display pix online


Status
Not open for further replies.

EiRiK

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2003
1,234
0
36
North
www.eiriktan.com
how come when i post pix online, they look so dull?
when i open in PS or windows the colours look much richer... :dunno:
 

rEveRie

New Member
Nov 19, 2005
289
0
0
Nikon
www.robbysucipto.com
EiRiK said:
how come when i post pix online, they look so dull?
when i open in PS or windows the colours look much richer... :dunno:
very likely because you have taken your pictures in adobe RGB colour space.
simply change it to sRGB. you can convert that in PS.

:D
 

topster

New Member
Nov 22, 2005
237
0
0
I think web browser or html cant display as many bits as PS...not sure tho
 

EiRiK

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2003
1,234
0
36
North
www.eiriktan.com
rEveRie said:
very likely because you have taken your pictures in adobe RGB colour space.
simply change it to sRGB. you can convert that in PS.

:D
will the reverse(online become rich colour and windows/PS become dull) be true if i convert to sRGB?

what abt if i save it in sRGB and send the pix for printing?

sorry for the many questions
thanks again
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
44
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
hmm.. if u're using adobe RGB and it only displays dull colours online, must be u're using a viewer on ur pc that can read adobe RGB profile. otherwise it would look dull on ur pc also with something like windows picture viewer, for example.

when sending for printing, check with the shop to see if they support adobe RGB. if they do, then u can send the files that way, if not it's always safer to convert to sRGB.
 

rEveRie

New Member
Nov 19, 2005
289
0
0
Nikon
www.robbysucipto.com
jOhO said:
hmm.. if u're using adobe RGB and it only displays dull colours online, must be u're using a viewer on ur pc that can read adobe RGB profile. otherwise it would look dull on ur pc also with something like windows picture viewer, for example.

when sending for printing, check with the shop to see if they support adobe RGB. if they do, then u can send the files that way, if not it's always safer to convert to sRGB.
agreed. only shops with softwares that reads adobe RGB profile will be able to reproduce the larger colour gamut in prints.

it would be quite safe with sRGB because what comes out will be what you can see on web or monitor (that reads maximum to sRGB), however how consistent the colour is with your monitor would depends on callibration... haiz.. headache.. hahaha.
 

EiRiK

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2003
1,234
0
36
North
www.eiriktan.com
hhmm... like that i should just shoot in sRGB to save 1 step(conversion)....
 

rEveRie

New Member
Nov 19, 2005
289
0
0
Nikon
www.robbysucipto.com
EiRiK said:
hhmm... like that i should just shoot in sRGB to save 1 step(conversion)....
erm provided you're satisfied that is the way your colour is going to be.
adobe RGB would give you bigger flexibilities if you are going to do post processing ;)
 

EiRiK

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2003
1,234
0
36
North
www.eiriktan.com
sorry i am very slow at this.
sRGB gives better colours when displayed online, but aRGB has larger colour gamut...:dunno:

thanks for being patient with me guys
 

rEveRie

New Member
Nov 19, 2005
289
0
0
Nikon
www.robbysucipto.com
EiRiK said:
sorry i am very slow at this.
sRGB gives better colours when displayed online, but aRGB has larger colour gamut...:dunno:

thanks for being patient with me guys
oh sorry i never explain properly.
the main concept is aRGB has larger colour gamut, however, most softwares including I.E cannot display the full gamut since it is not a graphic dedicated software. on the other hand, the manufacturer software, adobe photoshop and other dedicated softwares would be capable to, but still restricted by the monitor resolution.

despite the fact that adobe RGB has larger colour gamut, it becomes duller if the program such as IE is not capable of displaying all of the colours. (think neither here nor there) in contrary, sRGB is like taking a piece out of the big chunk of colours (stronger in red or green) that IE can display, thus it will appear better.

hmmz.. i hope that explains better?
 

EiRiK

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2003
1,234
0
36
North
www.eiriktan.com
rEveRie said:
oh sorry i never explain properly.
the main concept is aRGB has larger colour gamut, however, most softwares including I.E cannot display the full gamut since it is not a graphic dedicated software. on the other hand, the manufacturer software, adobe photoshop and other dedicated softwares would be capable to, but still restricted by the monitor resolution.

despite the fact that adobe RGB has larger colour gamut, it becomes duller if the program such as IE is not capable of displaying all of the colours. (think neither here nor there) in contrary, sRGB is like taking a piece out of the big chunk of colours (stronger in red or green) that IE can display, thus it will appear better.

hmmz.. i hope that explains better?
thanks bro :thumbsup: have a much better idea now

1 more q :sweat: :
does it make a diff whether i send a pix saved as sRGB or aRGB for printing?
 

rEveRie

New Member
Nov 19, 2005
289
0
0
Nikon
www.robbysucipto.com
EiRiK said:
thanks bro :thumbsup: have a much better idea now

1 more q :sweat: :
does it make a diff whether i send a pix saved as sRGB or aRGB for printing?
no worries.
it really depends on whether the printing place uses software that reads aRGB... but I would believe the reputable ones do. perhaps you can ask them, or you can sacrifice by printing 2 versions of the same photo.

so far, aRGB that i sent in seems to be better. ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.