Distance of ZUIKO lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

windcaster

Dec 9, 2008
just a question i have in mind.

olympus offers dslr kit lens at 14-42 mm while the other brands like nikon canon sony all have like to 70mm kit lens or 80mm kit lens.

are the distance the same 14-42 distance = 18-70mm distance?

like the other kit lens 40 to 150mm = 70 to 300mm of sony? or do the olympus users need to buy a 70 to 300mm lens to have the same zoomage?:dunno:

nikon uses 1.5x crop factor while canon uses 1.6x crop factor (correct me if i remembered the other way)..

olympus uses 2x crop factor (four-thirds system).. i.e. to say 14-42mm is essentially a 28-84mm on full frame..

btw it's not call the "distance".. it's called "focal length"..

Please get rid of any "zoomage" or zoom factor, focal length is the only criteria. But for cropped sensor cameras you need to know and always consider the crop factor. It changes the Field of View. AFAIK, Olympus crop factor is 2, so your 14-42 will give a Field of View equivalent to 28-82 on Full Frame. Not too far away from the kit lens of Canon, e.g. 18-55. Canon has a crop factor of 1.6 resulting in a Field of View equivalent to roughly 28-82mm. Where's the big difference?

oh so it got nothing to do with the 14-42mm or 18 to 70mm? they are basically about the same distance?

Simi distance?
As others have pointed out, the right term would be 'focal length'.
The reason why the focal length works out to be roughly the same is due to the different crop factors of the different cameras.
Meaning, you have different sized image sensors. Now that would just confuse the heck out of buyers, so they've used the 35mm film negative as a basis of comparison to determine the crop factor, which in turn allows the focal length of lens to be stated in 35mm equivalence.
That way, apples can be compared to apples.

rf

oh so it got nothing to do with the 14-42mm or 18 to 70mm? they are basically about the same distance?

ops sorry sorry

i mean focal length

WIll try to explain in simpler terms, i was very confused what crop factor was and all the other jargon being tossed about when i started out too.

I'm not all too sure yet, but your eye's natural view is roughly the equivalence of 41mm or so, in terms of Focal Length.
Anything less will "zoom out" from the subject,
anything more will "zoom in" on it.

Many consumer grade DSLRs contain sensors which are small, or what you refer to as "cropped sensor".
For decades before digital imaging came about, we all used film. And your common film is the 35mm film, the stuff that you always see in photolabs.
As i mentioned, consumer grade DSLRs still contain sensors which are small, and so they are not the size of a 35mm. However, professional grade DSLRs contain sensors which match this 35mm size. Very costly to produce, and one wafer of silicon sensor material can only produce roughly twenty 35mm sized sensors. That means only about 20 cameras made for each wafer like that, as compared to many times more "crop sensors" being produced.
These are your "full frame" bodies, containing sensors the same size as your 35mm film.

Hope u understand better now, it took me some time too. The jargon and vocab is the most difficult part to learn, IMO.
I hope i haven't shared anything misinformed either, because i'm not exactly very experienced either :(

On a final note -

All focal length of lenses are EQUAL. It's a universal thing and does not vary from brand to brand.
All the focal length of lenses are also in accordance to the "full frame"/35mm based sensor. To determine your TRUE focal length of your current lens on your camera, determine the "crop" of your camera model's sensor (which varies from brand to brand / camera to camera), and then multiply your focal length by this crop.

E.g. - Lens says 50mm,
My body's crop is x1.5
= 50mm x 1.5
= 75mm

Last edited:
There is an article in this week's Straits Times Digital Life supplement which may help visualize what a smaller sensor and crop factor means if the TS still needs more information.

Lets try to simplify stuff here,
ur lens is 14-42mm, on a Oly body with a 2x Crop factor, results in ur focal length when u use this 2 pieces of equiment to have a range of 28-84mm in 35mm/FX Measurement.
Eg, nikon's D80's Kit(sorry im old school) with the 18-135mm lens, Nikon DX bodies have a 1.5x crop factor, so this 2 pieces of equipment put together will result in a 27-203mm in 35mm/FX measurement...
geddit?

35mm/FX basically means No Zero Kosong crop factor, what the range on the lens is, is what you get... unless u're using a not fully compatible lens... such as a DX lens on a FX body...

Last edited:
On a final note -

All focal length of lenses are EQUAL. It's a universal thing and does not vary from brand to brand.
All the focal length of lenses are also in accordance to the "full frame"/35mm based sensor. To determine your TRUE focal length of your current lens on your camera, determine the "crop" of your camera model's sensor (which varies from brand to brand / camera to camera), and then multiply your focal length by this crop.

E.g. - Lens says 50mm,
My body's crop is x1.5
= 50mm x 1.5
= 75mm

Sorry, this part is not so accurate. The TRUE focal length cannot change, it is part of the lens design. What changes is only the field of view. So even though your 50mm lens might have the field of view of a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera, the depth of field will still be the same as for a 50mm lens.

There is no crop factor in 4/3 system. Crop factor is not the same as multiplying factor. Simply because 4/3 lenses are built to match the sensor.

There is no crop factor in 4/3 system. Crop factor is not the same as multiplying factor. Simply because 4/3 lenses are built to match the sensor.

agree,TS,basically,the field of view for both lenses on their respective camera are basically the same

most people are in a way accustomed to the 35mm format therefore when comparing focal length,we tend to convert everything to the 35mm format,meaning your zuiko lens will be 28-84 in 35mm format and another Nikon would be,using the same distance of 14-42,Nikon will be about 22-67(no such lens,just a reference) and Canon will be 21-63(also no such lens,just for reference)

Essentially,the lens is still built to have the same focal length,just that because of the size of the sensor,it will affect how the picture will come out like.Using a 10-20mm Sigma lens on a D700 or 5D Mk II,the focal length is still 10-20mm,but when using on a 4/3 camera,due to multiplication factor,it is equal to 20-40mm,using it on a camera like D90 or 50D,it will give 16-32 and for the latter 15-30,but at the end of the day,it's still a 10-20mm lens because the manufacture made it so.Understand?can pm me if you don't understand,i'll simplify my explanation :)

Then by that explanation, DT lenses on an APS-C sensor would make it "not cropped" either.

and yet all the markings on the lenses are 35mm standard.

In the end, it's the same concept. You call it "multiply", others call it "crop".

Then by that explanation, DT lenses on an APS-C sensor would make it "not cropped" either.

and yet all the markings on the lenses are 35mm standard.

In the end, it's the same concept. You call it "multiply", others call it "crop".

bro,DT lenses on APS-C sensors have no crop,because DT lenses are made specifically for APS-C sensors,just the the Zuiko lenses do not put the 35mm standard markings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.