Disscussion on Time for CD/Print (TFCD/TFP)

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
This thread is for discussion on various issues of Time for CD/Print (TFCD/TFP).

All members are welcome to post your views here.

DO NOT post any request or offer of Time for CD/Print here.

thanks catchlights.

please do not to turn this into flame thread.

those who questions my comments on my thread, you can continue here. I will be glad to share my views (of cos u have yours too).

Last edited:
Definition of TFCD/TFP taken from Time for print - Wikipedia

Time for Print (or Trade for Print or Test for Print, often abbreviated TFP, and sometimes also called Print for Time or PFT) is a term used in many online photography communities describing an arrangement between a model and a photographer, whereby the photographer agrees to provide the model with an agreed number of pictures of the best photographs from the session and a limited license to use those pictures in return for the model's time. A variant of this arrangement is Time for CD or Trade for CD (TFCD). With TFCD, the selection of images is provided on a CD in lieu of prints. Similarly, with the ease and convenience of digital distribution of high resolution images, the generic term TF* has evolved, where it does not necessarily refer to a tangible CD or Printed image since the same accepted rules apply.
There are benefits to both parties of such an arrangement: the model can build a portfolio of prints to show to prospective clients at little or no cost, while the photographer gets a model for a particular project with little if any outlay of cash.

in short, this is an agreement between Photographer and model, sometime it also involve with makeup artist, stylist etc..

the images which being created by the photographers, tho is a co-effort of multiple parties, photographer owns the copyrights the images unless stated otherwise, photographer grant models/makeup artist/stylist the rights of use these images for portfolio or promotional purposes.

all parties are not allowed to use the images for any commercialize usage or reselling the images, unless the other party is being notified, agreed, and compensated accordingly.

anyone can offer TFCD to others, and Ones is no obligation to accept any TFCD if ones think the collaboration will not beneficial to his/her portfolio or does not agree with the term being offered.

it is recommended to have a written agreement to define all the responsibility, entitlement, deliverable, time frame etc, clearly before the session.

Last edited:
With response to this

My views are.

Shooting a so call xmm theme has nothing to do with age, older people can still do it.

In group shoot you may not always have to shoot the cute cute type of shots, if you have an idea, expressed it to the model, depending on the experience of the model, a more experienced one will get it faster than a less experienced one.

Its a 2 way thing, the photographer to capture the moment but its the model that makes it, communication is important. If the photographer does not do give an idea or pose, the model will of course give a very generic happy smily pose which may turn out to be xmm style.

In 1 to 1 shoots, indeed you have more time to do the poses and themes you want, that is provided you have already done your homework and have a plan to carry out. It will be a waste of time otherwise to just stare blanking at each other unless all you want is a date with the model.

In group shoots, you may less time to do what you want but there are things to learn as well, you can suggest and try out new ideas and there are people on the spot to give your feedback if the idea is good or not and you also learn new things from other photographers and sometimes when you do teach or advice other photographers, it will reenforce your own understandings.

With response to this

My views are.

Shooting a so call xmm theme has nothing to do with age, older people can still do it.

In group shoot you may not always have to shoot the cute cute type of shots, if you have an idea, expressed it to the model, depending on the experience of the model, a more experienced one will get it faster than a less experienced one.

Its a 2 way thing, the photographer to capture the moment but its the model that makes it, communication is important. If the photographer does not do give an idea or pose, the model will of course give a very generic happy smily pose which may turn out to be xmm style.

In 1 to 1 shoots, indeed you have more time to do the poses and themes you want, that is provided you have already done your homework and have a plan to carry out. It will be a waste of time otherwise to just stare blanking at each other unless all you want is a date with the model.

In group shoots, you may less time to do what you want but there are things to learn as well, you can suggest and try out new ideas and there are people on the spot to give your feedback if the idea is good or not and you also learn new things from other photographers and sometimes when you do teach or advice other photographers, it will reenforce your own understandings.

i never say old people cannot shoot xmm if u are mistaken haha, i only say, shooting xmm is not my style. i prefer older (of cos not very old), matured models who is serious. those act cute poses is strictly no no for me. cos i dun want my potential paying customers to come to my portfolio site with one comment "you are good at shooting xmm only", so are you even a serious photog? can i trust you with my works?.

but going for paid shoots, there is other photog which like this type of photos, i can't say no right?

anyway i agree to most of your points (that's your views). bottom line, different ppl different styles. like you have yours, i have mine.

let me repeat, i am not a mad person going into those threads and bash them with my own views any O how, if u go read those threads again, its only when someone brought up this topic, i posted my views and i dun expected anyone to agree with me, but i am just saying my post. else usually i just keep quiet.

Last edited:
Same here. I just can't stand looking at act cute models. Worse thing is, some act cute, but not cute. :bsmilie:

By the way, I'd like to try out TFCD, but how to start? I see CS if got one model ask for TFCD, he/she sure kena swarm by PMs and emails, I don't think I"ll even stand a chance. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
By the way, I'd like to try out TFCD, but how to start? I see CS if got one model ask for TFCD, he/she sure kena swarm by PMs and emails, I don't think I"ll even stand a chance. :bsmilie:

Ask friends. friends of friends, relatives etc.

To be honest, many of the 'models' I see on CS (paid or not) aren't much better than anyone off the street -- when it comes to posing, that is.

For those paid shots, i will expect the models to know how to pose, dress, etc.
For TFCD, it is a chance for both to work on it together to make things work; for practise and building of portfolio. :)

Same here. I just can't stand looking at act cute models. Worse thing is, some act cute, but not cute. :bsmilie:

ACBC (act cute buay cute) models are all the rage :dunno:

In any case, you can try taking self portraits for a start. Doesn't have to be something you can add to your portfolio, but the idea- lighting, exposure, themes etc. are all there for you to practice.

Professionals also do TFCD sessions, I have been working with professional models, everyday people on TFCD term regularly, to get the images I want without paying my models.

most professional models also do TFCD on a regular basis, that is the way how they update their portfolio, since photographer don't give any images to models for a paid assignment.

For newbie photographers who wish to learn about portrait shoot, I recommend them should sign up a couple of Photoshoot secessions, to see how the way model shoot session being conduct, directing a model to pose etc..

and find anyone you know of, your siblings, spouse, friend or colleague to pose for you, for some practices.

if you still have problems of producing decent results consistently, it is not recommended to engage TFCD session with people you don't know, because you have obligation to produce decent images for compensation of their time, and when you working with people you know of, you can always offer them a nice meal for their help, not necessary to give them photos.

asking people you know of to help you is much easier than asking models for TFCD. since models only want to get paid, unless photographers able to offer good images as compensation.

Use your inferno to burn out the competiton la :bsmilie:

I want XMM to pay me to shoot them :bsmilie:

If they like the photographs you took, why not? :dunno:
very unlikely...

there are far too many GWC willing to offer green tea, sponsor MUA, wardrobe, be chauffeur, carry fan, carry chairs, bring lighting, bring reflector, free session, free touch up, free poster print, free DVD ROM..
treating the ah huay ah lian XMM models feel like princess, why would they want to pay you to shoot them?