Dirty CCD or scratched CCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diediealsomustdive

Apr 2, 2006
CCK
This is showing up in all frames in my photos. Wonder if you might have some clue if this can be cleaned?

DSCF0216cropped.jpg

This is 100% crop, so in photo shows up as a small speck 4/5 way up on left hand border. A run through starzen dead pixel test showed no dead pixels, 6 hot spots, none in the same location as the offfending speck.

It is from Fuji S2Pro.

No I have not tried cleaning the CCD. I tried using a blower to see if I could get rid of it. The usual dust appears as small smudges, this one is strange...

On photo it looks like this (end of arrow).

DSCF0216marked_Small_.jpg

i looks pretty much like dust here :D if u are worried u can always go down svs centre or camera hospital :D

It is most likely a dust particle that is clinging alittle tighter to the surface of the CCD. Sometime even a good blower will not dislodge it from the thin protective clear layer that is ontop of the CCD sensor. If you are not confident or have not ever clean your own camera's CCD sensor yourself before, I advise you take it to the distributor to take care of it for you.

CCD burnt? :think: just kidding...
try a little cleaning and see if there is any different.

Great, thanks for the feedback. I want to sent it to Svc Centre and have them do it. Let you know the outcome.

Apparently, it might be a DIY CCD Cleaning that went wrong.
It seems like a small patch of fluid/grease or etch of the CCD coating.

I came across few cases of friends' DSLR sensor spoiled due to they applied wrong cleaning fluid. All their 100% sized pictures have the similar 'markings' as what is on your CCD. Beyond repair, they have to change the CCD (not free and very expensive, of course).

Be prepare, it may not be a simple service.

Apparently, it might be a DIY CCD Cleaning that went wrong.
It seems like a small patch of fluid/grease or etch of the CCD coating.

I came across few cases of friends' DSLR sensor spoiled due to they applied wrong cleaning fluid. All their 100% sized pictures have the similar 'markings' as what is on your CCD. Beyond repair, they have to change the CCD (not free and very expensive, of course).

Be prepare, it may not be a simple service.

Hi,
What do you mean by wrong cleaning fluid? Can share with us?

See everybody post I also kancheong ask a little bit. It is because I know whatever sensors CCD or CMOS are simple silicon photo detectors. The thing is, Silicon is a very active material, it would absorb moisture, degraded, get oxided, if it exposure to air. That's why all sensor are coated with thin layer of SiO2 (glass lah..) and SiN. They are totally innert to almost type of chemical (except concentrated or diluted HF solution).

That's why I wonder what cleaning fluid could corrode the protective layers. It sound very new to me..

Hi,
What do you mean by wrong cleaning fluid? Can share with us?

One of them used medicated oil :bigeyes:. Another used don't-know-what cleaning chemical she get from her factory.

Was: I have sent my S2Pro to Fujifilm for cleaning, showed the service tech the blob and he did not show any emotion, said should be able to clean. Keeping my fingers' crossed... Report back in a week when I receive my S2Pro back...

Now, Messages from Fujifilm: We have discover that the CCD is damaged due to possible liquid contact, and will need to replace the CCD. CCD Holder Assy $1,500, Svc $100, GST$80. Total $1,680. Pls reply with '1' to accept or '2' to reject.

End of story, but some moral to be learned from...

Addition - seller agreed to take back the camera. No real harm done to me, just the hassle of having to go back and forth a few times and travel to Fuji 2 times....

Nice guy (the seller, that is).

Moral of the story, when buying used DSLR, bring laptop. Take shots with fairly unform light colour surface, examine at 100% crop or even higher mag. Test for dead pixels, hot pixels.

In addition to the usual camera testing techniques.

Learned much in the past week....

erm...no experiences in diy ccd cleaning. but isnt there suppose to be a filter or something on top of the sensor? so if anything...should be just that layer that needs to be changed instead of the who CCD?

The whole CCD. In this day and age no one goes down to the component level to repair. Even if a resistor is burnt on the board they change the whole board.

I think no one will be able to go deep inside to check the CCD at the first instance (I supposed that you shown him over the counter?). So cannot blame them.

Should be the same problem as what I mentioned happened to my friends; the chemicals eat inside the CCD and the circuit.

That is one of the reason of getting a used SLR. You can never know what the previous owner(s) did internally.

Glad to know that the seller is willing to take back the camera. You know this seller personally?

erm...no experiences in diy ccd cleaning. but isnt there suppose to be a filter or something on top of the sensor? so if anything...should be just that layer that needs to be changed instead of the who CCD?
according to nikon engineer, changing the glass on top of the sensor needs to re-calibrate the sensor (coz need to take out) and they dun have the equipment to do that in sg, need to send to factory or japan

i think he's bullshitting me, my friend change the glass for me and dun seem to need to recalibrate it

according to nikon engineer, changing the glass on top of the sensor needs to re-calibrate the sensor (coz need to take out) and they dun have the equipment to do that in sg, need to send to factory or japan

i think he's bullshitting me, my friend change the glass for me and dun seem to need to recalibrate it
Yeah!!! :angry: Bullsh!t!!!

:bsmilie:

Nikon Sux0rS

Interesting. Where your friend find replacement glass for CCD?

Can share with us?

Regards,
Arto.

Glad to know that the seller is willing to take back the camera. You know this seller personally?

Nice guy I only got to know through this sale. It is a risk buying used, but when the itch to try comes, very hard to ignore. Bought new for my D70, cannot wait then. Now can, so maybe take this as a valuable lesson learn and next time buying use would be less risky.

See everybody post I also kancheong ask a little bit. It is because I know whatever sensors CCD or CMOS are simple silicon photo detectors. The thing is, Silicon is a very active material, it would absorb moisture, degraded, get oxided, if it exposure to air. That's why all sensor are coated with thin layer of SiO2 (glass lah..) and SiN. They are totally innert to almost type of chemical (except concentrated or diluted HF solution).

That's why I wonder what cleaning fluid could corrode the protective layers. It sound very new to me..
in front of the sensor is actually a piece of AA filter.. so you are actually cleaning this filter instead of the actual sensor. So even if you scratch it. you can still replace the filter alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.