Discussion thread for Newbies Outing #16, Aug 24 evening

For the young MGohxzc (Hope I got that right)

If you want to organize an outing, let me know. I can arrange the logistics for you, but you will be the MC of the shoot. You may specify the number of slots you wish to limit the outing to, and I can help you take care of the rest.

All you have to do, is just turn up on that day, shoot, mingle and chit-chat :)

Cheers!

PS: I suppose you prefer to do it after your exams, so you can have more time to concentrate on your studies.

Last edited:
Threads merged for convenience.

Got vista to shoot, will turn up nonetheless! Just hope can reach to the top of the bridge ... lol!

With us all shooting from the bridge, hope no one will be wearing white top, dark blue bottom! Might scare the drivers below!

Yeah... note to all:
refrain from carrying shiny/reflective stuff, coz if you move about and the thing reflects headlights, you might dazzle the drivers... their safety comes first.
Also be careful on that day that your tripods, after setting up, still allows people to walk past fairly easily. i.e. don't set up staggered and block the free passage. The bridge isn't very wide.

No prob! Meet at what time?

Erm... 6.30 - 6.40PM there? Maybe can go have dinner first or sth to eat before we go down?

Recommend get something light first, cos after that, we'll head to a zi char stall for food (eating and food photography too! so it's a 2 shoot in 1)!

Cheers :)

Earliest I can reach is abt 6.40. ZCA say having dinner together after the shoot? You want eat 2X dinner ar? Haha

Recommend get something light first, cos after that, we'll head to a zi char stall for food (eating and food photography too! so it's a 2 shoot in 1)!

Cheers :)

Earliest I can reach is abt 6.40. ZCA say having dinner together after the shoot? You want eat 2X dinner ar? Haha

Err.. I was thinking sth light. Like bread or sth.. nt tt kinda of super filling de =/
Cause i got a feeling my stomach will start to roar during shooting.. :think:

Sure Np. I will take my own sweet time to get out of my office. You leave office liao sms me lor. I PM you my no. :devil:

Err.. I was thinking sth light. Like bread or sth.. nt tt kinda of super filling de =/
Cause i got a feeling my stomach will start to roar during shooting.. :think:

Sure Np. I will take my own sweet time to get out of my office. You leave office liao sms me lor. I PM you my no. :devil:

I think i can meet up as well. Earliest i can reach is around 6.30-6.40.

Yeah... note to all:
refrain from carrying shiny/reflective stuff, coz if you move about and the thing reflects headlights, you might dazzle the drivers... their safety comes first.
Also be careful on that day that your tripods, after setting up, still allows people to walk past fairly easily. i.e. don't set up staggered and block the free passage. The bridge isn't very wide.

OK thanks for the advise. I dunno if can come as Hollow Man shooter but will try.

::edit:: confirm cannot come for shoot already as I have to be at hotel for discussion with TWP of events of AD.

Last edited:
With flash swtiched off, would there still be AF assist beam? Just confused.

Yes, it's two different functions. I assume you are talking about AF assist beam from the camera, which can be found from menu. Are you using Canon or Nikon? Best check your camera manual if unsure.

Yes, it's two different functions. I assume you are talking about AF assist beam from the camera, which can be found from menu. Are you using Canon or Nikon? Best check your camera manual if unsure.

Thanks for bring my qns to the proper thread.

Using canon and my understanding is the AF assist focus beam will not be available if flash (build-in or external) is switched off. Hence was kind of confused and would like to verify when I read the advice to disable AF beam since already advised not to use flash. Or is it other brands AF assist beam still function with flash off? ;)

BTW, I'm not in your outing but just curious.:D

Last edited:

Using canon and my understanding is the AF assist focus beam will not be available if flash (build-in or external) is switched off. Hence was kind of confused and would like to verify when I read the advice to disable AF beam since already advised not to use flash. Or is it other brands AF assist beam still function with flash off? ;)

Dunno about Canon but both systems that I've used (Panasonic and Nikon) require manual from-the-menu switching on/off of the AF assist beam. I don't use flash normally but I do turn on the AF assist sometimes.

My understanding is Nikon DSLR use AF focus beam, where Canon DSLR use pre-flash assist. :)

My understanding is Nikon DSLR use AF focus beam, where Canon DSLR use pre-flash assist. :)

Both Nikon and Canon also call it AF assist beam.

Pre-flash and AF assist beam are 2 different things. AF assist beam is to assist in focusing in low light. Pre-flash is for flash metering.;)

For Canon user you may disable the AF-assist beam firing at C.FnIII:

xsi_custom_menu_anim.gif

Custom Fuction
C. Fn III: Auto focus/Drive - AF-assist beam firing<: Enable, Disable or Only external flash emits