disadvantages shooting in LV vs OVF

baynald12

Deregistered
Apr 30, 2010
I had been a 99% LV shooter, except for fast moving objects like birds flying, airplane, fast cars, other than those I shoot LV.
Are there advantages/disavantages shooting OVF vs LV aside from situations mention above?

In your case, not very many. But for the rest of us non-Alpha users, the shutter lag in LV mode is bad enough that we can only take static objects with it. :(

Last edited:
I had been a 99% LV shooter, except for fast moving objects like birds flying, airplane, fast cars, other than those I shoot LV.
Are there advantages/disavantages shooting OVF vs LV aside from situations mention above?

Well, one important factor is that the battery lasts longer when you use OVF.

i am quite sure that the posture of holding the camera while using OVF (assuming you use optimal) versus that when using LV is much more effective at counteracting camera shake.

other than that, OVF has a real time response, any delay is human (and slight shutter). using LV has the same problems, and additional LV lag time.

thanks bros..
Im just not comfortable using OVF at least in LV i can adjust right away the exposure I wanted on my pics, but this is just my personal preference, i thought shooting in OVF has major advantage over LV.

Well i suppose LV means live view right? It is abt what u see thru the glass vs what u see thru the sensor. At times the LV is a little distracting due to noise etc.. At least on my cam i can only use mirror lock function with LV turned off..

Handheld i find focusing more precise thru ovf..

i use 80% OVF, unless needed then i shoot LV.. save battery juice :p

LV is good for judging exposure... at least for my canon. when i adjust my shutter/iso, the stuff changes. i must add it is only under normal conditions then this trick will work. if at night, the iso is automatically maxed, from my experience so far.

lv is useful for many things, especially IR photography. i find focusing on my LV easier, if there is sufficient IR around.

but OVF for the rest. saves battery and doesnt let ur sensor get so much dirt

Same for me bro.

Reason for LV
Able to see real-time exposure compensation, color and white balance.
Do not need to strain my eyes. I can open both of them and still aim easily.
Battery life is not really an issue with me. Casual shooter like me will not shoot over 500 to 600 photos per outing.
Shooting with LV also enables me to tilt my LCD so that i do not need to shoot in an awkward position. For example i can place my cam on the floor the tilt the LCD up to face me when using LV. If i am using OVF, i need to prone down on the floor.

Reason for OVF
Under bright condition whereby my LV appears to be dark due to the bright sun light, i will use OVF and that is the only reason i will use OVF.

Last edited:
I use LV when I'm not very sure about the white balance. In that case, I usually check the white balance from LV because it's real time. But the shoot is 99% taken with OVF.

Same for me bro.

Reason for LV
Able to see real-time exposure compensation, color and white balance.
Do not need to strain my eyes. I can open both of them and still aim easily.
Battery life is not really an issue with me. Casual shooter like me will not shoot over 500 to 600 photos per outing.
Shooting with LV also enables me to tilt my LCD so that i do not need to shoot in an awkward position. For example i can place my cam on the floor the tilt the LCD up to face me when using LV. If i am using OVF, i need to prone down on the floor.

Reason for OVF
Under bright condition whereby my LV appears to be dark due to the bright sun light, i will use OVF and that is the only reason i will use OVF.

thanks for the advent of this technology, it makes learning dslr photography easy and comfortable.
battery for me is not an issue using LV. 1 bat can easily take up 500 raw shots, so i just need a spare that's the purpose of VG..