Discussion: Travelling in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi guys

I will be going for a trip this coming December. I've done my homework and the places I will be going ranges from -2 degree celcius to say 10 degree celcius on average.

I will be covering places such as Switzerland, Rome, London, Germany, Austria and Liecheststein.

My question to the brothers who've been to these countries in that kind of climate:

1) With gloves, how do you guys shoot efficiently? Is it very troublesome to take off glove, shoot, wear back glove? Handling of the DSLR is also very much restricted with the glove.

2) In view of the above qs, do you all just leave all ur stuff at home and just bring a PNS?

3) In terms of camera bag(sling type), do you sling your bag, wear your jacket and leave the hotel? Or do you wear your jacket with the bag outside? My concern is the extreme weather + snow would affect the mechanism of the D80. By the way, I am carrying a crumpler 7 million dollar home.

Just want to learn more from you guys here before I go on my holiday.

Thank you in advance for your reply.:)

Hi guys

I will be going for a trip this coming December. I've done my homework and the places I will be going ranges from -2 degree celcius to say 10 degree celcius on average.

I will be covering places such as Switzerland, Rome, London, Germany, Austria and Liecheststein.

My question to the brothers who've been to these countries in that kind of climate:

1) With gloves, how do you guys shoot efficiently? Is it very troublesome to take off glove, shoot, wear back glove? Handling of the DSLR is also very much restricted with the glove.

2) In view of the above qs, do you all just leave all ur stuff at home and just bring a PNS?

3) In terms of camera bag(sling type), do you sling your bag, wear your jacket and leave the hotel? Or do you wear your jacket with the bag outside? My concern is the extreme weather + snow would affect the mechanism of the D80. By the way, I am carrying a crumpler 7 million dollar home.

Just want to learn more from you guys here before I go on my holiday.

Thank you in advance for your reply.:)

1) For Gloves, I got those that has open fingertips type, so that I can handle the camera buttons.

2) I bring one prime and a walking lens

3) I sling my bag, then wear my winter coat, since most of the time once I am indoor, i take out my winter coat. Also, slinging it inside my winter coat, feel sort of safer for my camera. I have 5million and it works ok.

Canon survived, so I think Nikon will too =)
The people there do take DSLR shots and low humidity during Winter helps!

Enjoy your trip!

1) For Gloves, I got those that has open fingertips type, so that I can handle the camera buttons.

3) I sling my bag, then wear my winter coat, since most of the time once I am indoor, i take out my winter coat. Also, slinging it inside my winter coat, feel sort of safer for my camera. I have 5million and it works ok.

Enjoy your trip!

First of all, thanks pixie for your advice.

For those gloves that has open fingertips type, are you referring to those army kind of gloves we used to do chin-up with? Would that kind of glove be sufficient to warm our fingers? :dunno: Im not sure because I understand from my colleagues who went to New Zealand in Winter, he was freezing there as his gloves were inadequate and he bought 1 there immediately when he saw a good pair of gloves.

With regards to your slinging of the crumpler inside your jacket, would there be alot of movement restriction since you'll be walking around quite alot. I mean, its like 1 big bulge inside your jacket. :bsmilie: if you get what I mean. Would it hinder movement alot? When you sit down too, I think alot of inconvenience hor? Sorry for my barage of questions, first time holidaying in Winter.

Enjoy your trip!

consolation for you...

My D80 survived and worked really well at 4.800m at the Glarcia mountain of Sichuan..:sweatsm:

consolation for you...

My D80 survived and worked really well at 4.800m at the Glarcia mountain of Sichuan..:sweatsm:

:) :thumbsup:

Care to share your experience with regards to:

1) Gloves used
2) Ways of carrying bag
3) The convenience/inconvenience of wearing gloves and operating a DSLR?

:) :thumbsup:

Care to share your experience with regards to:

1) Gloves used
2) Ways of carrying bag
3) The convenience/inconvenience of wearing gloves and operating a DSLR?

I borrow a fingerless glove from friend...it is convenient...but your fingers will get very cold/dumb after a while... if wanna play cheat...use a small heatpack and put in pocket (oso warm body)..when gets too cold, stick your hands in the pocket and "de-frost"..:)

i a bit kaisu- i brought a D80 and a 18-200mm, i use superhuge rover plus aw (which i use to carry everything on board of plane)...and like a backpacker, carry on the back....use to block cold winds on my back too....(i can throw in extra warm hat, warm scarf, tissue, towel, poncho..kana snow must siam in mountain)...etc..

convenience of a fingerless, u feel the shutter...
and even sometimes, i very gung-ho.. i took out my right hand gloves..;p (of course, cold liao, stick my hands into my pocket with the small headpack).. cos not every moment u take pics..:sweatsm:

1) If i use woollen gloves,i'll peel off the right glove with my teeth when i need to press the shuttle. Damn troublesome!

2) If u want a good grip w/o removing ur glove, get a fitting leather glove but do note that it still hamper ur finger movements a little.

3) I carry my bag like how i normally carry. At crowded places, i'll carry my backpack the reverse way i.e. carry it in front n slingbag with the opening flap facing in. During winter,cos of thick clothings,u r not able to feel it if ppl remove stuff from ur jacket's side pockets so do take note of that. :)

Last edited:
First of all, thanks pixie for your advice.

For those gloves that has open fingertips type, are you referring to those army kind of gloves we used to do chin-up with? Would that kind of glove be sufficient to warm our fingers? :dunno: Im not sure because I understand from my colleagues who went to New Zealand in Winter, he was freezing there as his gloves were inadequate and he bought 1 there immediately when he saw a good pair of gloves.

With regards to your slinging of the crumpler inside your jacket, would there be alot of movement restriction since you'll be walking around quite alot. I mean, its like 1 big bulge inside your jacket. :bsmilie: if you get what I mean. Would it hinder movement alot? When you sit down too, I think alot of inconvenience hor? Sorry for my barage of questions, first time holidaying in Winter.

Eh, i dont go for NS so I am not sure what it is like for the chin-up type =X
PM you on the picture instead later. =)

Slinging of the crumpler wont have much of a problem for me so far.Probably cos I am a 5mh and urs a 7? But then again,you are a guy so should be ok wor. :bsmilie:
Backpack might not be good cos the winter coat is too huge.

1. for gloves, i'd suggest 3M thinsulate material gloves, thin enough to feel your camera.

2. planning to buy a small top loader to sling inside the jacket, this also keeps the batteries warm

3. cold but can feel the shutter (later numb also cannot feel anything) or warm and feel just enough

Last edited:
1) Gloves have been discussed here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412455
If you can't decide between closed or open fingertip gloves, you might find the example I gave in that thread useful... though you'd have to DIY a bit. Frankly, I'm not much of a gloves person, I prefer to just stick my hands in my pockets. If you wear full gloves, you could also consider attaching a string to it that can go around your wrist, so when you pull the glove off it'll just dangle from your wrist and you don't have to worry about dropping it. A bit like the Wii controllers, if you know what I mean...

2) Stick to using your favorite walkabout lens, so you don't have to change lens too much (if you think it's too troublesome in the cold)

3) Wear your bag outside. If you're not sure about taking your gloves off to take a picture, what makes you think you'd be willing to open up your jacket just to access your camera and accessories??! Don't think the cold is enough to give your gear any problems, just keep the spare batteries separately and close to your body to keep them warm.

Thanks for all ur suggestions.

Guess I'll find a glove that is warm and hopefully wont restrict my movements too much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.