Discovery of the Very Rare Moth Butterfly

Bluesteel

Jul 27, 2005
Tentative New Butterfly Discovery for Singapore .

This weird looking don't-know-what butterfly flew passed in a deep forested area when I was attempting to shoot a Bamboo Tree Brown. I gave chase and managed a couple of shots . while trying to reposition for a better shot , he fluttered off into the deep bush. This is one of the weirdest butterfly I have ever come across.

On close scrutiny and checking with authoritive references it is tentatively identified as the very rare Liphyra brassolis abbreviata (The Moth Butterfly ). The shot has been forwarded to Lepidoptera experts for confirmation. It is the world largest lycaenid and myrmecophilous species ( its larva habitually shares the nest of an ant colony) associated with Oecophylla smaragdina (weaver ants or commonly refer to as red ants), the larva preys upon larvae and pupae of the host ant. The adult butterfly's proboscis is wholly atrophied and it cannot feed. This species is reported in "The Butterflies of The Malay Peninsula " as very rare in Peninsula of Malaya.

Details of discussion of this new find in Singapore is under active discussion at ButterflyCircle Forum

Liphyra brassolis abbreviata (The Moth Butterfly )

2009_05_13_1D3_IMG_1057.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: sazhar
Congrats Sunny and BCircle members! Yet another fantastic find! Keep up the good work guys! :thumbsup:

Looks like a moth under mutation

Seems like the wings are damaged... :(

Seems like the wings are damaged... :(

Hi,

My first thought too that it is a deformed or worn out specimen but it was in fact a perfectly healthy butterfly

... here is a view of a newly eclosed specimen with minimum damage. .

Liphyra2.jpg

Last edited:
1 very very rare gem that u've found and with photographic evidence! another one of the many contributions to the SG checklist from uncle Sunny. at this rate. we may hit 300 species this year!

Wa rare species , must protect

unfortunately it isnt as easy as saying it. this species' caterpillar feeds on ants' larvae.... so that means, they can be anywhere in singapore and not restricted to areas where a specific species of plant grows like other butterflies.

nice discovery...pics very sharp and nice too!!!!

Update:

Malaysian butterfly expert Dr. Kirton has confirmed that indeed this is the rare Liphyra brassolis.

Meanwhile ButterflyCircle's Life History expert/advisor Keith from California, USA has also directed us to a video on the fascinating behavior of this species' caterpillars which feed on the larva of the red ants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L830lAsrU8

We are officially adding the Liphyra brassolis as species #293 to the Singapore Butterflfy checklist .

Cheers!

Last edited:
Update:

Malaysian butterfly expert Dr. Kirton has confirmed that indeed this is the rare Liphyra brassolis.

Meanwhile ButterflyCircle's Life History expert/advisor Keith from California, USA has also directed us to a video on the fascinating behavior of this species' caterpillars which feed on the larva of the red ants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L830lAsrU8

We are officially adding the Liphyra brassolis as species #293 to the Singapore Butterflfy checklist .

Cheers!

Congrats to Blusteel and the our Butterfly pal at ButterflyCircle Pals for such a rare discovery.

Very educational too. The Caterpilar video in youtube is awesome too.

Thanks Guys for the Kind words!

A more detailed brief on the re-discovery of the species can be found at the ButterfliyCircle Blog .

http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

rare species really.. thanks to orgs like PETA working for the safety of such creatures of the Nature..!!
any way a close snap.. clarity..:embrass:

-------------------------------

Thanks for dropping by ! It is the only shot we have .:embrass:

I assume your reference to PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). I could not see the connection why you are thanking PETA with this find of a rare butterfly species in Singapore. :)

Last edited:
Fascinating information. Thank you for posting it.