Disclosure of shutter count in BnS section

playhard

Mar 20, 2006
Do you think it's a must to disclose the number of shutter counts in BNS section? Isnt it one of the main factors to help is to buy a second hand camera? I see about 80% of the posts try to hide this information, unless seller doesn't know how to get that information and state that in the post. I feel it's ridiculous as seller eventually need to Send one more SMS to tell this number. If one SMS cost 5 cents, 10 replies to 10 enquiries cost 50 cents. That's a waste of money.

Let us know what u think...

Do you think it's a must to disclose the number of shutter counts in BNS section? Isnt it one of the main factors to help is to buy a second hand camera? I see about 80% of the posts try to hide this information, unless seller doesn't know how to get that information and state that in the post. I feel it's ridiculous as seller eventually need to Send one more SMS to tell this number. If one SMS cost 5 cents, 10 replies to 10 enquiries cost 50 cents. That's a waste of money.

No, shutter count is not very important. Shutter life is pretty long, and the number given in the specs is just as estimate, and not very accurate. People have used their cameras way beyond their shutter life without problems, and there are shutters which fail way before their shutter life.

Most people will never use their cameras up to their shutter life. The only people I see who will use their cameras beyond their estimated shutter life are event/wedding photographers. There should be no reason any other photographer will use their cameras even close to the life of the shutter, unless they are fooling around with the continuous shooting just to fap to the shutter sound.

some sellers think shutter counters of a camera is irrelevant/not important information a used camera, but not to all people think the same way.

When you are a seller, you goal is to sell this item as fast as you can and at a price is reasonable and acceptable for you.

providing accurate information and details on the item and transaction will help buyers make some decision before contacting you,

this will save you lots of troubles and help you reach your goal isn't it?

as for me, I will state the shutter counts of my cameras if I put it on sale, tho it will make many people faint but at least those who bothered by this will not contact me.

Every detail is important if i want to buy...shutter lifespan may be long but lower shutter counts tells me low usage...lower mileage...works more or less like buying used car...*winks*

Fully agree with Catchlights' view. Full disclosure & detailed information provided is better as this sieve out, pre-qualifies real from potential buyers that facilitates fast & sure deals. No need to hide or omit important details which may be later interpreted as dishonesty or misrepresentation. Whats an unimportant or critical criteria is up to the individual. Much time & energy wasted to solicit these information. Aside from shutter count, noticed the same for box/accessories, local/grey set, with/without receipt/age of item. These are but factual stuff. Whats more tricky I find is to describe the cosmetic conditions of items, as it is difficult to put them down in words adequately, like whats consitute a flaw or blemish. So oftentimes, personal viewing is warranted, if such a consideration may be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
some questions...

just how much does it cost to replace a shutter unit?
do you actually know anyone who has changed theirs?

i replaced my shutter unit of my Nikon F801s once (cost me around $250 at NSC) and that is because i accidentally damaged it while changing film in the dark.
ann that was after more than 20 years of use.

Good questions. Had a FE2 & FM2 that lasted 25 years & more. Not a single issue with the shutters. These are mechanical wonders that seem to last a lifetime. In the days of film, can open the camera back & see the shutters. Are the shutters the same for digital cameas now? I should think so.

Nikon D7000, D300s, D300:
Factory tested Shutter life 150,000 actuations

Here is the shutter counts of my D300

Camera Model Name : NIKON D300
File Create Date : 2012:03:07 20:29:37

Shutter Count : 150750

To me its important.

Not cos I am into numbers but if you are a super trigger happy person and probably due to the age of camera, the shutter may soon reach its max actuation.

and I know of a member who change their actuation pretty often in a year cos his style is doing burst shoots when doing street photography.

Changing the shutter is quite costly. For 5DMKII it cost $300+ to change one.

And guess what? Even though 5DMKII actuation is very high... my shutter just failed on me when I only used up 30,000+! Luckily I got extended warranty to cover me to replace the shutter as the CSC suspect its faulty. I went to google and did some research and seems like there is a certain batch of 5DMKII with this commonly known problem.

So yeah, its good to let the seller know the shutter count.

Yes important as a gauge. But numbers mean differently to different people.

I brought my D700 to 100,000+++ within 1.5 years of usage and that's just one camera.

So I consider less than 50,000 low shutter (1/3 life) but the same number may mean a lot different to another person.

Remember supposed shutter life is just an safe number manufacturer puts out they usually go for longer. There are stats online if you google.

Film cameras; we don't shoot film like we shoot digital do we? An 50 years regularly used film cam may not have more shutter counts than an 5 year old digital used daily by a 'modern' events shooter.

I think in the modern day of mobile phone plans and the proliferation of smartphones, the extra SMS doesn't matter much for most people... Especially since many hardly break the limits for SMS (due to Whatsapp, iMessage, etc)...

That aside, I think it is good to always state the shutter count, but that's me.. I don't want to get all sorts of questions about this and that and whether I have a little scratch in the little corner of the battery door, etc. I notice that most people here also don't post photographs of their gear. That tends to save a lot of trouble.

I did state the shutter count of my D5000 when I sold it, but to me, it doesn't matter, because shutter can break down any time. It can break down after your first shot, it may not break down after a million shots. As a buyer it is something I can use to bargain if the shutter count is pretty high, but otherwise I do not bother much about it.

FYI, some canons DSLR could not use any 3rd party softwares except going to CSC to get the shutter counts evaluated.

If one hit its shutter life and replace new shutter unit, shutter count will be zero. If he dun state that he had changed new shutter unit, can these 3rd party softwares able to provide the exact numbers? Just curious....

if the issue of shutter count of used cameras really bothers you, just buy new camera.

buy already can't sleep can't eat can't smile, this camera become a curse, what is the point?

If one hit its shutter life and replace new shutter unit, shutter count will be zero. If he dun state that he had changed new shutter unit, can these 3rd party softwares able to provide the exact numbers? Just curious....

I think software will tell the new number reset from 0.

I have just encountered this few days ago and also highlighted in Customer Section.

playhard said:
I think software will tell the new number reset from 0.

I have just encountered this few days ago and also highlighted in Customer Section.

Chances are cameras like that will show obvious signs of wear n tear.

Not that shutter count is not important, but I think the overall condition is probably more important if you are looking at older bodies like those from few years ago. Some 3 years old body with 10k shutter count look like they have survived a couple of wars, rubber peeling, here scratched, there dented. Some with 25k shutter count look like brand new, as if the owner never brought it out of the house. Which will you choose?

Just now I checked a d90, the seller sent me a photo yesterday, the shutter count is 13k, agree to meet up, going all the way from jurog east to aljunied, check the shutter count again, its 119k+. Its really ridiculous. Apparently seller use another d90 body to send the photo to me.
So lucky I brought my laptop with me, otherwise I got cheated. How to report that advertisement as well as to inform fellow buyers of this dishonest seller? His thread is still in nikon bns. He cant speak english. I still keep the photo as well as myshuttercount link as proof. Will post the link to his post soon

Last edited: