Discussion on word "len"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurblock

May 30, 2003
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
FRANK CHEN said:
Hi! everyone,need advice should i send my len to clean?
I have a len which has no dust & fungus, but there is a strand of hair stuck inside.

Will that affect the pictures quality?? Some shops told me need to clean and some said not neccessary.

Is there anyone has such problem with the len?

Thanks

Will like to know ..... what is a len?

Sorry for being off-topic. Blurblock means to say that there is no such thing as a "len". :bsmilie:

The singular form is "lens". Plural is "lenses".

dunno leh, i cant find "lense" in my dictionary and I'm hokkien peng so i dunno but very interested to find out. anyone like to verify "len" and "lense" or "lenses"?

whoelse said:
dunno leh, i cant find "lense" in my dictionary and I'm hokkien peng so i dunno but very interested to find out. anyone like to verify "len" and "lense" or "lenses"?

Actually, you can find the word "lense" in an American Dictionary (Merriam-Webster Dictionary), listed as a Variant of the word "Lens".

Lenses is the plural form for Lens, Lenses is also known as Compound Lens.

"Len" (Pronouned as Leon) however is a historical region and former kingdom of northwest Spain. United first with Asturias (eighth-ninth century), it was conquered by Castile in 1037, became independent in 1157, and was rejoined with Castile in 1230. Thus it is highly possible a Spain region be covered with fungus and dust .... to clean it, however, requires a lot of cleaners :bsmilie: .

So, in pure english is there a word "lense"? Is it possible that "Len" is british english?
Chim...too much for hokkien peng.

blurblock said:
Actually, you can find the word "lense" in an American Dictionary (Merriam-Webster Dictionary), listed as a Variant of the word "Lens".

Lenses is the plural form for Lens, Lenses is also known as Compound Lens.

"Len" (Pronouned as Leon) however is a historical region and former kingdom of northwest Spain. United first with Asturias (eighth-ninth century), it was conquered by Castile in 1037, became independent in 1157, and was rejoined with Castile in 1230. Thus it is highly possible a Spain region be covered with fungus and dust .... to clean it, however, requires a lot of cleaners :bsmilie: .

whoelse said:
So, in pure english is there a word "lense"? Is it possible that "Len" is british english?
Chim...too much for hokkien peng.

In pure English, it is lens. The word "Lense" can only be found in an American dictionary as a Variant, not even a standard word, just like the word "irregardless" .... where there is no such word as irregardless, but in an American dictionary, it is recorded as a variant. Basically, the corpus used by the English to create the dictionaries does not have the words. The Corpus used by the American does.

Len is definately not British / American / Australian English, at least not I know of ;P.

orrr i see.
but why all my book about photography use len and not lense? soli ah, i very stupid one.

blurblock said:
Simi book use len?

Si hor, they use lens hor not len. So len is 1 piece of optic? A group call lens lah, we mount lens (or lense) to our slr even 1 lens tio-boh? cos cannot shoot 1 piece of len like contact len tio boh?

whoelse said:
Si hor, they use lens hor not len. So len is 1 piece of optic? A group call lens lah, we mount lens (or lense) to our slr even 1 lens tio-boh? cos cannot shoot 1 piece of len like contact len tio boh?

Act chilli ...... 1 piece of glass also call lens ..... optic is bark ciu (eye) lah ..... optics is study of light lah ...... hahaha ......

Anyway, did you see this offer on Ebay :D ...... wanna try for it?

http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=3877121271

1 x Zenit 122 (but shutter is a bit spoild)
1 x 1000mm f/10 (from the pics, looks like a Rubinar Type 1
1 x 100mm f/2.8
1 x 20mm f/2.5

currently standing at Euro 61 or $131SGD :D.......

Walao, england. dun make me suffer lah. I head spin liao. maybe call tua-leng-kong easier then len..er lens. somemore like this i gotta type in chinese next time.

u whack 1st lah.

blurblock said:
Act chilli ...... 1 piece of glass also call lens ..... optic is bark ciu (eye) lah ..... optics is study of light lah ...... hahaha ......

Anyway, did you see this offer on Ebay :D ...... wanna try for it?

http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=3877121271

1 x Zenit 122 (but shutter is a bit spoild)
1 x 1000mm f/10 (from the pics, looks like a Rubinar Type 1
1 x 100mm f/2.8
1 x 20mm f/2.5

currently standing at Euro 61 or $131SGD :D.......

whoelse said:
Walao, england. dun make me suffer lah. I head spin liao. maybe call tua-leng-kong easier then len..er lens. somemore like this i gotta type in chinese next time.

u whack 1st lah.

tat one from italy lah (ji dua liap) ....... $131 only hor .....

len is a function in a few languages, that returns the length of a word by the number of characters in it.

This one lah, then go CBD shoot landscape.
-
eb_1_b.JPG

-
Tair-3 is also one of the award winning lens of Grandprix Brussell 1958.

espn said:
len is a function in a few languages, that returns the length of a word by the number of characters in it.

please specify computer languages ........ human do not returns the length of a word when you say len to someone ;P

whoelse said:
This one lah, then go CBD shoot landscape.
-
eb_1_b.JPG

-
Tair-3 is also one of the award winning lens of Grandprix Brussell 1958.

aiyah ..... sniper 122 .... got version 2 already lah ..... but then Ebay selling the sniper more expensively then rugift.... might as well get it from rugift ;D

So folks, in conclusion, based on info here

Singular: "lens" (British/American) or "lense" (American)
(imo, lens is more correct, but lense appears to be accepted in some circles as a variant as mentioned by blurblock).

Plural: "lenses"

Please do not ever ever use len :bsmilie:
Don't think any of us mean to be the language police, but if you want to talk photography, at least get the basic terms correct :sweatsm:

len len len len len len len len

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.