DIY bounce card for flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jinn

hi all

may i know what kinda material do you use to make the bounce card for the flash? and where to get it? i have already gotten the valcro strap, but just can't find the right material for the bounce card.

thanks.

My suggestion is to paste a layer of aluminum foil on a cardboard. Crumple the aluminum foil first so that the reflection is diffused, then paste the foil onto the cardboard using Uhu glue stick.

Here's what I did:

7138473-8796-02000180-.jpg

7138465-61ab-01800200-.jpg

Check out this page for more detailed descriptions:

http://members11.clubphoto.com/roy360037/575034/guest.phtml

Thought just use a white card and rubber band will do???

megaweb, borrow your picture :D

flashlite_side_01.jpg

Originally posted by Keito
megaweb, borrow your picture :D

flashlite_side_01.jpg

sure ..

but this setup is only good for taking near object ( enough for taking pple shot ) ... as for roygoh's one , can take much further object ...

thanks for the replies. i hv seen megaweb's b4, that's why i wanna know what kinda material is being used and where to get it. :)

oh ... my cardboard is from the popular book shop .. $3 1 big pic white , plastic like cardboard ... can cut into many piece of deflector ...

The alluminum foil is more reflective, so you get more light from your reflector. Crumpling it before glueing it onto the reflector board is to achieve the diffused lighting effect, which is why we wanted a reflector in the first place.

I believe megaweb's design should work well with the aluminum foil as well. If you use the same board megaweb used, you can have the aluminum foil on 1 side, and switch between the 2 to get the best results.

Originally posted by roygoh
The alluminum foil is more reflective, so you get more light from your reflector. Crumpling it before glueing it onto the reflector board is to achieve the diffused lighting effect, which is why we wanted a reflector in the first place.

I believe megaweb's design should work well with the aluminum foil as well. If you use the same board megaweb used, you can have the aluminum foil on 1 side, and switch between the 2 to get the best results.

where do you glue the aluminum foil on the board ? on the surface or sandwich or behind ? I saw your pic and the surface is white color (no aluminum foil ) ...

Originally posted by megaweb

where do you glue the aluminum foil on the board ? on the surface or sandwich or behind ? I saw your pic and the surface is white color (no aluminum foil ) ...

Sorry lah, this pic is taken before the aluminum foil is attached, that's why you could not see it. It should be on the surface facing the flash, and I believe you have guessed correctly where it should go to.

I have not seen any users with aluminium foil before...but seen alot of d.i.y white boards....

Isit tat any white board will do? Need glossy or matt surface? Heh

:D

Sorry lah, this pic is taken before the aluminum foil is attached, that's why you could not see it. It should be on the surface facing the flash, and I believe you have guessed correctly where it should go to.

Wah !! negative screenshot :D .. anyway I will try to make a similar reflector board that what you have make .. :)

I saw some1 posted a thread at HWZ on a reflector board with a curve angle design to allow the light to spread evenly in radius ... can that person re-post the design here again ?

Originally posted by sbs99
I have not seen any users with aluminium foil before...but seen alot of d.i.y white boards....

Isit tat any white board will do? Need glossy or matt surface? Heh

:D

Surface should be matt for diffusing the light source.

am i right to say tat reflector is more for close up and human photography to prevent harsh light? same concept as bouncing off ceiling?

how abt flash extender?? any DYI to show? is it for directing more light to the front so as to "extend" the flash range?

so for fill-in flash, which one to use?

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Copied from Photography Tips

Bouncing the flash is an effective alternative to direct flash.

Bouncing the light from a flash involves directing your flash head at a reflective surface so that light striking the subject off the surface becomes more spread out and is less unidirectional.

This tends to soften the illumination and produce more natural-looking portraits and other pictures. Bounce flash is also effective in eliminating red-eye.

My suggestion is to paste a layer of aluminum foil on a cardboard. Crumple the aluminum foil first so that the reflection is diffused, then paste the foil onto the cardboard using Uhu glue stick.

Here's what I did:

7138473-8796-02000180-.jpg

Check out this page for more detailed descriptions:

http://members11.clubphoto.com/roy360037/575034/guest.phtml

hi roy, your link does not work and your pictures also does not show.

:(

Originally posted by hackie
am i right to say tat reflector is more for close up and human photography to prevent harsh light? same concept as bouncing off ceiling?

how abt flash extender?? any DYI to show? is it for directing more light to the front so as to "extend" the flash range?

so for fill-in flash, which one to use?

[/QUOTE

me also want to know the answers for the above questions!! :dunno:

On the topic of bounce card...I tried with this DIY bounce card...

flash.jpg

and the result at 60 degree bounce

bear%20with%20reflector.jpg

and without the reflector at 60 degree bounce...

bear%20wo%20reflector.jpg

to me the 2nd pic looks warmer, right?? I just got the feeling that with the reflector card, it still creates quite a harsh pic. Maybe it is becos my seling was lower and if in a ballroom setting, it will be different??

Another thing..this was taken from G2, so if from SLR film, effect should be the same?

Please advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.