

59787.JPG

I think I've made this card a little bit too small (8*10 cm), but I shall come to that later. And the resulting setup:

59786.JPG

I thought of attaching the clip to the camera body, but to do that would require a lot of effort to prise open the clip to the maximum. So happens that the rubber flip covering the A/V out and DC adaptor ports are on the same side of the flash, so I attached the clip to that rubber flip. There are 2 raised "bumps" on the flip, and that helps to secure the clip to the rubber flip well.

Shot without flash for comparison:

59789.JPG

Shot with DIY bounce flash attachment:

59785.JPG

So what do you guys think ?

Nice bit of innovation there...

A bit of nit picking: From your last two images, the flash coverage for the pix with the bounce device appears to be uneven; more concentrated to the top part of the image.

Btw, you've Popular there in Russia too? :p

:bsmilie:

Anyways, I shall play around with this setup, and hopefully I'll get better results. Think I need a proper bounce card for a start !

Try crumpling the aluminium to give it an uneven surface so that the light is bounced off in different directions rather than at a particular spot. This should give you a better spread of light.
And u can either move the model further from the wall or use a table lamp with a white light as a sort of subsitute studio lamp which will give you a more predictable shadow cast for u to adjust.

Excellent creativity! But the flash output is very uneven judging from your 2ndshot... could be the tiny flash from your digicam is not powerful enuff? Looks underexposed. But don't give up! Keep trying!

Thanks for all the inputs and encouragement. I'm in the process of changing the reflector into a mirror and changing the material of the bounce card to plastic, A5 size. Will post more test pics when I'm done, hopefully yielding satisfactory results !

I've decided to change some of the materials used in the setup. First off, I've changed the bounce card material to an A5 sized corrugated white plastic (available from Popular bookstore):

61385.JPG

I've also used a A5 sized silver card (also available from Popular) to test which is better.

61391.JPG

I've also changed the reflector to that of a mirror. This mirror is cut to size from one of those cutie mirrors from shops like Mini Toons. Btw, you can cut a mirror by scratching a line on it using a sharp screwdriver or something similar. Just apply slight force on the edges with a fulcrum underneath the scratched line and the mirror will easily break into 2.

61389.JPG

I've also changed the arrangement of the clips. Good thing about these clips is they are customisable:

61392.JPG

Some rubber strips on the clip to increase their grip:

61390.JPG

Since I now have a clip near the flash, I thought of doing a tissue paper holder, to act as a make-shift diffuser. I used plastic from the earlier bounce card:

61386.JPG

And a pic of the setup with the diffuser in place:

61387.JPG

These pics are taken in my storeroom where it is pitch dark. All pics are taken with AF locked, F14, 1/500 sec

Direct flash:
61388.JPG

Subsequent pictures on the right have their levels tweaked with a constant value. No other editing (except resizing) is done.

With diffuser:
61393.JPG

With reflector (mirror) only, bouncing the flash off the ceiling:
61396.JPG

Using the silver bounce card:
61394.JPG

Using the white plastic bounce card:
61395.JPG

Seems that the white bounce card gave a slightly brighter pic.

Total cost of setup: $13.79

2 x Clips = $6.00 (From Popular)
White corrugated plastic = $3.09 (From Popular)
Mirror = $1.50 (From Mini Toons)
Plastic lunch box = $0.50
Rubber strips = $2.70

IMHO, this is a cheaper alternative than slave flashes for digicam, but at the expense of having to compensate with slower shutter speed. Not sure if the clips will work with other digicams, but if you're an A40 user on a budget, why not give it a try ? :D

Some test shots:
61428.JPG

61429.JPG

61430.JPG

61431.JPG

Please feel free to give comments and suggestions. :gbounce:

Nice job and innovative idea. The flowers pic is nice in the sense that it is properly exposed. I also have the same problem when I fix on my adapter.

Good Work!!!!!!

:cool: Now I'm think of replacing the clips with a customised acrylic structure, since the former is a bit flimsy. But I can only lay my hands on acrylic that's only 2mm thick :(

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.