Diving Siao comes in. need advice. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechee

Sep 22, 2002
Sengkang
Visit site
Dear all diving buddies, actually i am sourcing for my personal diving sets, namely fins, wetsuit, masks.

Can recommend any diving forums to get the infos?
And shops u frequents that give reasonable pricing on the items?

Going for my AOWD this july, so not sure if should get the jet fins as i have seen good reviews from my fren. (though the price of jet fin will definitely be much more than my budget.)

My budget though -
Fins < 80SGD
Mask < 40SGD
Wetsuit in the price range of 100 or ard.

Thanks in advance
Cheers.

Hi. If you are really interested into getting the jet fins (the old tire rubber type), then maybe you would like to consider putting the investment in the wetsuit into getting the jet fins. Cost about S$160, since last check few months back.

Might even consider Force Fins. See someone use before, feels better above and under water. Think you can walk better with the Force Fins when walking to the jumping platform.

Wetsuit might not be a must for diving in tropical waters like Malaysia (assuming you are doing your AOWD in Malaysia). Even night dives. I sometime dives with my army overall to prevent scratches, not cold. :p It all depends of individual. For me i have enough body fats to insulate against cold. :p So pls don't bombard me. Just my thoughts. :p

i think can visit deep blue or blue wave.

anyway some diving gear should come to peninsular soon.

Originally posted by cheechee
Dear all diving buddies, actually i am sourcing for my personal diving sets, namely fins, wetsuit, masks.

Can recommend any diving forums to get the infos?
And shops u frequents that give reasonable pricing on the items?

Going for my AOWD this july, so not sure if should get the jet fins as i have seen good reviews from my fren. (though the price of jet fin will definitely be much more than my budget.)

My budget though -
Fins < 80SGD
Mask < 40SGD
Wetsuit in the price range of 100 or ard.

Thanks in advance
Cheers.

I highly recommend the jet fins - once you have tried them, nothing else will do! ;) You can get "OEM" versions ($60 only!) at this shop on beach road (row of hdb shops) beside the hawker centre.

Most dive shops have a sale from time to time - subscribe to the mailing lists of several shops and you can find some bargains. Unfortunately, in my experience, the pricing of dive gear in Singapore isn't very competitive nor transparent, so you shld shop around and compare prices before buying.

Happy diving!:D

Hi Kng. Is there an "OEM" version of the jet fin? Is it the same length. One reason why i like jet fin is it's short length as compare to the other fins that fits my feet. And without losing power when finning. Being short means twist and turn with the fin is easier and faster.

Originally posted by serendipity
Hi. If you are really interested into getting the jet fins (the old tire rubber type), then maybe you would like to consider putting the investment in the wetsuit into getting the jet fins. Cost about S$160, since last check few months back.

Might even consider Force Fins. See someone use before, feels better above and under water. Think you can walk better with the Force Fins when walking to the jumping platform.

Wetsuit might not be a must for diving in tropical waters like Malaysia (assuming you are doing your AOWD in Malaysia). Even night dives. I sometime dives with my army overall to prevent scratches, not cold. :p It all depends of individual. For me i have enough body fats to insulate against cold. :p So pls don't bombard me. Just my thoughts. :p

actually i am wondering can dive without wetsuit, just wear a t-shirt with swimming trunk or not. hehe. But will probably looks weird whilst other AWOD buddies rented the shorties or fullsuits from the dive operators.....:D
Yap... thanks for recommending force fins. Think probably will heed the advice of most and go try out the jet fins in dive shops before purchasing. Anything to specify while trying out fins? or just try the size of the fin to see fit or not then purchase?

And those who uses jet fins, is it true that u must have very strong legs using this? As what i heard jet fins are very hard and small, thus difficult to manouver if not familiar with it?

Originally posted by kng
I highly recommend the jet fins - once you have tried them, nothing else will do! ;) You can get "OEM" versions ($60 only!) at this shop on beach road (row of hdb shops) beside the hawker centre.

Most dive shops have a sale from time to time - subscribe to the mailing lists of several shops and you can find some bargains. Unfortunately, in my experience, the pricing of dive gear in Singapore isn't very competitive nor transparent, so you shld shop around and compare prices before buying.

Happy diving!:D

Thanks Kng, :D
Btw, do you have the specific names of the dive shops? and possibly the addresses?
and the diving "peninsular" in singapore whereby there are a lot dive shops ard? One i know is lucky plaza, others?

And by "OEM" u mean it is not by scubapro? Cheers
Thanks.

Originally posted by BigBelly
i think can visit deep blue or blue wave.

anyway some diving gear should come to peninsular soon.

Where are deep blue or blue wave situated?
And is there any dive shops in peninsular too?
Cheers

Hi CheeChee. I think you won't look weird to dive just with T-shirt and trunks. But i would prefer bermudas over the trunks. :D I can think of one advandage for not wearing wetsuit if you are not afraid of cold and are careful enough not to suffer any serious scratehes in limbs. Wearing wetsuit is a tough task to me, and i am afraid of the heat with the wetsuit on and not in the water yet. If you notice, just before jumping into water, most divers with wetsuit will be sweating liao.

Actually the jet fins although hard and heavy, but in the water you will not feel the weight. And becos it is short, thus hardness wise it is still OK. You will have real problem if you have something long and hard. Or short and soft. And it is much easier to manouver than longer fins. But maybe you really need strong legs to use it. :D

Have you consider getting a pair of gloves? It might be more important than the wetsuit, cos most of the time it is your hands that get you out of trouble. Like holding onto a line full of shells when doing decomp stop, or push away from rocks in strong current. Or holding onto rocks in strong current.

