DIP, CERTS,DEGREE in Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XsteelWolf

Jun 18, 2005
Like Masters, Diploma etc?

XsteelWolf said:
Like Masters, Diploma etc?

wat's ur actual intention? do u really wanna pursue full-time into photography?

I see those photographers everytime get to sit helicopters do landscape shots etc,spent 1 yr in 1 country just to do photography quite interesting. Perhaps i might want to learn full time photography.

What's the average salary like?

XsteelWolf said:
I see those photographers everytime get to sit helicopters do landscape shots etc,spent 1 yr in 1 country just to do photography quite interesting. Perhaps i might want to learn full time photography.

when u start thinking about the salary, u can forget about focusing on the photography as an art liao.

Spore have such things meh? :think:

XsteelWolf said:

XsteelWolf said:
Brought by D70S few months back,too lazy to test it and just dump into my cupboard.Yesterday,took it to Pasir Ris Park and shoot.

Ignore the date and time stamp,just forgot to change it .

http://xsteelwolf.deviantart.com

Please rate my shoots for a 16 1/2 yrs old guy.(First time using DSLR)

We are talking to a teenage boy now.

Hi XsteelWolf,

Is best to enjoy photography as a hobby, when you talking about livinghood, even the most enjoyable thing in the world you had to do it everyday, to work until you retire, is no more fun thing.

Most people only see the glamour side of professional photographers, every star of a success story, is make possible by 100 of average Joe, and 1000 of losers. Everybody only knows about the star, nobody will remember the rest of people.

Bro please remember one thing - you need also the drive to work to learn to do - its not a money for nothing affair. Catchlights has the right of it - every one remembers the star but not the other 1000 or more who are trying to make the dream come through while make ends meet as best as they can. Point if you got a D70 several months ago and is only now starting to shoot with it because you were too lazy - then may be you need to rethink about this. To be sucessful you need to be creative on top of being technicallly savvy. All of which mean blood, sweat, tears kind of work - no pictures that sing, dance and scream you can forget the big bucks, no picture that please and your payment starts to go soft. Better to be an educated with degree paper pusher - you could survive doing only what is required of you ...for now 10 years down the road I do not know.

Venom81 said:
Spore have such things meh? :think:

I read from those national geographic books all those quite fun. Anyway, i am not sure about this cause choosing a course in poly mar,must have know what i am aiming for.

XsteelWolf said:
I read from those national geographic books all those quite fun. Anyway, i am not sure about this cause choosing a course in poly mar,must have know what i am aiming for.

dun try to make ur hobby as ur ricebowl... u'll end up being very miserable yrs down the road..

nvm nvm , wat ever u want in life , u must
gar gar qiong, mai kia

think how many people are out there pursuing life , the kind of life they want.

dun get stuck in the rat chase , n then when u do regret , at least u can console yourself that u make the choice

if you are at the crossroads of life and need to make a choice
i suggest that you go out and work for a while,
experience what it is like and talk to old timers

and then sit down and think if this is what you want to do
for the rest of your life.

But once you have made a choice, go all out and be the best that you can be.
no matter what job you choose.

Even the best rojak seller makes good money

You remind me of myself when I was facing the same decision of what to study in poly. I had an interest in one of the arts courses, but realisticly, had nothing to show for it. I sucked in drawing and needless to say no portfolio of any kind. In the end I did IT because it was the closest thing I could develop an interest in.

Fact is, you don't know what you want to do next. Best advice I can give, you are still young, give yourself more time to decide on what you want to do as an adult. There are some people out there who were given a head start and they start being a highflyer early in life. Most of us aren't like that, we need time to find direction. Be careful what you reach for in case you fall flat on your face.

You still have to decide on which poly course to study, so sit down, research the courses and get a better understanding what each one gives. Shortlist those which sound promising, and work something out. It won't be easy, and it'll get very tough if you choose something you find no interest in. I say strive to finish the diploma, if you end up enjoying what you study, good. Else, at least you have a diploma of something. Good luck.

ortega said:
if you are at the crossroads of life and need to make a choice
i suggest that you go out and work for a while,
experience what it is like and talk to old timers

and then sit down and think if this is what you want to do
for the rest of your life.

But once you have made a choice, go all out and be the best that you can be.
no matter what job you choose.

Even the best rojak seller makes good money

Fully agree with Ortega.

Passion + Dream = +1........+infinity (can be up or down though)

I don't fully subscribe to the thinking that hobby and career cannot come together. Another think I learnt after working for sometime. Nobody will tell you that his career is the best - no need to work hard and earn lots of money. In fact, most will tell you not to get into their trade no matter how great you might think it is. So go for it for if you seek hard, you will definitely find it.

cheers
:)

1 2 move up in singapore corporate ladder , yes u need
cert , diploma, degree, MBA, PHD etc

photography is beauty in the eyes of the beholder,

XsteelWolf said:

Most of them do not hold any degree or even a cert in photography. Instead, some of them are masters in other field like political science, maths etc.

Go read up their profile if ya dun believe.

Most graphic design courses in Singapore would have 1 or more photography modules. Some universities allow you to take photography as an elective or as part of media/journalism course. Or you can just join a photography club if your school has it...

I'm in the same kind of situation right now, really at the crossroads of whether to pursue my dreams of becoming a photographer or continue with my education in a local university.

I was from multimedia course back in poly, am now in a computing course which has no relevance with my diploma. More or less I've been encouraged by people to take the computing course on, and I'm suffering bad now. It's not something I would want to study. My biggest interest is in photography, I've worked in the media line, also as photographer assistant, and it's really what I want.:cool: But when I tell people my decision, they say I'm mad.:cry:

Is it really wrong to come out of a course not your choice to pursue photography? :dunno: I'm really at a lost. Read previous posts, a commercial photographer whom I want to work for also told me same thing, says photography is better off as a hobby, and that working as one is hard life.

Sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.