DIY : 8xAAs battery pack for Xdrive2


Status
Not open for further replies.

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#1
Went to Sim Lim Tower(not Square) and only spent S$2.50 for this DIY battery pack (w/o the Sanyo 2100maH NiMH batteries) of course.

Breakdown cost:
8 x AA battery holder = S$1.80
DC plug to Xdrive = S$0.70
Voila!!! A 16800mAH battery pack!!!

For those who's willing to spend a little bit more, instead of the 70cent connector, get the Alda Multiple DC plugkit, only S$3.80. Then u can plug yr battery pack into anything requiring 12V with the 6 plugs!

BTW, got it from Kaichin 3rd floor SL Tower.
 

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#3
BTW, got my X-drive2 from PK Computers at Funan.
Formatted the 20G harddrive with my Windows 2000(NTFS) laptop to FAT32.

Worked perfectly!

Another, DIY:
I placed an metal washer (by double side 3M tape) around the ON-OFF switch so that it does not accidentally switch on! That's the only gripe I had with the Xdrive2 so far!
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#4
Originally posted by hentaitic

Voila!!! A 16800mAH battery pack!!!

Does the Xdrive use a 12 volt input?

If so, I don't think the capacity of your battery pack adds up to 16800mAH since you'd have to connect all the batts in a series arrangement. It would be if the Xdrive needs only the voltage of one battery to operate though, and you hook 8 AAs in a parallel configuration.

Another cost effective way of getting an external battery pack that's rechargeable, for your Xdrive, is to use a 12V SLA. :angel:
 

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#5
Originally posted by arwenacer
Can show the picture? Thanks!
I am fully packed for my 2 week tracking trip in Northern Thailand. Too lazy to unpack everything rite now...to take the picture of the batt pack.


Opps, almost forgot to pack my SARS N95 3M mask!
 

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#6
Originally posted by kahheng
Does the Xdrive use a 12 volt input?

If so, I don't think the capacity of your battery pack adds up to 16800mAH since you'd have to connect all the batts in a series arrangement. It would be if the Xdrive needs only the voltage of one battery to operate though, and you hook 8 AAs in a parallel configuration.

Another cost effective way of getting an external battery pack that's rechargeable, for your Xdrive, is to use a 12V SLA. :angel:
Series: add the voltages
Parallel: add the Currents
Opps, in all my excitement, forgot Basic Physics!

Xdrive2:(from the user manual)
Internal Power = 3.6V x2 (720mAH)
External Power = 12V adapter (1500mAH)

Question is...with my batt pack
External Power = 1.5V x 8 = 12V (2100mAH) right???

Comparing the 720mAH vs 2100mAH...
will my power pack outlast the internal power 3 times?

Just a newbie!!!
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#7
Originally posted by hentaitic
Series: add the voltages
Parallel: add the Currents
Opps, in all my excitement, forgot Basic Physics!

Xdrive2:(from the user manual)
Internal Power = 3.6V x2 (720mAH)
External Power = 12V adapter (1500mAH)

Question is...with my batt pack
External Power = 1.5V x 8 = 12V (2100mAH) right???

Comparing the 720mAH vs 2100mAH...
will my power pack outlast the internal power 3 times?

Just a newbie!!!
Yup, it's really 2100mAH ;-)

If you want to built a larger capacity pack, you'd want to investigate either using SLAs or D size NIMH cells, both of which will be heavier than your 8 AAs.

I am a big fan of building packs myself so it's great to see someone else going down the DIY path.

Have fun.
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#8
Originally posted by kahheng
Yup, it's really 2100mAH ;-)

If you want to built a larger capacity pack, you'd want to investigate either using SLAs or D size NIMH cells, both of which will be heavier than your 8 AAs.

I am a big fan of building packs myself so it's great to see someone else going down the DIY path.

Have fun.
ah, "C" size NIMHs will certainly do too to cut down on weight.
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#9
I tried this before, you will need a set of brand-new AA battery, and it can last only about 2 rounds. If you use old AA battery, you have the voltage, but do not have enough currently to spin up the harddisc motor. So in the end, you will always need to carry brand-new AAs.
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#10
Originally posted by Astin
I tried this before, you will need a set of brand-new AA battery, and it can last only about 2 rounds. If you use old AA battery, you have the voltage, but do not have enough currently to spin up the harddisc motor. So in the end, you will always need to carry brand-new AAs.
Well, each Nimh battery is nominally 1.2V, maybe 1.35-1.4V when near-full or fully charged. I think the issue you face is a reduction in total voltage as the battery pack becomes more depleted.

It ultimately has to do with the device you're trying to power - how finicky it reacts to a lower than stated voltage.

The folks who've dismantled those NIMH external packs sold for digicams often that there's an 'extra' cell - i.e., 5 cells instead of 4 for 6V DCIN cameras. There's good reason for that now you know.
 

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#11
Actually I am using the AA sized Sanyo 2100mAH NiMH batt (x8) to power my batt packs. When not in need for this batt pack, the 8 batteries are for backup for my camera which requires 4 AA NiMHs. Great combination. That's why I am stickin to AA size batt only and not size C or D batteries.

But yr revelation on the extra battery in the power pack is quite interesting. Funny cos the Sanyo NiMH batt are rated at 1.2V. So for 12V actually I would need 10 AA's. Maybe one day I would fry the Xdrive2's Lithium batt. Then claim warranty! He He He!!!
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#12
Technically speaking, you need a high enough CURRENT to spin up the harddisc motor and to create the magnetic field to disengage the magnet inside the harddisc. Then subsequently you need a high enough VOLTAGE to maintain the electronic circuit. Thats why only brand-new AAs work, half-used AAs does not work.

No offence here, if you study Physics or Electronics, you will know what I meant, otherwise you can ignore what I said.
 

hentaitic

New Member
Dec 25, 2002
107
0
0
www.pbase.com
#13
Originally posted by Astin
Technically speaking, you need a high enough CURRENT to spin up the harddisc motor and to create the magnetic field to disengage the magnet inside the harddisc. Then subsequently you need a high enough VOLTAGE to maintain the electronic circuit. Thats why only brand-new AAs work, half-used AAs does not work.

No offence here, if you study Physics or Electronics, you will know what I meant, otherwise you can ignore what I said.
U said u've tried this before right? But isn't the 12V batt pack primary job, to charge up the internal Lithium batt?

Just like u use a square 9V batt to charge up your Nokia phone's Lithium batt, rite?

The internal power of the Xdrive is just 3.6V x 2 = 7.2V and only 720mAH rite?
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#14
OIC, I think I misunderstand you from the beginning.

- You use the AA battery pack to recharge the internal Lithium battery when it dies out.

- I use the AA battery pack to replace the internal Lithium battery when it dies out.

Never mind then.;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom