display calibration - too cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
i just invested in a gretagmacbeth display calibrator / huey and did a calibration on my laptop screen after 'warming-up' the screen for an hour.

i find the calibrated display to be too cool and has a green cast. my room's light source is a flourescent tube on the ceiling.

right now, i'm not sure how to work on my photos with the new display. should i use the calibration software to adjust the color to warm setting (instead of neutral) which i find more pleasing? i'm worried that i may overdo the colours of my photos due to the calibration.

any help would be much appreciated.

Did you do the calibration in almost total darkness. It is normal to have a bit of green cast, but it is overwhelming then you might have problem with your Huey. I had the Huey pro and face the same problem. Since then I've switched to Eye One Display 2. No such problem.

Did you do the calibration in almost total darkness. It is normal to have a bit of green cast, but it is overwhelming then you might have problem with your Huey. I had the Huey pro and face the same problem. Since then I've switched to Eye One Display 2. No such problem.

thanks JamesW. i did it with the lights off and enabled the function to 'adjust for ambient light'. so if the green cast is normal, should i adjust the colours on my photos normally or should i take into consideration the of the green cast and go easy with warm tones?

Do try it on another monitor/computer to see if there's a problem with the calibrator.

I had an eyeone display 2 that died on me, caused everything to look horribly wrong.

does it look too cool and greenish in a totally dark room? if so, it might be the room lighting condition...

You can download this test image to check http://www.mediafire.com/?zno1lzxtjxj

Look at the skin tones and grey scales to see if they look natural to you :)

thanks for the test image. the grey scales were off, green cast on everything

Do try it on another monitor/computer to see if there's a problem with the calibrator.

I had an eyeone display 2 that died on me, caused everything to look horribly wrong.

good advice, i've stopped using the calibrator for now.

does it look too cool and greenish in a totally dark room? if so, it might be the room lighting condition...

yes, with the lights off, there was still a green cast.

right now, i've reset my display to factory defaults and used adobe gamma for a monitor colour profile. i'll use another display to check the calibration again. hope its not a calibrator error. thanks for all the advice

this is what looks correct on my display now (using adobe gamma). does it look right on your screens? any colour cast?

thanks

2444787466_3ee7f9ebd8_b.jpg

does Eye One Display 2 causes conflict with ATI Radeon GFX cards? Spyder profiling tools have this issue and I really hate it. :thumbsd:

does Eye One Display 2 causes conflict with ATI Radeon GFX cards? Spyder profiling tools have this issue and I really hate it. :thumbsd:

not aware of this problem but i can hardly find any support for my display calibrator. my laptop's display adaptor is a ATI Radeon integrated adaptor. know any site that discusses this issue?

not aware of this problem but i can hardly find any support for my display calibrator. my laptop's display adaptor is a ATI Radeon integrated adaptor. know any site that discusses this issue?

Just to share some thoughts (I'm using Eye One Display 2 with an ATI X1600):

There's no problem with the ATI drivers, but make sure to prevent CLI.exe from starting up - as if it does, it'll reset your profile, even when it's loaded.

Just to share some thoughts (I'm using Eye One Display 2 with an ATI X1600):

There's no problem with the ATI drivers, but make sure to prevent CLI.exe from starting up - as if it does, it'll reset your profile, even when it's loaded.

thanks, i'll try this out

Look at your display calibrator preference - click on the icon at the taskbar, try chosing warm and see if that is better.

I had a similar problem of a very obvious green cast when using default settings on my spyder2pro. Last time I calibrated I let the colorimeter measure the white and black luminescence points and then go ahead with the calibration. That gave me much better results with absolutely no green cast whatsoever. Your calibrator also might be having some similar options. It also helps if you can adjust the color temperature close to the intended color temperature.

raghu

Status
Not open for further replies.