Discussion: Experiences with wide angle lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanbloodbane

Mar 18, 2002
Any one here like to share his/her experiences with wide angle lens (14 - 18mm, F mount)?

I might be getting one to compliment the Fuji S1 and would like to hear your view.

Originally posted by cyanbloodbane
Any one here like to share his/her experiences with wide angle lens (14 - 18mm, F mount)?

I might be getting one to compliment the Fuji S1 and would like to her your view.

I am using a Nikkor AF 20mm f2.8D on my F100. Great lens, sharp images and very low distortion.

Regards
CK

I might be getting one to compliment the Fuji S1 and would like to her your view.

The 14mm Tamron is an excellent value for money lens, first off it's about 1/2 the cost of the genuine Nikkor 14mm and the performance of the Tamron is awsome. I prefer it to the Sigma. It will be around the film equivalent of a 21mm on the S1 body.

The Tokina 16mm is excellent too, but I rate the 14mm Tamron as a better lens.

Avoid the 15mm and 18mm Nikkors, they are horribly expensive and frankly not that impressive. A 17-35/2.8 AFS is lovely if you can afford it.

Originally posted by Ian

The 14mm Tamron is an excellent value for money lens, first off it's about 1/2 the cost of the genuine Nikkor 14mm and the performance of the Tamron is awsome. I prefer it to the Sigma. It will be around the film equivalent of a 21mm on the S1 body.

The Tokina 16mm is excellent too, but I rate the 14mm Tamron as a better lens.

Avoid the 15mm and 18mm Nikkors, they are horribly expensive and frankly not that impressive. A 17-35/2.8 AFS is lovely if you can afford it.

Thanks Ian, that has been most helpful. unfortunately, S1 doesnt support AFS nor HSM and its way out of my budget anyway.

The Sigma has a bad rep.

Looks like it between the Tokina and the Tamron.

Originally posted by ckiang

I am using a Nikkor AF 20mm f2.8D on my F100. Great lens, sharp images and very low distortion.

Regards
CK

Thanks CK. A 20 mm is 30mm when mounted on the DSLR, not nearly enough for landscape photography.

I am thinking of going fully digital but I guess there are still limitations. :(

Maybe you would like to try the Nikon 18-35mm f3.5/f4.5. It will go well with the S1 and it's better than Sigma or Tamron. ;p

Try the Nikkor 20mm....brilliant lens!;)

Originally posted by kongg
Try the 20-35mm 2.8, its out of production now but its brilliant!!!!Try getting a 2nd hand one.

Supposedly sharper than the AFS 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF, but even at 2nd hand prices, still quite pricey. :(

Last saw one at Prime Camera for $16xx.

Regards
CK

Supposedly sharper than the AFS 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF, but even at 2nd hand prices, still quite pricey. :(

Last saw one at Prime Camera for $16xx.

Regards
CK

Heard a lot about this AFS 17-35mm f/2.8 but not much about it's lower cousin the Nikon 18-35mm f3.5/f4.5. I looking out for a wide angle lens too but have a budget of around $600-700 only.

Any advice? Don't think i wanna buy a prime lens (unless its a 50mm or a 105mm) yet. No space in my bag. And i want some range in my lenses for now.

Originally posted by rochkoh

Heard a lot about this AFS 17-35mm f/2.8 but not much about it's lower cousin the Nikon 18-35mm f3.5/f4.5. I looking out for a wide angle lens too but have a budget of around $600-700 only.

Any advice? Don't think i wanna buy a prime lens (unless its a 50mm or a 105mm) yet. No space in my bag. And i want some range in my lenses for now.

nikkor afd 20mm f/2.8 !! :D

You might want to consider the sigma 15-30mm.

Review here

For DSLR users, the barrier distortion and poorer edge sharpness might not matter.

I have no experience with the 18-35. Buy a 20mm f/2.8D. No space? Primes are smaller. A lot smaller than zooms like 17-35, 18-35, 20-35, etc. If you don't need such a wide angle, get a 24mm f/2.8D for about $530 at Cathay (if you equote).

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

I'll second that recommendation. Although fitting filters on this thing could be a little tricky at times.

Originally posted by Lennier

I'll second that recommendation. Although fitting filters on this thing could be a little tricky at times.

Yeah. And speaking of filters,

DO NOT stack a regular circular polarizer on top of the UV filter you have on the lens. VERY BAD vignetting will occur once you stop down. I've been there and done that. :(

Even a regular circular polarizer used alone gives some slight vignetting.

Regards
CK

Hi all,

An update. I bought the Sigma 15-30mm. So far the shots are sharp and lens works perfectly with the S1.

Below is a sample pic @ISO 800.

food.jpg

click here for an accurate review of this lens

enjoy

Hi all,

An update. I bought the Sigma 15-30mm. So far the shots are sharp and lens works perfectly with the S1.

Below is a sample pic @ISO 800.

food.jpg

Hi, how much u paid for this lenses ?

Originally posted by spider

Hi, how much u paid for this lenses ?

I got it from the Foto guide folks. They are selling @ 1020.
AP is selling at 1050.

Good lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.