[Discussion] Freelance Event's Photographer (Children Graduation Concert)

tanslr

Feb 8, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Moderation note: This thread was created from the posts moved out from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1630098

Please continue the discussion here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$200 for 800 edited images?? What do you think the photog is? Cheap robotic slave?? Come on... Be reasonable..!even if it's a children graduation ceremony, it is still effort on the photographer to take the pictures.. U want 800 edited images??? Why don't you try and take that many and edit it yourself.. And do the mathematics on effort versus cost versus reasonableness (is there such a word?)

I am curious, why do you need 800 images???

Gosh...

Last edited:
TS you need to know that there's only that much moments you can capture in one event and 800 simply isn't practical. It's possible but not practical. Photographers can give you shots that look identical and has no defining moments to fulfill your 800 shots quota. I can even give you 2k photos if that's what you want. But is that what you really want? 800 shots whereby half of them doesn't bring a smile to you. As an event photographer i do culling and select the best photos out of all for you so you don't have to do it. It's what you pay me for so just let me do it... Regarding your budget, take note that apart from the actual day shooting, the photographer have to spend time to sieve and edit through all the photos and that will take longer than the shooting process itself. So a 2-3 hour shoot may become 5-6 hour process and effectively you're paying them 15-20 dollars an hour for a professional photography that don't justifies his professionalism. Maybe you're totally unaware of our practices so let's give you the benefit of the doubt. Cheers.

Pls lar .. what doubt .. he pays $30/hr but likely to charge few hundreds to the school. Its plain exploitation to me

Hmmm... Just curious, received 26 photographers apply for the post.

Hahaha, as we all know... There will be carrot heads that will apply to your ridiculous offer. That's why such dishonest people like you will continue to post such jobs in CS.

No surprise there, there will be photographers at every price point offered. But maybe, just maybe you won't be that curious anymore when you see the photos :p 26 photographers but that may be your last time working with that client. 你开心就好。

Wake up leh
It is an open market. If there is supply, there will be demand. No one is bigger than the market. Market will adjust by itself.
If one cannot find way to work out and survive, don't complain .
No one want low pay job but sometime it has no choice . When you are hungry, you will do anything for your survival.
For example, someone lose job recently and he need immediate income. He has camera and shoot before. He will take even less than $200.

If you talk about quality, it is the job of pay master . He will take calculative risk based on his experience.

Instead of talking bad which will not change thing, learn skill how to Survive. There r many jobs willing to pay a few hundreds per hour. If you cannot get, just learn that you still have plenty to learn rather than wasting time here and giving negative comment.

Wake up leh
It is an open market. If there is supply, there will be demand. No one is bigger than the market. Market will adjust by itself.
If one cannot find way to work out and survive, don't complain .
No one want low pay job but sometime it has no choice . When you are hungry, you will do anything for your survival.
For example, someone lose job recently and he need immediate income. He has camera and shoot before. He will take even less than $200.

If you talk about quality, it is the job of pay master . He will take calculative risk based on his experience.

Instead of talking bad which will not change thing, learn skill how to Survive. There r many jobs willing to pay a few hundreds per hour. If you cannot get, just learn that you still have plenty to learn rather than wasting time here and giving negative comment.

It's shithead like you that continuously have people that post such lowball posts. You must be one of the dishonest business that charge client high amount and cheat fellow photogs with longkang rates.

And yes, you WAKEUP. You can't see white and black in such poor ethics than you must be blind both in eyes and your heart

Some rascal will surely jump in at some point of time and trying to be a good fellow to the exploitator by justifying the supply and demand thingy, open market, blah blah bla. My good guest is he don't need to shoot for survival.

This is a reality. Everyone make adjustment based on reality .
Not just photography , it is everywhere.
It is a choice whether to wake up and take action.

20++ of these interested photographers were sent by a group of hobby photographers targeting these lowballers. They look like legit interest but on shoot day, they will do crazy things to mess it up purposely. They got nothing to lose but they just want to punish people like you. They were paid by an secret group of people protecting the creative industry, from photography to video, to music, to design work.

