DIY Bounce Card

stevesteve

Jun 12, 2010
Hi people. I would like to make a bounce card on my own, and did some research and realise foam material is the best? Can i know if anyone has any idea where i can gt such material? And what are the measurements to cut out?

Thanks in advance :)

size you can take reference from this ABetterBounceCard.com

we use rubber form, flexible and cheap, lose it also would be heart pain.
the material can get from popular bookstore.

try do a search in this forum, some members ever post a tutorial on how to make this.
not to mention there are plenty outside.

You can get the foam material at Art Friend.

Thanks. Helps alot. :)

Anyone tried the bendable bounce card? Is it effective? thinking of getting one...

digitalpimp said:
You mean something like the Rogue FlashBender? I have one. It's good.

Yea. Thinking of getting one. Ebay China made one around 18 sgd.

ataraxist said:

The shop opposite (somewhat) Cathay Photo has those on display. The materials and texture turned me off, but I guess if it does the job then I don't see why you won't want one.

ataraxist said:

The internal bendable rods feels really stiff.

The new diffuser panel for the flashbender is great. Love it!

daredevil123 said:
The internal bendable rods feels really stiff.

The new diffuser panel for the flashbender is great. Love it!

I'm on a hunt for the diffuser panel as well. How much did you shell out for it?

I'm on a hunt for the diffuser panel as well. How much did you shell out for it?

you may like this. SGD 1.05 for a pack of 2 large sheets. It's a chopping mat actually.
IMG_20120628_133846.jpg

Thickness about 0.5 to 1mm.
Dimension 38cm x 30cm
colour looks neutral enough.
flexible & rollable.
best, literally dirt cheap. packaging is covered with some dust.
just chanced upon it at potong pasir budget shop, next to the soya bean drink shop. The sheets were on the shell facing the carpark. Actually, the sheets were facing & next to the car park lot. Reverse enough your bumper can almost touch them...lol

bought 4 packs immediately like found gold on floor..lol

beside making it a diffuser, you can make a large bounce card from it too.
get a sheet of aluminium foil and stack the chopping mat on the shinier side = you get a good bounce card with high reflection(due to shinny & opaque aluminium sheet) but with soft light (due to the diffuser.)
The bigger the bounce card, the smoother & even lighting effect on your subject.

Last edited:
Drawing block. Cut a rectangle shape, cut 1cm in the middle horizontally on both sides. fold the top part inwards and pop out again. Now try bending the top part towards the bottom part to form an arc. This will create a 45 degree angle. Face the flash upwards, it will bounce it off the card. Use rubberband to tie it to the flashgun. Works for me

rawNature said:
you may like this. SGD 1.05 for a pack of 2 large sheets. It's a chopping mat actually.

Thickness about 0.5 to 1mm.
Dimension 38cm x 30cm
colour looks neutral enough.
flexible & rollable.
best, literally dirt cheap. packaging is covered with some dust.
just chanced upon it at potong pasir budget shop, next to the soya bean drink shop. The sheets were on the shell facing the carpark. Actually, the sheets were facing & next to the car park lot. Reverse enough your bumper can almost touch them...lol

bought 4 packs immediately like found gold on floor..lol

beside making it a diffuser, you can make a large bounce card from it too.
get a sheet of aluminium foil and stack the chopping mat on the shinier side = you get a good bounce card with high reflection(due to shinny & opaque aluminium sheet) but with soft light (due to the diffuser.)
The bigger the bounce card, the smoother & even lighting effect on your subject.

Ahhh you beat me to it! Been meaning to go to Ikea to get me one of those. Ikea's has got a foldable handle which I think could wrap nicely around the flash head. Just a couple of elastics and it's good to go.

Just check Cathay's site.. 30+...

BTW, I am not shooting macro.. this is mostly for work.. so cannot look too DIY-y

daredevil123 said:

BTW, I am not shooting macro.. this is mostly for work.. so cannot look too DIY-y

Hmm... a little bit steep, but that's the only diffuser compatible with the FlashBender anyway so what choice do we have. :)

Agree with you. For work purposes, you have to maintain some level of 'pro-ness' to the equipment or else clients would look down on you. Sad reality.

Hmm... a little bit steep, but that's the only diffuser compatible with the FlashBender anyway so what choice do we have. :)

Agree with you. For work purposes, you have to maintain some level of 'pro-ness' to the equipment or else clients would look down on you. Sad reality.

can i ask are you all using the large or small positionable one? was thinking price difference not too much should just get the large one, but also read that the large one is relatively heavy not that good for on-camera flash...

thanks in advance!

:think: maybe TS can get the foam, tape black paper behind it and then some metal rods to become flashbender-wannabe? ;)

can i ask are you all using the large or small positionable one? was thinking price difference not too much should just get the large one, but also read that the large one is relatively heavy not that good for on-camera flash...

thanks in advance!

:think: maybe TS can get the foam, tape black paper behind it and then some metal rods to become flashbender-wannabe? ;)

I have all three sizes. But the diffuser I only got for the biggest one.

thoongeng said:

thanks in advance!

I'm using the Small one. I don't normally do off-cam lighting, and the small one is more than enough for my macro needs. You are correct. The Large isn't suitable on-cam. It's heavy, bulky and awkward.

I have all three sizes. But the diffuser I only got for the biggest one.

wow all 3, cool! sorry hijack TS's thread a little more... wondering what situation will you use the bounce card? Could only think if you need to be as portable as possible, but thought the small positionable one not that much bigger?

I'm using the Small one. I don't normally do off-cam lighting, and the small one is more than enough for my macro needs. You are correct. The Large isn't suitable on-cam. It's heavy, bulky and awkward.

oic thanks for your 1st hand tip!

wow all 3, cool! sorry hijack TS's thread a little more... wondering what situation will you use the bounce card? Could only think if you need to be as portable as possible, but thought the small positionable one not that much bigger?

The small one is thin and long... For larger group shoot, the medium one works better, because it is longer, helping with the wider angle... the big one is perfect for off camera flash.