discreet camera bag

carocaro

Feb 17, 2009
Hi all,
travelling to Cambodia, particularly some poor parts. I have heard nightmare stories of bag snatchings, even from tuk tuks, but I wat to take my camera everywhere. Anyone can suggest a discreet camera bag that doesn't shout "here's an expensive item, come and get me!"? Ideally one I can fit a few other essentials in too.
Thanks

just use a normal bag with one of those neoprene pouches inside for your camera

Hi,

Another alternatives, buy padded camera inserts from Orient Photo. Big ones can fit messanger bag, small ones can fit army shoulder bag (beach road $4.00).

Hi all,
travelling to Cambodia, particularly some poor parts. I have heard nightmare stories of bag snatchings, even from tuk tuks, but I wat to take my camera everywhere. Anyone can suggest a discreet camera bag that doesn't shout "here's an expensive item, come and get me!"? Ideally one I can fit a few other essentials in too.
Thanks

I think you can benefit from this thread which has discussed a lot on this matter:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560324

I would recommend crumpler.

Just stay far away from Kata or Lowepro. Anyone that spot that from miles away.

Hi all,
Thanks

Think Tank Urban Disguise Series :thumbsup: I brought it to Cambodia and Vietnam..

Any old banged-up backpack should suffice..

Personally, I use a 4 year-old NorthFace backpack, with a set of clothes at the bottom for padding.. It comes with rain-cover attached to the base..
Inside I pack almost all my gear, less the tripod.. you can never tell it's carrying a dSLR with a 100-400mm L lens..

just my say :)

I have a friend who just bought a messenger bag from an HDB shop for <$20; then he cut some foam and created a camera bag. So, it depends whether you want a "nice" one or a "functional" one. The cost difference is in the 3 digits!

I think the key is to exercise prudence in guarding your bag from being snatched or yanked away. While a gold lining leather is definitely shouting "snatch me", I think a snatch thief can tell between the have and have not of his intended victim. I was traveling alone in Siem Reap and the temples last month on motorbike and tut-tut and I make sure that my bags are securely anchored to prevent being yanked away.

once you take out the cam to shoot....u are already in the "radar"....so what ever bag that is used...it will not sheild the cam away from the radar sensor....get those sling bag is the best...keep it close to your front during shooting or walking or taking tuk tuk...
and if u still find it tooooooo dangerous, leave the cam at home and bring a PnS....

most impt is u dun look lost and blur, there are no way we can hide our tourist look...so just look confident..and steady....dun tok to stranger or even be TOO helpfull....and this has keep me goes a long way when I travel....

Last edited:
Is actually not that bad. Which part u going? or gone already?

I have used a worn out olive domke fx3 that has that old army bag look from the Vietnam war. But I guess people can still put their hands in the domke and try to fish out a lens etc. Once you are their "radar" when you whip out your cam, anything, even themost discreet camera bag is vulnerable.

Lost of property simply ruins your holiday. It could have been worst if lives are at stake. Safety first. Enjoy your holiday.

Hi, I use something like this bag
bananarepublic_backpack_small.jpg

I think I paid 250Baht (S$11?) for it a couple of years ago... No special modifications. Just a few minor repairs at the grommet area, which was normal for wear and tear on a bag used daily for many years. And a few reinforcement stitches for the edge of the pockets. mind you, this bag is huge. It is circa 25-30 liters, and can easily store 6pcs of 70-210 f2.8, with top space for a few more cameras !! And yet, it will crush down to a small ball, when empty. I actually managed to fit 9 bottles of 1.5liter Coke into it once, just to see what it could hold.

Except mine has a Large Pocket in the front, and looks more beat-up than the one above.
I keep it behind for most times, and reverse it, to wear it infront of me when I need to take things out, or in conditions where I think things might get "stolen" from me.

Also, I go everywhere with a walking stick which doubles up as a monopod, and a self-defense weapon.
SP0026BK.jpg

It works well, and I can also use it for trekking, as it has a spiked tip, snow tip, and general rubber tip. Cost was only 200Baht (S$8). Damn Cheap. I bought 3 immediately.

Last edited:
dun tok to stranger or even be TOO helpfull....

aww that pretty much defeats the whole travel purpose eh? :bsmilie:
taking good photos is one thing, getting into the local culture is part of the whole point, no?

Hi all,
Thanks
Here you go:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560324