Disable Flash in Canon EOS 350D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugger

Sep 4, 2006
Singapore
I bought a Canon EOS 350 D from Comex yesterday. I been reading the manul all day but cannot find a way to disable flash from firing in low light conditions in the Aperture priority mode and Night mode. I am a newbie to SLRs. Is there no way to do this? :dunno:

Push the pop-up flash down when it pops up. That should settle it. :)

as long you push down the flash... it wun fire.
but the next time you need it.. you got to press the flash button up again

wat i did was get a small cardboard paper material, not too thick but firm enough to slide into the hotshoe. that case, actually "fool" the camera that the light source is from external flash light and will not activiate the built-in flash pop-up. hope this helps.

Strange. I thought if you don't press the flash button, it won't pop up even though you're shooting in low light condition. I may be wrong though...

pokha said:
Push the pop-up flash down when it pops up. That should settle it. :)
I tried that. I found that I have to keep the shutter pressed half way while lowering the flash.
as long you push down the flash... it wun fire.
But the next time I take another pic, it pops up again. It's annoying. Or am I doing something wrong?

dfstan said:
wat i did was get a small cardboard paper material, not too thick but firm enough to slide into the hotshoe. that case, actually "fool" the camera that the light source is from external flash light and will not activiate the built-in flash pop-up. hope this helps.
That's a cool tip!!! Shall try that out

It only pops up in the green box or P mode IIRC and some of the "auto modes) in manual Av and Tv it will only pop up when you press the button and use it as a fill flash.

it wont pop out in aperture priority mode....

yup. only pops out in full auto and other modes. M TV AV and P wun.

wanzw said:
yup. only pops out in full auto and other modes. M TV AV and P wun.
I'm sorry, yes it doens't pop out in Av mode. My error. But in night mode, I take it for each shot the flash pops up and you have to push it down (with shutter half pressed) to disable flash for that take.

shutterbugger said:
I'm sorry, yes it doens't pop out in Av mode. My error. But in night mode, I take it for each shot the flash pops up and you have to push it down (with shutter half pressed) to disable flash for that take.
use Av/Tv/M mode then.... all this mode enable you to have nearly full control over the camera including flash...

I guess the best way is to push down the flash when it pops up. Most convenient way. If not, try some manual settings like Av, or get an external flash. ;)

shutterbugger said:

I suspect you can try using the * button to lock the exposure than push down the flash, if half pressing the shutter and pushing down the flash is too much of a handful.

Night mode flash is for lighting foreground object, yah? So I presume you are like taking nightscapes?

I haven't tried the * setting yet.. Shall test that out. Thnkx pokha..
And yes, it's for nightscapes with no foreground objects.. :)

Refer to page 95 of your user manual. There is a flash cancel icon.

smtan24 said:
Refer to page 95 of your user manual. There is a flash cancel icon.

that is a separate mode altogether. You cannot automatically cancel flash in night mode. ANyway I guess using the creative modes does not pop up flash. I learnt to get over the 'auto flash pop-up' thing.. ;p

The night mode is for you to take pictures of foreground subject illuminated by your flash, while at the same time expose for the background.

If you want to take purely landscape pictures during low light or at night, use the landscape mode, which should be the 2 mountain peaks icon. In landscape mode, the flash will not pop up, as the camera will only meter for the ambient light only. Do take note that using this mode during low light will require you to use a tripod due to the low shutter speed.

And if I remember correctly, the other auto modes will pop up the flash if the camera deems it neccessary.

While we may say the using Av, Tv or M will gives the most control, the other auto modes does require you to have some understanding of their uses to make full use of their functions, and if you know how to make full use of them, it'll give almost the same results as the manual modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.