Dirt spooted through view finder

alexneock

Jun 19, 2007
Recently, I spotted a few speck of dirt when i look through the view finder of my 400D. However the dirt did not appear at the picture taken.

Any advise on any cheap way to remove the dirt?

Last edited:
Recently, I spotted a few speck of dirt when i look through the view finder of my 400D. However the dirt did not appear at the picture taken.

Any advise on any cheap way to remove the dirt?

If it dosen't show up in your pictures,just live with it:)

If you buay tahan,send to CSC lo...

can try blowing towards where the focusing screen is...

If you decide to blow your focusing screen, be sure you don't introduce more dust.

could be on viewfinder or mirror but i would leave it alone..... if you try to blow it.... that could land at worst on your sensor ....THEN it will show up on your end images

if cannot tahan, bring to Canon Service Center for cleaning

How much does Canon charge for such servicing?

i think it is S$21.00 before GST if i'm not wrong..

thats the price for sensor cleaning........ which includes a general clean up of the viewfinder and mirror (if it needs cleaning)

haha...TS, if it's minor...then probably save up the money and wait for more spots on your sensor then go clean in 1 shot!;)

haha...TS, if it's minor...then probably save up the money and wait for more spots on your sensor then go clean in 1 shot!;)

Dun clean untill the spot is on the picture (meaning sensor).

Just a dirt on the view finder, best is to leave it alone. Even if u sent back to CSC they will only blow it with a rocket blower.

I have that too and tried to clean it with lens cleaning solution. In the end I scratch the view finder, as the view finder is just a piece of plastic that can be scratch very very easily. In the end I had to pay about $55 to replace the piece of plastic at CSC.

Very painful....

I have that too and tried to clean it with lens cleaning solution. In the end I scratch the view finder, as the view finder is just a piece of plastic that can be scratch very very easily. In the end I had to pay about $55 to replace the piece of plastic at CSC.
Viewfinder is plastic? Where did you get this from? The part where the image is formed (a.k.a. focusing screen) is definitely not plastic...

Just a dirt on the view finder, best is to leave it alone. Even if u sent back to CSC they will only blow it with a rocket blower.

Very painful....

inside the viewfinder is a prism, made of glass, you won't able to reach it.

I believe you've scratched the focusing screen, most of the focusing screen is made of glass also, but the surface facing the mirror is the matte side, it will scratch easily.

same to the reflect mirror, the mirror is front coating, so the sliver coating has no protection, it will scratch easily too.

if it is dusty, just give a few gentle blows, if the dust still don't go away, just leave it.
Do not try with any tools to clear the focusing screen and mirror yourself.

Viewfinder is plastic? Where did you get this from? The part where the image is formed (a.k.a. focusing screen) is definitely not plastic...

Yah it should be called the focusing screen, I am 100% sure that scratch mark formation can only be coming from a plastic surface ...

Well i am sure that piece of focusing screen is plastic. even the Ken Rock well concurred with this http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/slrs/5d/focus-screens.htm

Plus CSC is only selling it for 8 dollars a piece so I don't believe that will be the price for a piece of engineered glass.

if it is dusty, just give a few gentle blows, if the dust still don't go away, just leave it.
Do not try with any tools to clear the focusing screen and mirror yourself.

This I agree 300% there is not way to clean it yourself except to blow it with a rocket blower.

:nono:Don't try to clean it...

hi.. can i ask which lens cleaning tool is better? the mini lenspen or hurricane dust blower? http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=52
There is no "better" here, you compare 2 tools for different purposes. Blower should always be the first choice. If there are still stains or finger prints then lens pen helps. Always use blower first, dust can be very hard and act like sandpaper when you rub with any other tool.