Disadvantage of using other brand flash

korbidp3k

Dec 11, 2009
Clementi
Hi all,

I am using a D90 and I am planning to get a flash.
May i know if there's a disadvantage of using other brand Flash (Non-Nikon Flash)?

I tried googling it, but cannot seem to find the answer.

Thanks beforehand :)

Hi all,

May i know if there's a disadvantage of using other brand Flash (Non-Nikon Flash)?

You might want to try Nissin Di 866 Pro or Di622 for Nikon. Be careful in buying an appropriate flash for your D90 as using a wrong flash can damage the camera circuitry.

You might want to try Nissin Di 866 Pro or Di622 for Nikon. Be careful in buying an appropriate flash for your D90 as using a wrong flash can damage the camera circuitry.

Thanks for the reply.

Wrong flash as in not compatible? If not, care to elaborate more? :)

Compatibility will always be an issue. While only certain models of some makes have firmware update, most don't and even so, I don't think firmware updates will solve all issues.

For example, I read Nissin di866 (Nikon) has an issue wireless FP sync so if you require this feature (now or feature), it's not going to work for you. A firmware update might solve this issue but now it's wait and see.

Thanks for the reply.

Wrong flash as in not compatible? If not, care to elaborate more? :)

The hotshoe mount is a universal design ie the dimension is similar no matter which camera brand you buy.

The problem is different camera runs on different voltage. Some flash have an operating voltage much higher than the camera was designed for. So before you buy, you might want to read the accompanying leaflet to verify that the model you want to buy is compatible for your camera. Also double confirm with the salesman before you buy.

To start you off, there are some compatible non-Nikon models you might to look at the camera retail stores:
(1)
Nissin Di 866 Pro or Di622 for Nikon
(2) METZ mecablitz 36 AF-4 digital/48 AF-1 digital/58 AF-1 digital

There is no difference in using same brand flash and compatible flash if the aim is to save a few bucks. Before buying a flash, choose a model that is the most powerful you have budget for. Specification you might want to compare:
(1) Guide number:
4/111.5 (ISO 100, m/ft), 48/157.5 (ISO 200, m/ft)
(2) Flash coverage: Multi-step auto zoom covers wide 17-200mm zoom range
(3) Recycling Time: 4sec or better

(4) i-TTL type flash

Hope that helps.

For a Ist flash, there'll b lots more people with experience in nikon flashes than 3rd party, much easier to ask for help.
however, I've gotten a 3rd party as 2nd flash cause of price.works fine for me.but its easier to decide for yourself aft you have more experience w ur Ist.

Just my 2cts personal opinion.:)

Hi all,

Please read your D90 users manual on flash compatibility. The information is all there.

I do not recommend using 3rd party flash. Usually they are not as reliable compared to camera manufacture and for D90 you should get a Sb600 or above to make use of CLS.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful reply. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I understood that not all 3rd party flash is compatible with my D90. :)

What I wanted to find out was whether there are other disadvantages if I use a compatible 3rd party flash compared to a Nikon flash, like the the firmware update as well as the CLS feature that some bros have pointed out.

Apologies for not stating the question very clearly. :embrass:

No offence to third-party flash vendors, but I'd always stick to original flash, unless it's a simple flash-triggered slave flash.

For Nikon, there's the low-priced SB400 if you're on a budget and need only basic features.

If there's exposure problem (or other functionality problem), a bit difficult to settle.
Camera service center might blame flash. Flash dealer might blame camera :dunno:

Last edited:
I do not recommend using 3rd party flash. Usually they are not as reliable compared to camera manufacture and for D90 you should get a Sb600 or above to make use of CLS.

How come 3rd party flash no good meh? I got a Mecablitz 58 AF-1 and it has proven to be much better than Nikon SB900.

There's no disadvantage at all. You must know what you want. Read the specs and see what it cannot do. If the cons is less than the pros and the budget fits you, then buy it. I have friends who have D90 and they never had problems with 3rd party flash like the Nissin.

No offence to third-party flash vendors, but I'd always stick to original flash, unless it's a simple flash-triggered slave flash.

For Nikon, there's the low-priced SB400 if you're on a budget and need only basic features.
rarely see sb400 in the market any longer, but if u found it..start thanking your lucky stars;)
back to the point, i would recommend ts to go for sb600 if it is just for normal photography

How come 3rd party flash no good meh? I got a Mecablitz 58 AF-1 and it has proven to be much better than Nikon SB900.

There's no disadvantage at all. You must know what you want. Read the specs and see what it cannot do. If the cons is less than the pros and the budget fits you, then buy it. I have friends who have D90 and they never had problems with 3rd party flash like the Nissin.

Not all flashes are made the same. The original brand makers will not have to worry about compatibility issues and how the hotshoes have to be re-fitted for the different brand users.

3rd party makers have to reverse engineer the flashes to the mount and functionability. Not all of them are able to work around it and make sure all the functions are met.

For Nikon flashes, they are equipped with CLS as well as AWL. If you read the manual, you'll understand what these are and how well they can work for the imaginative photographer. ;)