Dirt on Low Pass filter

9zero

Oct 18, 2010
Whilst on holiday i was taking some photos and noticed that there were 2 tiny black spot on my viewfinder so i removed the lens used the dust blower to attempt to clear the dirt. Which i was successful however the other black spot is still present so i used the "raised mirror" option from the D7000 menu to try and use the dust blower to blow it out but it seems to be really stubborn. (I could actually see the dirt/spot stuck on the low pass filter)

The instruction booklet recommends that if its unsuccessful i should sent it back to NSC to get it cleaned by them.

Appreciate some advise if it is really necessary to sent it back to the NSC to get it cleaned?

Thanks in advance

Whilst on holiday i was taking some photos and noticed that there were 2 tiny black spot on my viewfinder so i removed the lens used the dust blower to attempt to clear the dirt. Which i was successful however the other black spot is still present so i used the "raised mirror" option from the D7000 menu to try and use the dust blower to blow it out but it seems to be really stubborn. (I could actually see the dirt/spot stuck on the low pass filter)

The instruction booklet recommends that if its unsuccessful i should sent it back to NSC to get it cleaned by them.

Appreciate some advise if it is really necessary to sent it back to the NSC to get it cleaned?

Thanks in advance

if u r afraid to clean ur own sensor, u can send it back to NSC. got mine cleaned a few weeks ago at 21 bucks wif gst.

if u r afraid to clean ur own sensor, u can send it back to NSC. got mine cleaned a few weeks ago at 21 bucks wif gst.

Hey Irvine, Thanks for all your response and input, i think i will sent it back to NSC since i dont have much experience and the tools to clean the sensor on my own.

BTW how long did NSC took to clean your lens?

Hey Irvine, Thanks for all your response and input, i think i will sent it back to NSC since i dont have much experience and the tools to clean the sensor on my own.

BTW how long did NSC took to clean your lens?

pretty fast. waited less than 30mins i guess.

hi..

1.if you can see the dust/dirt though the viewfinder, its most probably on the mirror, focusing screen or in the viewfinder. in that case CMOS cleaning wont help.
2.if you can see it on the low pass filter and through the viewfinder, its most probably 2 different dust particle.

went on a weekday, there were practically no other customers around :bsmilie:

You are so lucky indeed. I usually go there on weekday lunch time, and they can't do quick service, need to collect on the next day(s).

Went to NSC today and the person said that the dirt is INSIDE the viewfinder!! Dont know how it went in but she say that it is due to frequent change of lens when i just bought my second lens 1 week ago and changed it 2 twice thru out my entire trip. Perhaps i was damn unlucky.

But anywhere the person recommended that since it does not affect the over photo quality might as well live with it as it cost $120 to remove that speck of dirt stuck in the view finder it will also be regarded as General Servicing which will take 2weeks as they need to dismantle the entire camera. :(

Went to NSC today and the person said that the dirt is INSIDE the viewfinder!! Dont know how it went in but she say that it is due to frequent change of lens when i just bought my second lens 1 week ago and changed it 2 twice thru out my entire trip. Perhaps i was damn unlucky.

But anywhere the person recommended that since it does not affect the over photo quality might as well live with it as it cost $120 to remove that speck of dirt stuck in the view finder it will also be regarded as General Servicing which will take 2weeks as they need to dismantle the entire camera. :(

u shld remember to change ur lenses with ur camera body facing down and facing away from the wind direction nxt time. my sensor was dust free until i went to nikon kopi session, tryin all sorts of lenses. at tat time it didnt occur to me to change em properly ;p

You are so lucky indeed. I usually go there on weekday lunch time, and they can't do quick service, need to collect on the next day(s).

:bigeyes:

i rmb readin up in the forums that they take an average of 2hrs to get the sensor cleaned... but urs is way over. muz be coz that day alot of work orders for the technicians :bsmilie:

u shld remember to change ur lenses with ur camera body facing down and facing away from the wind direction nxt time. my sensor was dust free until i went to nikon kopi session, tryin all sorts of lenses. at tat time it didnt occur to me to change em properly ;p

Good tip bro.

I had the same issue too, attempted to remove the dirt using a normal blower but didn't work. I then tried it with a large giotto rocket and the dust specks were gone. Perhaps you might wanna give a strong blower a try before sending it into nsc

I had the same issue too, attempted to remove the dirt using a normal blower but didn't work. I then tried it with a large giotto rocket and the dust specks were gone. Perhaps you might wanna give a strong blower a try before sending it into nsc

i have the giottos rocket blower as well. couldnt blow off a stubborn speck of dust. appears as a ghost dot at f/11.. it's darn irritating. no choice but to bring it down to nsc. didnt dare to try buyin the sensor cleanin tools n try it myself :bsmilie: