dismantle dslr camera when put in dry cabinet?

sandbug

Jul 28, 2010
Hi All,
I jus bought a dry cabinet, do I detached lens from camera when I put it in the dry cabinet? If yes, then do i leave caps on or off? Or do i jus chuck the entire camera in the cabinet? Now I've adjusted the RH to be 30, is it ok? Thks all for your advice in advance.
Regards,
Francis

IF you don't find it too troublesome, detach the lens from the body and put the caps on . But if you are like me, very lazy, just chuck the whole thing in the cabinet. No harm

hey bro,

if u have time, u should look thru the forums. your qns have all been ans-ed

anyw, you just put the entire cam into the dry cabi. if the straps are easy to remove, den remove them before putting the cam in. If strap is difficult to remove, then no harm putting the whole cam with strap in too.

However, if u wan to remove the lens, eg your lens too long and cant fit in. Den of course u put on the cam body cap, lens cap etc..cap all properly before put into the dry cabi.

And the effective RH range should b 45%-55% (tts what i read so far)..

First of all, Welcome to CS!! :sweatsm:

Now thats out of the way; for me, after i did my shoots and d/l the pics to my pc, i cleaned the cam and lens, covered them with the caps and leave it in the dry cab separately, ie the body and lens are not attached together. But there are some days like now, its in the dry-cab with battery, sd card and lens attached. So, i am not sure if there is general way how you put your gear in the dry-cab, as long as it is in there. ;)

Also, the recommended RH is between 45% to 55%. 30% might be a bit too dry.

Cheers! :D

I jus bought a dry cabinet, do I detached lens from camera when I put it in the dry cabinet? If yes, then do i leave caps on or off? Or do i jus chuck the entire camera in the cabinet? Now I've adjusted the RH to be 30, is it ok?
Browsing through the Newbies Section instead of dropping a post could have given you the answers already.
If you dismantle your camera the warranty will be void. Feel free to detach the lens or leave it on. It simply doesn't matter at all. Caps on, caps off .. whatever you like. The recommended humidity setting for storage is mentioned in your manual and more hundred times here in the forum. Enjoy reading. When asking such questions, this forum works in self-service mode, not like an information counter.

Hi All,
I jus bought a dry cabinet, do I detached lens from camera when I put it in the dry cabinet? If yes, then do i leave caps on or off? Or do i jus chuck the entire camera in the cabinet? Now I've adjusted the RH to be 30, is it ok? Thks all for your advice in advance.
Regards,
Francis

It is best to keep RH at around 40-55%. 30% is slightly low and may cause some types of lubricants or seals to dry up. It may also cause some kinds of PVC or rubber to crack and flake. Thing is, my dad's dry cab has been on 30% for the longest time (more than 15 years, around 20 I think). And we have yet to see any problems in any of his equipment.

And to the other part of your question: It really doesn't matter if you detach the lenses from the body or not. Shouldn't make a different whatsoever. I personally also do not think removing the strap makes a difference. Just remember to put the body and lens caps on if you do detach the lens from the body.

Last edited:
as long there is enough space, you don't have to dismount the lens from your camera to store in dry cabinet, and don't have to dismount the lens from your camera to store in your camera bag.

lens face up, face down or lying side way doesn't really matter,
camera standing up, lying side way, face down or face up doesn't really matter, as long they are place in a stable position and easy for you to reach.

don't have to remove front/rear lens cap, or body cap when you store camera and lenses in your dry cabinet, the camera/lens are no air tight with caps on.

your camera and lens are not your investment, the moment your paid and walk out the camera stores, they already start depreciation. They are just tools, for you to use them create images. And they are not make of tofu, so just give them reasonable care and enjoy your new hobby.

Hope this help.

Thk u all, really appreciate all yr advice!

Hi All,
Regards,
Francis

hi i set my dry cabi between 45-55.. i think too dry the rubbers on ur body or lens etc etc might become dry and crack. for me, i cap up everything and separate body and lens. not a pro but hope it helps.

Is it true that fungus will start growing within weeks being kept in bag or my drawer? :S sounds so scary.

hi i set my dry cabi between 45-55.. i think too dry the rubbers on ur body or lens etc etc might become dry and crack. for me, i cap up everything and separate body and lens. not a pro but hope it helps.

Bro you're behind time liao. It's silicon rubber. It's synthetic and will not dry or crack. Manufacturers are moving away from natural rubber. :cool: