-=Discussion=- D800 or D800E , Which is your pick?

Dearboy87

Jun 7, 2007
Which one will be your pick? Additional post process to remove the color moiré? or direct ready to use image.

I believe the price between this two camera won't affect people who have the intention of getting it.

Which one will be your pick? Additional post process to remove the color moiré? or direct ready to use image.

I believe the price between this two camera won't affect people who have the intention of getting it.

Determined by the probability of moire patterns vs the additional IQ.

I go AA. I am a people photographer I don't like critical sharpness on skin and moire on clothes. Extra post process work to do the files is also not preferred.

For landscape, bird, nature, macro shooters, obviously non AA and make full use of it!

Well until now everyone have been very happy using with AA shooting lanscape, bird nature & macro so will those ppl want to get non AA now to have more work to do in processing and getting their picture out :dunno: this makes me wonder about it.

I go AA. I am a people photographer I don't like critical sharpness on skin and moire on clothes. Extra post process work to do the files is also not preferred.

For landscape, bird, nature, macro shooters, obviously non AA and make full use of it!

The no AA version is more for commerical photographers rather than hobbyists.
Why make your life difficult thinking whether you want AA or no AA if photography is only a hobby and you rarely print super big size or pixel peep?
Before this, all the DSLRs have AA filter and no hobbyists complain about it.

kentwong81 said:
Before this, all the DSLRs have AA filter and no hobbyists complain about it.

Or too many pros too, for that matter. Although I know some top photographers pay to have them removed.

Or too many pros too, for that matter. Although I know some top photographers pay to have them removed.

Before you know it, you will hear of D800E owning CSers saying how those using D800 don't appreciate how "spiritual" is the experience... "go swim in your baby pool" and the likes.

If it will be just a click to solve everything or create a action to play in photoshop it will make life alot better.
Then again why nikon didn't add a function in the camera to resolve this? hahas

The D800E is aimed at the Medium Format users. Most digital Hasselblad and Mamiya cameras/backs do not have AA filters.

I will not be poison by either of the D800, coz I have return to shooting film using mine trusty nikon flagship slr from 20yrs ago, the F3HP!:):)

I am extremly happy with the AA-less Ricoh A12M module. Pictures are sharper with more details. I did not have any problems with moire so far.My choice will be the 800 E , no question. Most likely, the sensor can not even show it's full performance with AA filter. Next question of course will be, which lens to use. Forget all non prime lenses, they just dont have the resolution. Lucky, Zeiss does a range of lenses with Nikon F mount.

Achim Reh said:
Forget all non prime lenses, they just dont have the resolution.

No leh... Some of the shots here:

http://weblog.robvanpetten.com/archive/nikon-d800

done with 24-70 and 24-120 leh.

Something else interesting he said:

"The inherent file size can require some unusual treatment. The large capture can make the camera sensitive to vibration more than smaller cameras, requiring faster shutter speeds or a tripod. Even in the studio with flash, I used a tripod on shots done with a 200mm F/2 lens."

Of the thousands of photos I have taken with the Leica DMR and M8, both without AA filter, only a handful have moire and this is at 100%. The moire showed up with fence posts that were very close together and on distant louvres and roof tiles. Therefore, for most users this might not be an issue. But wedding photographers might need to be careful as moire can appear with fine patterns found in textiles.
Nikon did the right thing to release a DSLR w/o AA filter.

N.S. Ng

UncleFai said:

http://weblog.robvanpetten.com/archive/nikon-d800

"The inherent file size can require some unusual treatment. The large capture can make the camera sensitive to vibration more than smaller cameras, requiring faster shutter speeds or a tripod. Even in the studio with flash, I used a tripod on shots done with a 200mm F/2 lens."

I already saw a major difference in sharpness and details between the Nikon 24-120 and the Zeiss Planar 50 on the D 700. Difference was even bigger on the Ricoh A12M . So, im am sure I need high res lenses to use the sensor to its full potential. But of course, this can only be seen on a high quality print out.

I already saw a major difference in sharpness and details between the Nikon 24-120 and the Zeiss Planar 50 on the D 700. Difference was even bigger on the Ricoh A12M . So, im am sure I need high res lenses to use the sensor to its full potential. But of course, this can only be seen on a high quality print out.

i would think that the Nikon 24-120 and the Zeiss Planar 50 is not a good comparison as it isn't much of a like-for-like comparison.

one's a zoom and the other's a prime.

The moire may not be such a big issue after all.

Check the image of the kimono girl (sample 3) in the D800E samples. The fabric shows no moire at all.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Sample Images - Nikon D800/D800E

these fotos were processed with NX2, i would think that in order to get the best out of the RAW files, the Nikon Capture NX2 is a must.

more $$$$.

Nikon D800 | Rob Van Petten

the max flash synch speed is 1/250s. and he's shooting at 200mm.

i would think that unless he can get a faster flash sync speed, then a tripod is necessary at that focal length.

but still, would like to see more samples! kekekeke ;p

The D800E is aimed at the Medium Format users. Most digital Hasselblad and Mamiya cameras/backs do not have AA filters.

The AA filter is optional for medium format DB .........

Last edited:
these fotos were processed with NX2, i would think that in order to get the best out of the RAW files, the Nikon Capture NX2 is a must.

more $$$$.

Apparently, in the US, the D800E will be shipped with free NX2.