This is a reality. Everyone make adjustment based on reality .
Not just photography , it is everywhere.
It is a choice whether to wake up and take action.

So you woke up and start kissing butts? Yeah make it work. Your mouth stinks from too much butt licking.

Got another 12 apply for the post.

Let me put my point clear.
1. I will give chances to beginners rather than those claims to be professional but can't deliver. Charging sky high charges but refused to produce and listen to the requirement.
2. I didn't mention that I need "Professional Photographer" to do the job. Please do not be so excited. Why? I have very bad experience with those claimed to be professional. Just too bad, there are many black sheep around to tarnished the name "Professional"
3. This is an open market. If you felt that you worth more that and able to prove that you can deliver, send in your rates and prove me wrong.

20++ of these interested photographers were sent by a group of hobby photographers targeting these lowballers. They look like legit interest but on shoot day, they will do crazy things to mess it up purposely. They got nothing to lose but they just want to punish people like you. They were paid by an secret group of people protecting the creative industry, from photography to video, to music, to design work.

:bsmilie:
People like you?

Got another 12 apply for the post. Let me put my point clear. 1. I will give chances to beginners rather than those claims to be professional but can't deliver. Charging sky high charges but refused to produce and listen to the requirement. 2. I didn't mention that I need "Professional Photographer" to do the job. Please do not be so excited. Why? I have very bad experience with those claimed to be professional. Just too bad, there are many black sheep around to tarnished the name "Professional" 3. This is an open market. If you felt that you worth more that and able to prove that you can deliver, send in your rates and prove me wrong.

1) First of all does your client know that you're sending beginners to shoot their project? Are you charging the clients a reasonable 'beginner' price? Probably not and i reckon giving chances to beginner is an euphemism for charging high prices to client on one end and cutting costs to hire cheap photographers?

2) You're exposing yourself to sending 'non-professional photographers' to do paid assignment, how are you going to survive as the middleman? You're essentially shooting yourself in the foot. Your bad experiences prolly came from your lowball price tag attached to find your so called 'professionals'. And how is it logical to lower your standards to look for beginners when your experiences with 'professionals' go sour? You seem like you don't what you're spouting. Or is it because you don't know how to seek out the real pros? Are you a new bird in this business? Never see someone make such illogical decisions.

3) No need to prove you wrong, you won't survive in this open market for long. Your clients will prolly be short-term ones.

2cents.

Why even say so much. In every business there will be unscrupulous middlemen exploiting the poor souls like those who applied. Do you all honestly think the TS of the services wanted ad will care?

Sad world.

That is enough!

Doing photography as a living is not easy, so all the more we photographers need to be united regardless our philosophy to life, education background, and photography skills.

so we may able to put food on the table for our family, serve our customers with pride and integrity, and to fulfil the dreams in our live.

if we fight among others, nobody is a winner.

do business nowadays is facing many challenges, more so as today's economy is not promising.

two major issues on consumer base photography services now, I like all of you to think about it;

#1, photography services is a luxury items, be it children photos, family photos or wedding photos. Nobody is willing to spend more on this when everybody is tightening their belts.

#2, what photographers can do now, any Tom Dick Harry, Ah Beng Ah Seng, Ah Huay Ah Lian also able to do it, so what makes you think people still wiling to hire you as photographer to do it for them?

we photographers are like fishes, used to swim in a big pond (consumer market), there is so much space and food is plenty, we are very happy and we don't flight at all.
but nowadays the pond is shrinking so much and become a small puddle, we have to flight for space, food, air and water.

This is the situation we are in now, is tough, you can keep fighting till exhausted and sink under the pool, or stay put and hope others will die fast, or venture out and find a bigger pool, or evolve into another species.

I leave it up to you to think of a way out.

FYI, did a little digging.

TS is no newbie, probably he shoots longer than most people here.

I know many of photographers like him, shooting the same things same style for many years.

Nothing wrong with that, but just sad.

Reactions: sjackal