disadvantage of grey set

ardneh

Jan 26, 2006
Hi,

Just to gain some understanding.

Grey sets mean set that did not come with manufacturer warranty, right? For example the ones u purchased from ddelectronics. Does it include camera purchased from JB?

Also, what are the disadvantages of having shop warranty? Bad service? Long repair time? Any other?

Thanks

ardneh said:
Hi,

Just to gain some understanding.

Grey sets mean set that did not come with manufacturer warranty, right? For example the ones u purchased from ddelectronics. Does it include camera purchased from JB?

Also, what are the disadvantages of having shop warranty? Bad service? Long repair time? Any other?

Thanks

Set purchased from JB are also considered grey sets unless they have international warranty.

Disadvantages are that you have to go back to the shops if there is any problem and the service centers have the rights to not service the set. I am not sure how well the shops honor the warranty, that's just a risk you have to take.

Also, for brands like sigma which you are entitled to calibrations within the warranty period, you will not have that. Local sets for sigma are entitled to 2 times of calibration but if it's a grey set, each calibration cost $150.

Thanks a lot.

I didn't know about sigma have the free calibration, so it is a good point tht you bring up. Is free calibration specific to sigma only or is it the same with other lenses?

ardneh said:
Thanks a lot.

I didn't know about sigma have the free calibration, so it is a good point tht you bring up. Is free calibration specific to sigma only or is it the same with other lenses?

I use a Nikon and I have calibrate lenses for free when they are still within the warranty period

Set purchased from JB are also considered grey sets unless they have international warranty.

Some although state have international warranty if u bought overseas, but may not be valid in Singapore, Eg is Canon.
Think some products have limited international warranty (eg maybe shorter warranty period, etc).

Thank you all.

Now I know more of the disadvantages of a grey set.

Well...i tink grey AKA "parallel import".They might claim to have shop warranty of 1 year but in case something happens along the way,how well the shop would honour their claim is one issue that you have to bear.i would rather pay a bit more for Canon warranty without any "headaches"...Cheers!

Marcus7 said:
Well...i tink grey AKA "parallel import".They might claim to have shop warranty of 1 year but in case something happens along the way,how well the shop would honour their claim is one issue that you have to bear.i would rather pay a bit more for Canon warranty without any "headaches"...Cheers!

When the "a bit more" is $400 or more, wouldn't you be tempted? That's exactly what happens to bigma lenses locally.

U mean grey set I can't bring to canon for service? I don't think so le. Pls confirm. I am thinking of getting 24-70 soon

You can still bring it there, just that they have the rights not to service it for you.

Disadvantages are that you have to go back to the shops if there is any problem and the service centers have the rights to not service the set.

Not to service the set, or not to service the set FOC?

I am thinking if the service centers are going to just tell people that "this is not a local set, we don't do repairs for non-local sets". Surely if a tourist comes to Singapore and the lens develops faults, he can take it to the servicing center? Or an international student, etc.

I am thinking if the service centers are going to just tell people that "this is not a local set, we don't do repairs for non-local sets". Surely if a tourist comes to Singapore and the lens develops faults, he can take it to the servicing center? Or an international student, etc.

i second with the not to service set FOC. sounds illogical, and pretty poor consumer aftercare if the case was to reject all grey sets servicing

i second with the not to service set FOC. sounds illogical, and pretty poor consumer aftercare if the case was to reject all grey sets servicing
For established names like Canon and Nikon, their service centre will repair and service all their products. They just treat it like it is out of warranty. It is important for these companies to show that they have worldwide support so that the users can have peace of mind wherever they are, especially the professional photographers who depends on their equipment for their work.

