disguising your camera..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheese

Jan 25, 2004
just want to ask how many photographers actually tone down the appearance of their expensive looking cameras when they go overseas (esp to cities notorious for snatch thieves) and how they do it.

using a non-branded and un-camera looking bag certainly helps but what can you do when you have to bring the cam out of it to shoot? Do you stick all kinds of tape on it to give it a broken-but-still-breathing look, etc? :sweat:

Eh before anybody replies, no mentioning of the Bah Zhang here ok? :nono:

:bsmilie:

Personally, I'll tape over the logos & tell tale signs. :)

I do that when i travel, just use normal cloth/duct tape will do.

Studies show that taped-up cameras run a 35% higher risk of being stolen than non-taped-up cameras, because thieves now recognise that taped-up cameras tend to be more valuable ones.

Other studies also revealed that 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Wah seh.....
I can learn all sort of things in this forum......
It never occur to me that I would disguise my camera when travelling......
But i do wonder now if it is really necessary.... hmmm......

i agree with the camera bag thing..... just bring a lousier bag or if not haversack loh....that will do the job~

StreetShooter said:
Studies show that taped-up cameras run a 35% higher risk of being stolen than non-taped-up cameras, because thieves now recognise that taped-up cameras tend to be more valuable ones.

Other studies also revealed that 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

This reminds me of camou for snipers... given today's easy access (and not to mention cheap) to the internet, wouldn't it be easy for snatch thieves who target camera owners to surf for information on such tricks and also to identify pricey cameras?

From my travel experience, don't need to tape up your cams. Like SS said, taping it up could be worse. Just telling people you're disguising gold beneath the black tapes!

My theory is simple.... If thieves want to rob you when you are overseas, they don't give a hoot whether you're carrying a $200 point and shoot or $10,000 DSLR with f/2.8 lens. Or if your wallet contains just 20 Euros. They'll just rob you!

Bottom line is to be alert where you're going and avoid unknown or dangerous places.

I guess travel guides will provide you have lots of information with regards to the country that you will be visiting. Most important is to be mentally prepared and be observant of your enviroment. The more you try to cover your equipment, the more appealing to thieves. Dont be surprise that a 5 year old kid is a professional pickpocket. ;)

Adrian said:
I guess travel guides will provide you have lots of information with regards to the country that you will be visiting. Most important is to be mentally prepared and be observant of your enviroment. The more you try to cover your equipment, the more appealing to thieves. Dont be surprise that a 5 year old kid is a professional pickpocket. ;)
especially when travelling to the stereotypical countries like Brazil and Columbia...

I usually keep the cam in my trusty old smelly deuter backpack when roaming in unfamiliar places when not taking pics. :bsmilie:

I also never used original cam straps with the words "steal me" written on it.

Always blend with the crowd. I dun make myself look "expensive".

Carry a monopod (yet to try out)...and you'll know when to use it effectively. ;)

some one i know gaffared his 1ds and white l lens till it's looked bandaged up. i thought he was ashamed being seen using with this brand of camera/lens.

cheese said:
just want to ask how many photographers actually tone down the appearance of their expensive looking cameras when they go overseas (esp to cities notorious for snatch thieves) and how they do it.

using a non-branded and un-camera looking bag certainly helps but what can you do when you have to bring the cam out of it to shoot? Do you stick all kinds of tape on it to give it a broken-but-still-breathing look, etc? :sweat:

Wai said:
but usually cover few hundreds only rite....where got enough to pay for camera equipments that worth 10 times more :dunno:

Travel insurance for abt $65, depend on which country & number of days.
Cover up to $5000($500 per items). I just got mine for my oncoming trip. Better than nothing.

evq said:
Travel insurance for abt $65, depend on which country & number of days.
Cover up to $5000($500 per items). I just got mine for my oncoming trip. Better than nothing.

That's right..only $500 per item, think i will just bring a P&S if i have to go places that have high chance of snatch thief

Status
Not open for further replies.