Where are deep blue or blue wave situated?
And is there any dive shops in peninsular too?
Cheers

Deep Blue is at Riverside Point, there are two dive shops there. Formerly, from the same shop at Newton Circus. Got my stuffs from there, price is OK. What I like is their service, very friendly...

Originally posted by serendipity
Hi Kng. Is there an "OEM" version of the jet fin? Is it the same length. One reason why i like jet fin is it's short length as compare to the other fins that fits my feet. And without losing power when finning. Being short means twist and turn with the fin is easier and faster.

I think the brand is IDI? They have some model of jet fins, quite similar to Scubapro, but their heel strap a little difficult to put on when you are in a hurry.

actually i am wondering can dive without wetsuit, just wear a t-shirt with swimming trunk or not. hehe. But will probably looks weird whilst other AWOD buddies rented the shorties or fullsuits from the dive operators.....:D

I wouldn't recommend diving without a wetsuit, if you cross the thermo-cline, you will freeze. A wetsuit protects you against jellyfish stings too which can be quite nasty....

If you are uncomfortable with a full suit, you can consider a shortie... Easier to put on and more comfortable.

Not sure about you, but for hygiene purpose, I prefer having my personal stuffs like wetsuit, mask and snorkel. If you have the money, a personal regulator will be nice too....

Thanks Midreef. Had found their wetsite. The power fins really look like the Scubapro jet fins. :p But wonder how's the price, is it really S$60 in Singapore, at the shops along beach road?

Thanks.
Chee Chee, I know of many pple who happily dive in t-shirt & swimsuit - wet suits are fairly expensive esp when you don't buy during a sale. A generic spore brand full wetsuit is approx S$150 - if you hang on for a sale, you can get a branded one for $160-180. IMHO, there is a big diff in the fit and finish between the 2.

More importantly, you have to shop around to find a brand that suits your body type - eg. tall lanky type, compact beefy type etc - cos the fit will determine how warm the wetsuit is. Bring an experienced diver friend along to check the fit. When you do multiple dives over many days, a wetsuit can be very useful in keeping you comfy and warm during dives.

To clarify, the "OEM" jetfins are a no-brand copy of the scubapro ones. I can't remember the name of the shop but it is in the middle of the row of low shophouses facing beach rd, right beside the beach rd "army mall"!

I think the "OEM" Scubapro is rather a look-a-like. I think they are called Rocket Fins by and Allround Sports carries that.

Originally posted by kng
Chee Chee, I know of many pple who happily dive in t-shirt & swimsuit - wet suits are fairly expensive esp when you don't buy during a sale. A generic spore brand full wetsuit is approx S$150 - if you hang on for a sale, you can get a branded one for $160-180. IMHO, there is a big diff in the fit and finish between the 2.

when i was diving in similan last december, i gave up wearing wetsuits after the first day. i wore berms and t-shirt. not cold at all. anyway i'm BigBelly so maybe not so cold lor..

however wearing wetsuits gives protection against scratches and itch caused by sea bugs. i did not wear a wet suit when i went to penetrate a wreck and got scratched by a rusty metal door. fortunately nothing wrong.

truly...get the scubapro 0.5mm wetsuit..
i had the 3mm...its too thick..hard to put on/off..
the o.5mm..feels great in and also above water..i even use it when travelling light ..use it even snorkelling...

u'll feel comfortable with its high stretch...
unless u are going diving in cooler waters like bali,this one will be fine...
try richmonds at concourse...

scubapro 0.5mm in tropical waters....comfortable even worn often on land..

75366145VhPoKr_ph.jpg

...and it costs less than a $100

Yap... thanks for recommending force fins. Think probably will heed the advice of most and go try out the jet fins in dive shops before purchasing. Anything to specify while trying out fins? or just try the size of the fin to see fit or not then purchase?

And those who uses jet fins, is it true that u must have very strong legs using this? As what i heard jet fins are very hard and small, thus difficult to manouver if not familiar with it?

Btw, do you have the specific names of the dive shops? and possibly the addresses?
and the diving "peninsular" in singapore whereby there are a lot dive shops ard? One i know is lucky plaza, others?

Diving without wetsuit helps your buoyancy to the finnest. Coz you do not need extra weights, thus you are more neutral. But wear a wetsuit if the water's cold or you are scared of cold.

2 value vs quality fins are the scubapro jetfins and the mares quattro.
Jetfins: heavy, take more leg power(but better trust), tiring on long surface swims, quick turning, short and very durable.

Quattro: long, lighter, better buckle system, slower turning, good torque, lighetr on the muscles then jetfins.

I have tried the jetfins(used to own them, scubapro and 'OEM'), quattro(using them now), forcefins(used to own them).

Think I would stick with quattro, coz I have big feet, and can only use XL sized jetfins, damn tiring and heavy.

trying out fins in the pool proves nothing! It is only really tested against current, so how to find current in pools? Even the worse fins do OK in pools :(

the OEM scubapro jetfins is the aqualung( aka US divers) rapid(aka rocket) fins. Made of stiffer compunds, no holes on fins to reduce resistance. Not worth saving the $$$. Go for the real jetfins instead.

Originally posted by kng
To clarify, the "OEM" jetfins are a no-brand copy of the scubapro ones. I can't remember the name of the shop but it is in the middle of the row of low shophouses facing beach rd, right beside the beach rd "army mall"!

You toking about sports center?
For jetfins, go for scubapro only, I have tried the diff types of OEMs before, not as good.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.