Some companies may impose a surcharge on products not bought in Singapore but I doubt this applies to camera manufacturers.

hmm i would think that buying grey sets are akin to travelling without insurance.
local sets with warranty are just like insurance to your precious gears.

if one is willing to forgo the insurance for cheaper gear, can go right ahead. nothing wrong also..

spree86 said:
You can still bring it there, just that they have the rights not to service it for you.

edutilos- said:

I am assuming here that the term 'grey set' refers to any camera equipment (body, lens, etc) which is not distributed by the local distributor (Canon Singapore, Nikon Singapore, etc).
Definitely it includes authorized products purchased overseas, as in the 2 examples you brought up. But perhaps if the equipment is of 'dubious' origin (e.g. factory reject somehow making it onto the market), the service center may have the right to turn down the customer's request for service? :dunno:

Definitely it includes authorized products purchased overseas, as in the 2 examples you brought up. But perhaps if the equipment is of 'dubious' origin (e.g. factory reject somehow making it onto the market), the service center may have the right to turn down the customer's request for service? :dunno:

Not sure, but certainly there is a capability to repair it. I am quite sure no service center absorbs or subsidizes repair costs when there is no warranty. Minimally they would be passing on manpower/materials cost to the customer directly.

What is the issue?

There were cases where the service center refuse to service a set but I have to admit its not a local issue.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/604344-kudos-nikon-singapore.html

In the Nikon Asia website, they mentioned that a grey set might not receive full technical support.

Nikon VS Grey Market

Yes, a quick search reveals this complaint also.. It seems to be a NIKON problem only, and limited to the USA? The second link mentions that Canon does not have such a grey market policy.

Nikon refuses to fix there own camera
Nikon and the "Grey Market" issue.
Where should I bring my grey market Nikon stuffs to be fixed in San Francisco? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
Grey market cameras - Photo.net Nikon Forum

They seem quite determined to stop this grey set thing.. Probably to ensure that grey sets become very unattractive and they can ensure that there will be no competition from grey sets for their sales?

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/16/n...amera-parts-to-independent-repair-shops.aspx/

Last edited:
Not sure, but certainly there is a capability to repair it. I am quite sure no service center absorbs or subsidizes repair costs when there is no warranty. Minimally they would be passing on manpower/materials cost to the customer directly.

What is the issue?

It probably wouldn't be a cost issue.

Reputation could be a possibility. As an example, my company has a list of serial numbers for items produced and shipped out by factory in Europe. So far we have not encountered a case of equipment not on the list. But should it occur, we may refuse the service (and earn the wrath of the customer), or we may have to put it very clearly that there may be other defects with the equipment, and we shouldn't be held responsible yada yada...

The responsible person in charge of customer service would have to make that judgement.

It probably wouldn't be a cost issue.

Reputation could be a possibility. As an example, my company has a list of serial numbers for items produced and shipped out by factory in Europe. So far we have not encountered a case of equipment not on the list. But should it occur, we may refuse the service (and earn the wrath of the customer), or we may have to put it very clearly that there may be other defects with the equipment, and we shouldn't be held responsible yada yada...

The responsible person in charge of customer service would have to make that judgement.

I understand, but given that the customer may not have known that he was purchasing a grey set, i.e. no deliberate decision was made to get a product not meant for the local market... While this can be conveyed, the refusal to service grey products could be seen as unreasonable. After all, in this case a camera is much more complex compared to say a CD. I can see why a local music distributor refuses to entertain customers who have purchased a grey market CD - after all, it's a CD, and it's not from me - end of story... But for the camera, you can look at the body, replace the parts that are causing the complaint that the customer has highlighted, and charge the time and parts (even with a small profit) to them.

I guess it really depends on what the local entity views itself as - if it's part of the global Nikon brand, then certainly a Nikon product from China shipped to Singapore as a grey product is still coming from Nikon the brand.. I don't think it's fair to argue that all grey sets are by necessity factory rejects. But of course, if the company's primary priority is to ensure that it controls the market and the sole source of Nikon products is itself, then that's another story altogether. By creating an unconducive environment for grey sets, it ensures that maximum profit from Nikon product sales is achieved as there will be reduced competition from external sources.