Discussion: gear vs photo

which do you love more?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
was just thinking....how many people here actually like their gear's more than they like their photos?

for me, i dun really give two hoots about the condition of my gear so long as they produce the images that i want to make.....thus, i love the photos that i create abit more than my gear (though i'm thankful for the fact that the gear is the medium that created my images)

But at the end of the day, i'd still say i love my photos more, what about you?:dunno:

for me.
#1 photos
#2 money
#3 gear

I believe all are related
got nice(salable) photos, have money
got money, buy better gear.

but I know lot of people think this way:
got money, get better gears
got better gears, hope to have better photos.
than hope to have more money.....

so most of the time still at the stage of hoping....

Another point to note ... sometimes gears do breakdown - no matter how we treasure them.

So ..

Gear cannot survive without $$$ to produce the images you love once its broken down :p

got GF must love her more lah... as for the photos/gear part its kinda hard to decide. Granted i could take some of the shots with a PnS, having the gear makes the job simpler. I guess in the end its the pics that count.

People who love photography because they love their gear more than anything else are really sad characters.

No doubt the tool is an important part of the image-making process, but having top-notch gear isn't the be-all and end-all for everything in photography. I also love my gear a lot, because I like to see how much I can push the envelope with my cheapo gear.

Check Ken Rockwell's "The Seven Levels of Photographers ".

People who love photography because they love their gear more than anything else are really sad characters.

gear and photos are 2 different things. of cos good lens produces technically good pictures but the art of it must come thru practise and talent.

i buy good lens cos i think they are nice, not becos i think i need them to produce good pictures.

of cos in times of need, a 35/2 at 5/6 produces cornet to corner sharpness and nice colour that my 17-70 kit lens cannot match.

i openly admit my photos sucks but i love my gear!!:bsmilie:

Gear's important, but I wun pay so much attention to it that it eventually gets in my way of taking photos or getting inspiration. The usual standard protection of camera bag (naturally), dry box (yes, mine's all in dry box), blower and sensor swab liquid + Pec*Pads and that's abt it.

Gear enables & assists u in a photo, but the output which would stand up to the scrutiny of others would be ur photo and NOT YOUR GEAR.

my gears are as important as my final output.
Agree, this is especially true in demanding photography subjects such as sports and wildlife photography, you need top end gear to help you achieve the shots more easily.

But agree also with jsbn that gear should not get in the way of your taking photos, in fact one should practice until the gear becomes like a natural extension of one's senses, working as one with your brain, eyes, hands, body.

Gear's important, but I wun pay so much attention to it that it eventually gets in my way of taking photos or getting inspiration. The usual standard protection of camera bag (naturally), dry box (yes, mine's all in dry box), blower and sensor swab liquid + Pec*Pads and that's abt it.

Gear enables & assists u in a photo, but the output which would stand up to the scrutiny of others would be ur photo and NOT YOUR GEAR.
was really hoping that someone will say that.....at the end of the day...people should judge photographers with their images, not their gear.....

anyway...regarding std's of protection...when i'm lazy these days..i juz dump my camera into my normal slingbag...non padded and all :D hahaha

I alway think gears are the tool to produce photo, (if I have money) I can buy better gear, but that doesn't mean I will produce better photos. But some appealing photos however do require some specific (more high end) gear to produce :sweat:

I think however if this is an anonymous poll, it will give a more accurate result.

I tend to love the picture more than my camera... I dare to abuse my camera to get the picture I want even if it endangers the "life" of my camera....

I treat my gear with extra care because I'm only a student and I need to get the most out of my gear to get my pictures. No gear = no pictures. So at the end of the day I rather miss one or two "kodak moments" and have my gear intact rather than rush and have an accident or something and then miss a whole year's worth of kodak moments while saving up to buy another piece of equipment. :)

I'll be honest about this, and I care for my gear more than I love my photos because my photos are not up to standard. My aim is to ensure that I get as much time and practice with photography as possible in order to reach a stage where I love my photos a lot more than I care about my gear. In the meantime I have to ensure that my gear lasts long enough to allow this to happen. :bsmilie:

Gears are irrevelent if they cannot produce what I want!

I love my gear because they create the photos I love.....:D

I love my photos, those are the things I like to display, to show, to share.
Photos are those that represent the photographers...
Often, when I talked to those unfamilar with photographers, they are in awe of the big lens and big SLR, but its the photo that place everyone on the common grd, on the same line, and everyone can appreciate, and enjoy it.

i.e. "Wah, very pro camera leh" is standard.
but "Wah, nice photos" always make me feel better....:embrass:

Having said that, chinese got one saying; "Wanna do something good, you must first have sharp tools".
So my gears are always important in that sense... always.
Then again, my hands, my eyes, creativity is important too lar...:sweat:
Photos lost, you can never get back the same shot, but you can create better ones, if u still have the tools, and abilities.

i :heart: my gear!

1) my gear is good but my photos are lousy
2) my gear can sell, but my photos no one buy
3) when i press this button on my gear, more and better pictures appear (wah it rhymes)... but no matter how much i press my photos, no gear come out leh... :angry:

(hehe, this poll quite cute. how many gearheads know and would admit that they're gearheads? everyone give model answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.